Radix freeze-dried meals?

Food topics, including recipes.

Radix freeze-dried meals?

Postby Stew63 » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 12:46 pm

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with Radix freeze-dried meals from NZ? Are they a healthier alternative to BackCountry products? Opinions?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Radix freeze-dried meals?

Postby rustyjus » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 5:34 pm

I looked into them at one stage... they look great.

but ended up ordering freezdried meals from this mob in Wanaka .... http://www.localdehy.co.nz

I find on the longer walks, I crave for whole foods and vegetables and less additives.
rustyjus
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kott » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 6:24 pm

I tried them while I was hiking in NZ. they dont seem to have any crap in them and taste alright
Kott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Aardvark » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 7:16 pm

Not long after they first became available we had some sent by post to our south island destination. What appealed to us was the better nutritional profile.
We weren't disappointed at all and they were a welcome range to the previous use of 'Backcountry' options.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Neo » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 8:09 pm

Surely most any edible items would be better than BackCountry meals! Crieky, have tried two and a dessert, so salty and processed, the latter like a bowl of sugar. How does that stuff still exist :(
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kott » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 8:20 am

yeah...that's one thing that still blows my mind, hoow people eat crap food like backcountry etc.
If anything, Radix was a tad salty but then again...we kind of need the salt if we are active and end up sweating all day.

I usually just tend to use this kind of food on longer hikes and only for dinners
Kott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Stew63 » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies :D
Was placing an order just now for the shipment of Radix but most of the ones I wanted are all out of stock and none of their chicken meals can be sent to Australia. Bummer...

I'm wary of my daily sodium intake and set myself a tracked limit of ~1350mg/day - but when it comes to lightweight hiking food it's difficult to plan around only 1350mg/day as everything has so much salt. Jerky, noodles, salamis, bread, cheese etc. The sodium in most Radix meals (apart from a couple) is about ~700mg/meal which is similar to a frozen SuperFoods 'healthy' meal from Woolies.

I don't puke from eating the BackCountry meals they're okayish - not expecting 5 star dining from a packet and they are readily available and do the job - better than the hiking crap we use to eat in the '70s. The Radix just look a bit healthier.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Bush Tucker