Gear list and questions from noob

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: Gear list and questions from noob

Postby north-north-west » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 7:27 am

Amahb wrote:Also, on the water. About 1.5kms past Kitchen Hut you come to the Fury River (its shown on the map). This is a good source of water as well. A great camp spot too.

You don't camp in the daywalk area except in an emergency. How many times does this have to be said?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 7:43 am

Dozens of us often drink untreated water from the outlet of Kathleens Pool, and the Fury 'River', and have never had any problems. Can't guarantee that for you, of course.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby timh » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 10:00 am

Tortoise wrote:Dozens of us often drink untreated water from the outlet of Kathleens Pool, and the Fury 'River', and have never had any problems. Can't guarantee that for you, of course.

Thanks. I'll filter it all anyway to be safe, just needed to know if it was available.
timh
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby coimon » Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:04 am

A question for you Tim, what's the reasoning for your choice of Icebreaker merino mini-crew + Coolmax sock liner?

Thanks
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby timh » Fri 24 Jan, 2020 7:42 am

coimon wrote:A question for you Tim, what's the reasoning for your choice of Icebreaker merino mini-crew + Coolmax sock liner?

Thanks

Simply that I read elsewhere that it's (liner sock under merino sock) a method of reducing/preventing blisters that works for others, so I tried them out in my training and have found it very comfortable. Yet to try it on a multi-day hike though, so ask me again in two weeks when I've returned from the OT :)
timh
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby coimon » Fri 24 Jan, 2020 8:54 pm

Fair enough, I don't have blister issues but then again I don't walk in the rain in runners normally... definitely interested to hear how you go!
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:14 pm

You can forget about all of this now. You are as prepared as you can be. Blisters come what may, it's going to... great. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zaeed » Tue 28 Jan, 2020 1:18 pm

Have fun Tim.. I'm now starting on the 1st so might not catch you, enjoy.

As for blisters, I often shove some strapping tape over the sections of my feet that are prone to blisters and have no issues.
Zaeed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby timh » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 8:09 pm

Back in Launceston, fly home tmrw. What an incredible week, will never forget it.

Heat, cold, rain, more rain, snow, hail, more rain. Slept in tent every night. Loved every minute.

No blisters, Dexshell socks are fantastic, trail runners were fine. Took too much food.

Right knee got sore, will need to work on that. Lack of training and stretching i think.

Diversion to Scott Kilvert... I'd recommend walking on to Windemere. That downhill at the end of day one was... tough... the smart walkers walked on.

Regardless, an awesome week. Incredible terrain, views, vegetation. I'm hooked, planning my next trip already.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.
timh
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Eremophila » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 10:37 pm

Well done and thanks for the feedback :D
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby coimon » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 10:48 pm

Happy to hear you had a great time! :D

I see you're hacking on your lighterpack list already :lol: What are you planning for?
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby timh » Fri 07 Feb, 2020 10:40 am

I tried to create a new lighterpack list and leave the original untouched but stuffed it up on the tablet, clumsy fingers.

Planning on OT again, maybe next year. Thinking Grampians Peaks trail in spring this year. Great ocean walk maybe. Bibbilmum track has my interest if i can get enough time off work.

I exchanged emails with a guy from Canada i met on the OT. 2.5kg base weight. Better start saving...

I want to get my 7 day departing weight below 10kgs. So lighter tent and pack are the easy but expensive hacks. Lighter down jacket and mid layer. More efficient food planning.

My stratospire 1 was brilliant in the nasty weather, but its a bit heavy and really too big - I dont need 2 vestibules. I also want a single pole tent so if i break a pole i still have one to put the tent up.
timh
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Rexyviney36 » Tue 11 Feb, 2020 8:41 pm

I'm going to put it out there that a ranger at Lake Vera in December told me that catching the ferry from Narcissus is 100% doing the whole OT. She said that many people, herself included, don't consider the Narcissus to Cynthia Bay track as part of the OT.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 Feb, 2020 9:23 pm

Rexyviney36 wrote:I'm going to put it out there that a ranger at Lake Vera in December told me that catching the ferry from Narcissus is 100% doing the whole OT. She said that many people, herself included, don't consider the Narcissus to Cynthia Bay track as part of the OT.

Then why is the big southern OT sign at Cynthia Bay rather than Narcissus?

The OT was originally Cynthia Bay to Waldheim. Then the northern end was changed (marginally) to Ronny Creek. The official length (80km) has never been changed - and that requires walking the Lakeside Track. The official southern end has never been changed; it has always been Cynthia Bay.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tino B » Tue 11 Feb, 2020 9:24 pm

Hey Tim, glad you had a good time on the OLT.

How did you find the bulk of the Dexshells, which ones did you use.

The number one weight saving you can make on a long hike is with food. Buy a dehydrator and develop your own meals - don’t carry water in food. Try “freezer bag cooking” so you need to carry less fuel. Go high cal with olive oil, peanut butter, coconut oil, nuts, chocolate.

Shelter options might come from Locus Gear ($$$), Hyperlite Mountain Gear (also $$$), Mountain Laurel Designs.

Warmer walks might mean a light quilt <500g could work. I have a Katabatic Gear 30f quilt (600g) that performs well to -3c with very light thermals. Enlightened Equipment make some kit that could save weight.

If you carry about 5.2kg if food for 7 days you need a base weight of 4.8kg to hit your goal. It cost me about $3.5k to get to around that for my non-Tassie non-Alpine kit

Get your Lighterpack sorted and post it:)
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby timh » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 11:03 am

Tino B wrote:Hey Tim, glad you had a good time on the OLT.

