Tent recommendation please?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent recommendation please?

Postby Stew63 » Sun 12 May, 2019 5:58 pm

I'm looking for advice/recommendation on a solid 1person tent for use in the Japanese Alps above 10,000ft. Many of the designated campsites up there are somewhat rocky and sloping so would need to be able to set up without pegs. Obviously a tent suitable for strong winds and some snow loading. My lightweight CF LocusGear Khafra is just not suitable.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Tent recommendation please?

Postby crollsurf » Sun 12 May, 2019 7:13 pm

No pegs, strong winds and snow. Good luck!

Maybe a bivy might work but can't thing of a tent that will match that criteria.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby bernieq » Sun 12 May, 2019 9:11 pm

Tarptent Scarp 1 with crossing poles - they claim 4-season, free-standing,

The WE 2nd Arrow is definitely 4+ season but needs 3 pegs (2 front and 1 rear). They claim 1+ person.

I have a Scarp 1 (without crossing poles) and a WE 1st Arrow (2+ person). Both are good tents but the WE is bomb-proof.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Watertank » Mon 13 May, 2019 6:42 am

Hilleberg have some tents that will fit your needs - not light weight but otherwise they are free standing and will deal with snow. I have an Unna. The lack of vestibule may annoy you but there are other options in the one or two person range.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 13 May, 2019 7:25 am

Hey Stew,

The Hilleberg Soulo is my favourite 4 season tent of the many 4 season tents I have owned over the years...

Freestanding, 3 pole, self supported vestibule, very easy to pitch and incredibly snow and wind resistant. It is a very heavy for a 1 person tent at 2.2kg but the peace of mind in horrible weather is worth it. This is coming from a die hard Ultralighter as well...

https://us.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/red-label-tents/soulo/

You wouldn't necessarily need a freestanding tent for those rocky environments. You could always stake the tent down with rocks. Its not hard at all. This would allow you to bring a tunnel tent if that's the route you wanted to go.

Here is the Soulo from last weekend.
Attachments
Soulo - Copy.jpg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnrs » Mon 13 May, 2019 10:35 am

Heh Stew
Another suggestion is a Goondie 1, strong little dome, so self supporting but needs pegs to stop it blowing away.
Also like the WEW second Arrow for more space
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Tue 14 May, 2019 9:28 am

A lot of photos from those Japanese camp sites show the classic two crossed poles design, possibly started by Todd Bibler with it's I Tent.
That is because you can fit them into the same space two mats take up
246427.jpg

I don't think that it is a good design for much else but ideal for that type of situation.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stew63 » Tue 14 May, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks for all the good replies and suggestions - researching all of them now...
Zapruda my initial and only idea was the Soulo too - do you still own one?

As an UL hiker getting a tent that weighs more than 500gm is like asking me to change religions! :lol: But I'm just going to have to wear it this time.
Just to clarify - I can't peg it down with pegs into the ground/earth - but I can tie down to small, heavy rocks.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 14 May, 2019 9:41 pm

Pitons hammered into cracks too don't forget so maybe worthwhile trying to find some old bent knife blade ones cheap Not ultra light tho Nite-Ize S-biners too
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 15 May, 2019 7:16 am

Stew63 wrote: Zapruda my initial and only idea was the Soulo too - do you still own one?

Yep, still own one. I have had two in the gear cupboard at one stage... :oops: They really are a worthwhile investment and I think you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Stew63 wrote: As an UL hiker getting a tent that weighs more than 500gm is like asking me to change religions! :lol: But I'm just going to have to wear it this time.

Agreed x 100. But the right gear for the right situations, I guess.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Sat 18 May, 2019 8:50 am

Zapruda wrote:
Stew63 wrote: As an UL hiker getting a tent that weighs more than 500gm is like asking me to change religions! :lol: But I'm just going to have to wear it this time.

Agreed x 100.

I'll just have to down a couple of whiskeys before I hit the PAY button on that 2kg tent then come on here to complain about it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zapruda » Sun 19 May, 2019 5:32 pm

Stew63 wrote:
Zapruda wrote:

Agreed x 100.

I'll just have to down a couple of whiskeys before I hit the PAY button on that 2kg tent then come on here to complain about it :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s my technique! Hasn’t failed me yet.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Mon 27 May, 2019 10:58 pm

Zap - I thought you had a red Khafra or Khufu?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 28 May, 2019 1:06 am

Hey Stew, yes I had a red DCF Kuhfu with solid inner. It was a beautiful mid but unfortunately, even though I had custom sizing, it still wasnt tall enough and the sloping walls really bothered me.

After extensive use of various mids I really don’t believe that they are a true 4 season shelter. Snow pushes the walls in and wind really gives them trouble. Spindrift gets in under the edges and they aren’t easy to handle setting up in the wind.

They are great for fair weather spring ski trips though.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Al M » Sun 23 Jun, 2019 4:12 pm

Should consider the latest Big Agnes light tents https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Tents/Crazylight
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Franco » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 9:22 am

The main point of those Crazylight tent is the weight , I don't think anyone will buy them as a mountaineering/expedition type shelter.
This is from the REI BA tiger Wall product page :

Note from the vendor: These tents are not for everyone. Our Carbon Series products were designed to push the weight boundaries in tents. They feature some of the lightest weight and most technologically advanced materials on the market. Special care during setup and extended trips is important, as rough handling, long-term abrasion, exposure to sharp objects or rocky campsite selection may result in fabric punctures and tears.

View all Big Agnes Backpacking Tents
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment