Keppel's hut track is now clear. 8.5.19

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Keppel's hut track is now clear. 8.5.19

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 08 May, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi. Some DIY track clearing by two volunteers , has now rendered the track from Keppel's hut to Lake Mtn.'s hut loop ski trail in a vastly improved state. I think that will make access on XC skis a whole lot easier this white season. :)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: Keppel's hut track is now clear. 8.5.19

Postby Xplora » Thu 09 May, 2019 5:41 am

I notice you left all the cut debris on the track. That poses a considerable hazard once wet. When track clearing, cut debris is removed from the track. You appear to be going to way of another with unauthorised track clearing. It would be better if you spoke with the land managers to arrange these events. The VNPA group has some punch and could assist. Bushwalking Vic do a great job getting together with Parks Vic. I have arranged track clearing in Parks with just one meeting. Much more can be achieved with a larger group. Look at how Hannels spur was cleared in NSW and the AAWT recently near Mt. Wills. While I can understand your frustration at what appears to be a lack of interest on the part of PV in some tracks, you are placing yourself at serious risk of prosecution and you also are not covered by public liability insurance. Over-reaction? Not in this day and age. The person you appear to be emulating is already on the PV watch list for his illegal activity. The other thing to do, or better not to do, is draw attention to your unauthorised activities by posting it everywhere.

I have found it better also to develop trust and relationships with land managers. This takes time but it pays off. We get involved in many projects locally and now help organise them with the land managers. Nth East Catchment Management is funding one for us. We now have a presence which gives us a voice that land managers listen to. Just some suggestions offered with good intent. Take it or leave it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 09 May, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. I don't have much interest in doing any other kind of track clearing anywhere else unless one goes through the right avenues that you have referred to . I approached the relevant channels in this matter via e mail and ph. and got no results.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Thu 09 May, 2019 8:37 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Thanks for the advice. I don't have much interest in doing any other kind of track clearing anywhere else unless one goes through the right avenues that you have referred to . I approached the relevant channels in this matter via e mail and ph. and got no results.

This would be a good thing. That is, you getting involved in track clearing that is authorised. As a member of the VNPA and a leader to be precise, your unauthorised work would not be aligned with its roles and values. There is certainly plenty of opportunity for that to be rectified. As an individual, you need to build relationships and trust but the VNPA have already done that and that is a better way to approach these issues which concern you. Calling or sending an email as a random is less effective. You will recall that the ranger at Khancobin told you there was nothing that could be done about Hannels Spur and then all of a sudden work is underway. How?

I deal constantly with government officers and politicians. One thing I have found is that a group with a name has more clout than a single voice, for the most part. Use the voice you already have and do some good work.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 09 May, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks , I will see if in future that the VNPA can be a useful channel in this regard .The VNPA Bushwalking and activities group's programme is shrinking and I don't seem to be leading many trips at all. I post them in the programme but takers are few and far between. Meanwhile I am just back to my usual supply drops in selected locations before the XC ski season commences.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 10 May, 2019 5:41 am

The average age of VNPA members is increasing. There is a drive to bring in some young blood but it still has a good conservation voice and is well recognised by governments and authorities. Hope that is not lost in time. It may be difficult to recruit older VNPA members to a task like track clearing. Chatting with the ranger who did the AAWT clearing and he said it is not just about clearing a track that is your favourite. You have to stress the importance of the track to everyone. Tracks that are used by lots of different types of people will get more attention. Historical significance is important also.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 10 May, 2019 9:44 am

The Mt. Bogong Club did not do any track clearing on Long Spur over the ANZAC day long weekend. I suggested replacing a rotten fallen snow pole near the T spur/ Long Spur junction. The Vice President said that was a worthwhile activity and so we went off and did it.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 11 May, 2019 6:39 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Mt. Bogong Club did not do any track clearing on Long Spur over the ANZAC day long weekend. I suggested replacing a rotten fallen snow pole near the T spur/ Long Spur junction. The Vice President said that was a worthwhile activity and so we went off and did it.

Track clearing on the Long Spur was conducted last year by a team of Bogong Club members on the working bee weekend. Permission was sought and given by PV with some specific directions. We were not able to attend this year and the Long Spur is not too bad. A couple of places with overhanging vegetation. Track clearing may not happen every year but it does from time to time, when needed. A number of snow poles were replaced last year as well. Sometimes there are so many people that it is hard to find jobs to keep people occupied so finding your own job makes things easier for those organising. Last year was one such year. I have been told this year numbers were down but still plenty to get the big jobs done. A helicopter drop of sand and cement is supposed to be happening very soon and it will also remove rubbish from under the toilet. This is PV's part in assisting.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 8:15 pm

Keppel's hut track is clear and being used by walkers. The 4 x 4 track up there to the hut from Lady Talbot Drive is in poor condition and needs some grading and repairs.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes