Instant healthy meals

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Instant healthy meals

Postby gbagua » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 7:14 pm

What brand would you recommend me? I need only one meal (warm breakfast) as the rest will be prepared at home. Not keen of having a cold and frugal breakfast now that weather is starting to get colder and especially after a gruelling 8 h hike the day before.

I also need an online link to purchase the stuff if needed.

Cheers!
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Instant healthy meals

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 7:17 pm

Cereal / muesli with warm milk.
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby weeds » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 8:11 pm

We just cereal, I go for clusters with rice milk powder in a zip lock bag and just add water and dried fruit.

The bride cooks oats using rice milk power and adds fruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 9:24 pm

As per above - a good quality muesli such as Brookfarm, or make your own. Add nuts/seeds/coconut/fruit/flax meal/oat bran/whatever. Portion into ziplocks with powdered milk or protein powder of your choice, add boiling water and sit 5 min.
Eremophila

Postby peregrinator » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 9:35 pm

Make your own muesli bars. No heating, just eating. In your sleeping bag. The preceding sentence satisfies your requirement of a warm breakfast. Perhaps.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 10:39 pm

Sometimes those porridge sachet with a few sultanas sprinkled in and two cups of coffee.
Petew

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 11:27 pm

I usually have a hot mug of Continental or Country Cup packet soup with a couple of buttered Tip Top Sandwich Thins. Potato and bacon flavour is one soup that works for me for breakfast. Followed up with hot coffee and breakfast biscuits or similar. Simple, cheap and readily available.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbagua » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 4:34 am

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to mention no dairy and cereal. Forgot about the soup option as it is really a warming food source I like. Will check out some of those and see. Mushroom with bacon would be a lovely combo.
gbagua

Postby Aardvark » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 5:34 am

Make some croutons from gluten free bread. (double toast it).
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 2:41 pm

Could be hard to get instant soup that is both milk products and cereal free. (that is if by cereal you mean corn,rice, wheat, barley,oats...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbagua » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 7:52 pm

Aardvark wrote:Make some croutons from gluten free bread. (double toast it).

...and add them to the soup! Yum, I had these when I was a kid. Loved them big time. Will definitively make some and take them to my upcoming Sundown trip. ;)
gbagua

Postby rustyjus » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 10:37 pm

I like brooks farm cereal with hydrated and warmed powdered coconut milk
rustyjus
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 9:45 am

rustyjus wrote:I like brooks farm cereal with hydrated and warmed powdered coconut milk

I just realised that those "cereals" are like the bacon and egg in this ad..
vegan-bacon-egg-cheese-biscuit-wfade.jpg

life could be simpler if we called a spade a spade.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Fri 19 Apr, 2019 9:38 am

...a spade. +1 I seem unable to reconcile the apparent need for non-meat eaters to emulate meat products. Nothing wrong with eating a plant based diet, however do you need them to look like the meat original?
Back to the OP Q. An instant healthy meal - and vego, is beans. Ful medames, or for meat, boston baked beans. Both can be dehyd'd for storage and weight convenience and rehydrated overnight for a quick reheat in the morning. Muslims have been rockin that tasty broad bean brekky during ramadan for ages. Try it, you'll be surprised when realising you've not stopped for morno's - the dish really keeps you going. Ensure EV olive oil is added for flavour, calories AND the much needed mouthfeel missing in dehydes. There are other benefits for those who may not be quite as regular in the field.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Thu 02 May, 2019 11:13 am

Home made muesli for breakfast, which I make in a 20 L bucket every 3 months.
At home lots of extras (like yoghurt and fresh fruit), but in the bush we have 'oat milk' on it. Chuckle: 'oat milk' is just cold or warm water added to the raw oats. So much for the food-faddists. :D

The trouble with all the 'instant soup' packets is a gross excess of added salt. We have to share a one-person packet between two in order to get the salt level down to tolerable.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby havanainthebush » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 11:23 pm

I go vegan because I'm lactose intolerant. Dodgy bowels in the middle of nowhere is not fun!

In Woolies and Coles, they sell dehyrated coconut milk powder. Get some of that and mix it with some water and add your cereal of choice.
I like the gluten free rice flakes you can also buy in the gluten free section of Woolies or Coles. I soak it in this liquid mix overnight then boil it up in the morning so it takes less gas. I add raisins and almond meal sometimes to beef it up. Almond meal is a great breakfast porridge alone and that takes no time.

Another idea, is scrambled eggs on some toast.

If weight isn't an issue, you can buy cheap avocados that are usually very small and enough for 1 day. Cut one half for breakie and eat the rest for lunch with some bread or crackers.

Basically, any powdered or fine milled grains, nuts or seeds make a good warm gruel. I've blitzed up sunflower seeds (makes a great milk) with oats and quinoa flakes to make a powder which I add coconut milk powder to. I make variations with powdered walnuts, almonds, macadamias, chia, cashews etc to keep things interesting. Nut powders like Almond powder also makes it creamy like milk.
havanainthebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby havanainthebush » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 11:29 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention, instant miso soup with tofu/seaweed/dried onions and rice vermicelli glass noodles! Add a touch of cayenne pepper and you'd in heaven!

If you have time, make pancakes! You can use almond meal, buckwheat flour, or whatever and powdered egg or psyilium husk or baking powder to help it rise. Prepare the pancake powder mix in a zipper beforehand and just add water and some oil or add coconut milk powder. Make it interesting by adding either a sweet or savoury flavour like bacon bits or lemon myrtle leaf.
havanainthebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:23 am

Well, due to a recent miscalculation, I had a breakfast of Chicken Noodle Soup and Savoury Shapes.
I survived, however not sure I'd recommend it as a long-term solution.
:)
ChrisJHC

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 8:48 am

ChrisJHC wrote:Well, due to a recent miscalculation, I had a breakfast of Chicken Noodle Soup and Savoury Shapes.
I survived, however not sure I'd recommend it as a long-term solution.
:)

Haha. Better than my 4 days of no breakfast due to a miscalculation and a ghee/coconut oil leakage issue. I packaged them in urine specimen jars thinking they would stay contained and be added to my coffee for a breakfast calorie hit each day. It didn't pan out that way at all...

Back to breakfast ideas, I know The OP said no cereal, is that to be grain free? If so, I have an awesome 'porridge' recipe that is grain free. 1 x serving is as follows;

2 tbsp almond meal
2 tbsp linseed meal (or could use LSA)
2 tbsp sesame seed 'flour' - just put normal sesame seeds in the blender to make the flour
Add 2-3 tbsp of coconut milk powder, cook until thickened and you have yourself a nice brekky that will keep you full for ages.
If I am getting fancy I will add in a sprinle of cinnamon or some dehydrated berries or apple.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking