Radix freeze-dried meals?

Food topics, including recipes.

Radix freeze-dried meals?

Postby Stew63 » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 12:46 pm

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with Radix freeze-dried meals from NZ? Are they a healthier alternative to BackCountry products? Opinions?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Radix freeze-dried meals?

Postby rustyjus » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 5:34 pm

I looked into them at one stage... they look great.

but ended up ordering freezdried meals from this mob in Wanaka .... http://www.localdehy.co.nz

I find on the longer walks, I crave for whole foods and vegetables and less additives.
rustyjus
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kott » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 6:24 pm

I tried them while I was hiking in NZ. they dont seem to have any crap in them and taste alright
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Aardvark » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 7:16 pm

Not long after they first became available we had some sent by post to our south island destination. What appealed to us was the better nutritional profile.
We weren't disappointed at all and they were a welcome range to the previous use of 'Backcountry' options.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Neo » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 8:09 pm

Surely most any edible items would be better than BackCountry meals! Crieky, have tried two and a dessert, so salty and processed, the latter like a bowl of sugar. How does that stuff still exist :(
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kott » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 8:20 am

yeah...that's one thing that still blows my mind, hoow people eat crap food like backcountry etc.
If anything, Radix was a tad salty but then again...we kind of need the salt if we are active and end up sweating all day.

I usually just tend to use this kind of food on longer hikes and only for dinners
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Stew63 » Tue 02 Jun, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies :D
Was placing an order just now for the shipment of Radix but most of the ones I wanted are all out of stock and none of their chicken meals can be sent to Australia. Bummer...

I'm wary of my daily sodium intake and set myself a tracked limit of ~1350mg/day - but when it comes to lightweight hiking food it's difficult to plan around only 1350mg/day as everything has so much salt. Jerky, noodles, salamis, bread, cheese etc. The sodium in most Radix meals (apart from a couple) is about ~700mg/meal which is similar to a frozen SuperFoods 'healthy' meal from Woolies.

I don't puke from eating the BackCountry meals they're okayish - not expecting 5 star dining from a packet and they are readily available and do the job - better than the hiking crap we use to eat in the '70s. The Radix just look a bit healthier.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 7:17 pm

I just put in an order with Radix as they have some keto offerings, which is something I struggle to find in anything ready to heat and eat. There is a company in the US doing keto/low carb, but don't think they would get through customs.
Shipping to me in rural NSW was $14.95 for 6x meals.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Thu 14 Apr, 2022 1:57 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:I just put in an order with Radix as they have some keto offerings

So what did you think of them, Ms Mudd?

It's the keto aspect that appeals to me.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Thu 14 Apr, 2022 8:59 am

I tried the 600 grass fed barbecue beef. Was ok, didn't want the last two spoonfuls, prefer not to eat again. Next I'll try the mint lamb then a vego meal.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Thu 05 May, 2022 12:19 am

After eating/enjoying other freeze-dried brands over 30years I thought I'd give Radix a go. The name was 'snappy', the meal/nutrient options good and the silver meal sachels looked cool. BUT...

*I bought 2 Radix dinners and a breakfast. Now I'm definitely not a fussy eater but the Radix Mint Lamb dinner was totally gross - basically inedible.
The Radix breakfast was the mixed berry breakfast and was so ridiculously SWEET it was inedible - after 2 small spoonfuls I threw it all out and had a CupOfSoup instead.
(*Mixed with water exactly as per the instructions on packet)

After the first Radix meal and breakfast I just couldn't stomach any more Radix.

Would never buy Radix again nor recommend.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Thu 05 May, 2022 6:34 am

Recently I ate two Strive meals and they were very good! They do require some cooking by boiling and simmering.
The laksa was nice and the chicken pesto pasta was nice, ate that two nights in a row.
Definitely worth the fuel and water weight for most trip lengths.
I start with fresh for the fist 1-2 days then will go for Strive for dried delicious convenience!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 11 May, 2022 7:42 am

One of the interesting and good things about radix is they are high calorie for their weight. Significantly better calorie to weight ratio than backcountry etc. (For the ultra 800 cal meals I haven't looked into the ratio for the 'original' meals.

All their ultra meals come in a 800 calorie single servings which makes planning easier.

I haven't eaten any yet though..
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby headwerkn » Wed 11 May, 2022 9:54 am

I've tried a few meals (a couple of dinners and their mixed berry breakfast) and wasn't impressed with any of them. Barely palatable and kinda 'fake' tasting.

For comparison I'm the kinda person who finds Backcountry Nasi Goreng "perfectly edible"... As much as I prefer to use expensive (and increasingly hard to get) freeze-dried curries and bulk them out with my own vegetables and rice , I'm no culinary snob out in the bush ;-)

I really wish someone would develop a sub-AU$2000 domestic freeze-drier...
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ribuck » Wed 11 May, 2022 6:40 pm

The Radix breakfasts are interesting because they rehydrate with cold water.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregR » Sat 14 May, 2022 10:25 pm

I have found the Radix meals delicious and filling and campers Pantry a close second. Shows that we all different tastes.

On a recent hike around the Kellys Hut area I tried the Strive Mexican Chilli Beef and although incredibly tasty, it was also incredibly fast to zap thru my system. Luckily I was at a car camp the next morning! That night I tried the Radix version with no adverse reaction. Since then I have settled on a mix of Radix and Campers Pantry with all exceeding expectations. I'm a fan. Over Easter up in the Cobberas I made the statement that "I would actually eat this at home" *

My 2c worth.

Cheers
Greg

* of course I haven't.
GregR

Postby wayno » Mon 16 May, 2022 6:03 pm

just looking at the ingredients of the mixed berry breakfast, someone here complaining how it was far too sweet
it contains: "Sweetener (Monk Fruit Extract)." another website claims "Monk fruit extract is 150 to 200 times sweeter than sugar" which might account for it
one of the dinners has 700mg of sodium, thats what you get in nearly half a teaspoon of salt.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby ribuck » Tue 17 May, 2022 7:30 am

wayno wrote:one of the dinners has 700mg of sodium, thats what you get in nearly half a teaspoon of salt.

It's a third of a teaspoon of salt, and about a third of the standard intake for a sedentary lifestyle. Assuming it's one of Radix's 800 calorie meals, that provides roughly one third of the sedentary calorific requirement.

Active bushwalkers require more calories, and sweat out more salt which needs to be replenished, so the amount of salt in that Radix meal sounds about right to me.
Last edited by ribuck on Tue 17 May, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Tue 17 May, 2022 10:39 am

another NZ brand
https://realmeals.co.nz/

i havent eaten them, one of the owners is Nathan Favaae world adventure racing champ. uses them on his races..
they claim that the food may taste better because they start with the fresh produce themselves before freeze drying it
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby adventuremum » Sat 09 Jul, 2022 9:03 pm

Realmeals used to be called Absolute Wilderness.
We bought some when in NZ X years ago & liked them (Wilderness Stew, Tom Kha Gai). (Way better than backcountry)
My kid liked the deserts (but they seem to have cut out his favourites)
Not sure if they're shipping to AU?
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker