CF poles for a Duplex

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

CF poles for a Duplex

Postby GBW » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 9:03 pm

I'm looking at making some poles for a Duplex (to carry on my bike). I've seen the Zpacks poles which look a little flimsy at 11mm OD and was thinking more along the lines of 14mm OD with 12mm OD sleeves. By my calculations they would be ~110g each. Do you think that's overkill?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: CF poles for a Duplex

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 9:07 pm

Not at all, if you don't mind spending the money. What will you be using for the mandrel?
Be careful, when I made my big CF centre pole there was a slight bend in my aluminium tube and I didn't use enough release wax and I now have a CF and fibreglass stiffened aluminium pole
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks Moondog. I'm not making the poles from scratch simply buying the tube in 500mm lengths, cutting it and glue in the sleeves. I haven't seen or used CF before so am curious about its strength and what gauge to buy. It's the wrapped variety not extruded I'm looking at.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 6:21 am

It isn't cheap but make sure you get the Bi-Axial fibre wound stuff recommended by Roger Caffin
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 8:03 am

I'd get larger pole same inside as outside of smaller pole, and this may dictate available size. Then sand. If you can get them tight and cap the ends I find they hold together with vacuum.. for a while, which makes pitching easier.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 4:41 pm

I have the Zpacks poles for my Solplex - one is the same as used for the Duplex and the other a more slender but shorter pole. I carry the short one when walking as one of my walking poles functions as a handle for my tenkara fishing setup, but use both for cycle touring. I have found the 11mm pole adequate and the short folded length easy to stow in my panniers. Zpacks were selling a thinner one a couple of years ago which were a bit flimsy but the current ones seem fine.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby warnesy » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 7:14 am

I broke the first set of Zpacks poles just trial pitching my duplex. To say I was far from happy would be an understatement.

To their credit they sent me the new version that is slightly thicker straight away and I’ve had no problems. I’ve had them in a reasonable amount of wind but not a full on storm yet.

I used to steal my mates trekking poles in preference to using the carbon poles, but he went and got a new tent and put paid to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GBW » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks Mark good to see they improved the original design. Warnesy that must have been a horrible experience but good to see the guys at Zpacks looked after you. That's exactly the scenario I want to avoid so I've decided 14mm and 12mm at the expense of the extra weight. As far as length, 122cm required so 3 x 41cm per pole with 10cm protruding sleeves. Or I could make them 39cm per section and have an adjustment length ± 5cm if I can find a suitable quick release clamp for the bottom section. And some end caps. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. Thanks.
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear