Sundown

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Sundown

Postby gbagua » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 8:18 pm

We will finish unfinished business (Mt Donaldson + McAllisters Ck) on the w/end 27-28 of this month. Looking forward to hiking the park again now that weather has really cooled off. Let's hope there is WATER this time around.

[quote="weeds"]Heading into Sundown this weekend for an overnighter.....

What are you planning to do?
gbagua
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby weeds » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 8:42 pm

gbagua wrote:
What are you planning to do?

Done and dusted

It was a casual overnighter, three couples and it was the first overnight hike for one hiker.

We parked up at Nundubbermere Falls carpark.

Walked upstream along the Severn River for a swim at ??????? Holes or Tanks waterhole. The others are very keen climbers and spotted an good opportunity for some deep water solo/free climbing. We had a swim while watching the climbers in action.

Than it was up over the hill to a water hole called Bee Hive on the Severn and set up camp. Explored down river for a kilometer or two... went for another swim than back to the campsite.

Our leader was also keen to catch dinner, ended up cooking a yellow belly and a silver perch, quite tasty.

Walk out on the Sunday by following the Severn upstream to our start point. A couple of more swims (I practiced floating my pack across the river) , some boldering, a scramble to check out a cave, Monday Falls than the short slog up to the carpark.

Beers and pizza at the Brass Monkey Brewery.

A good weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 8:55 pm

Very relaxed, too relaxed I'd say but as long as you had fun that's what counts the most. No swimming for us though; it's going to be a lot chillier.
gbagua
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Mon 03 Feb, 2020 2:30 pm

Totally forgot to upload a couple of photos about the April 2019 trip:

Severn river at The Broadwater

Permanent Waterhole. It lost that title in 2019. First time ever? Who knows, it's possible.

Has anyone been there lately? Any water in the river system after the last bit of rain we had in the last two weeks.

I still got to complete the Mt Donaldson-McAllisters Ck Cct. Kind of a challenge since I failed in my previous two attempts. :oops:
gbagua
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Queensland