Starting from the carpark on Peters Creek Road, at the junction of Knott Hill Road, Kangarilla, this walk takes you on a circuit around Knott Hill Forest Reserve via the Heysen Trail and Old Coach Road. The Onkeeta Trail is a scenic 10km circuit that circles the entire Knott Hill Forest Reserve, taking in the Ironbark picnic area and winding along the border of the Mount Panorama Native Forest Reserve. The trail runs mostly through or alongside grassland and native forest, with pine plantations and sections of remnant bushland of the Mount Lofty Ranges. Most of the trail is along wide service roads with a moderate gradient, making for a very easy walk. The multi-use trail is suitable for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. Let us begin by acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we travel today, and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
Before you start any bushwalk ensure you;
• Tell someone you trust where you are going and what to do if you are overdue
• Have adequate equipment, supplies, skills & knowledge for the whole journey
• Consider the impact of weather forecasts, park/track closures & fire dangers
• Can respond to emergencies & call for help at any point
• Are healthy and fit enough for this journey
If not, change plans and stay safe. It is okay to delay and ask people for help.