How did you find the bulk of the Dexshells, which ones did you use.

The number one weight saving you can make on a long hike is with food. Buy a dehydrator and develop your own meals - don’t carry water in food. Try “freezer bag cooking” so you need to carry less fuel. Go high cal with olive oil, peanut butter, coconut oil, nuts, chocolate.

Shelter options might come from Locus Gear ($$$), Hyperlite Mountain Gear (also $$$), Mountain Laurel Designs.

Warmer walks might mean a light quilt <500g could work. I have a Katabatic Gear 30f quilt (600g) that performs well to -3c with very light thermals. Enlightened Equipment make some kit that could save weight.

If you carry about 5.2kg if food for 7 days you need a base weight of 4.8kg to hit your goal. It cost me about $3.5k to get to around that for my non-Tassie non-Alpine kit

Get your Lighterpack sorted and post it:)

I took a pair of these:

https://www.dexshellaustralia.com.au/pr ... mpaign=map

I wore coolmax liner socks, then the Dexshells, with my Salamon XA Pro 3D trail runners (which are one size larger than my normal shoes). I found them very comfortable, no blisters for the entire trip, either wearing the liner/Dexshell or liner/merino socks. Didn't tape my feet at all except on day one when I thought I had a hot spot, didn't bother for the rest of the trip.

Ended up with one black toenail (4th on right foot), I think because when my shoes got wet on day 3 they stretched a bit and I didn't tighten the laces up soon enough. I got into the habit of checking the laces after an hour or so walking, seemed to sort it.

The Dexshells were brilliant. Completely waterproof, at the end of the day the liner socks were just slightly damp from sweat. I was walking straight through standing water and mud, and as you'd expect walking in a mini-creek bed as the rain was running down the track. Feet stayed dry and warm. I wore the Dexshells on the last day which was dry and sunny but there were still puddles around. Feet didn't get hot but I was stepping in water every now and again. If it had been completely dry I would have switched back to the merino socks + liners.

At night I'd slip my sleep socks on over my dry liner socks, trail runners left in the vestibule, Dexshells wrung out and hung from a ridgeline cord inside my tent. Everyone else was trying to dry their leather boots by the heaters, mostly without success it seemed. I didn't regret trail runners for a minute, although without the Dexshells I think I would have.

I definitely took too much food. I was never hungry, had to force myself to finish my evening meals at times. My cooking I heat the meal up then turn the gas off and use my beanie as a cosy, put the whole pot/lid inside it, so similar to freezer bag cooking. I could get away with a 100gm gas canister rather than the 230gm I took. Left the used canister at the Lake St Clair visitor centre since I couldn't fly home with it, wish I could have weighed it.

Refined lighter pack is here https://lighterpack.com/r/fdgnbu

Already ordered a lighter pad, fleece, down jacket - still deciding on which UL tent to get, think it will be either TT Aeon Li or Notch Li. Notch looks better for Tassie conditions but is slightly heavier than Aeon. I've looked at the MLD but not the others you mentioned, I'll do some more research.

With the Aeon Li it will be a 6.3kg base weight for Overland Track conditions, it was expensive getting to there. I have a Larapinta list going, currently a base weight of 4.7kg with no stove - not sure if I can stomach cold soaked dinners yet, need to experiment.
timh
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby timh » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 11:17 am

north-north-west wrote:

and as you get closer to the visitor centre there are multiple signs stating you're on the Overland Track.

20200205_150654.jpg

20200205_145732.jpg
timh
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Rexyviney36 » Thu 13 Feb, 2020 9:43 am

north-north-west wrote:
Rexyviney36 wrote:I'm going to put it out there that a ranger at Lake Vera in December told me that catching the ferry from Narcissus is 100% doing the whole OT. She said that many people, herself included, don't consider the Narcissus to Cynthia Bay track as part of the OT.

The OT was originally Cynthia Bay to Waldheim. Then the northern end was changed (marginally) to Ronny Creek. The official length (80km) has never been changed - and that requires walking the Lakeside Track. The official southern end has never been changed; it has always been Cynthia Bay.

Guess you would have to ask her that?
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Feb, 2020 9:59 am

I don't need to ask. The fact is that the official southern end of the Overland Track is, and always has been, Cynthia Bay. Saying that it's at Narcissus is like saying the Stuart Highway finishes at Katherine rather than Darwin simply because there''s an airport there and you can fly the rest of the way.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tino B » Fri 14 Feb, 2020 5:44 pm

Two things.
First, thanks for the info on Dexshells Tim, I’m eagerly awaiting delivery of the same ones you used.

Second, last April I arrived at Narcissus from Pine Valley about three hours before the ferry. I had a chat to the ranger and he said it’s a nice day why don’t you walk, so I decided to make my way to Cynthia Bay by foot. I’m so glad that I did - beautiful forest, great views when I met the shore, lovely lunch spot on the beach at Echo Point, and prolonged my adventure for 3 hours. I also don’t have to live with the burden of not knowing if I actually completed the track or just tacked a nice walk on the end.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby timh » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 9:19 am

100% agree. I was in a bit of pain with a sore knee, but I still enjoyed the walk around the lake. It was different to the rest of the track, somewhat easier but that gave me time to reflect on the week just gone (and my knee appreciated it). I would do it again given the opportunity.
timh
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 6:02 pm

All good - just relaying a conversation I had.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain