Coast to Coast Walk Uk

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Coast to Coast Walk Uk

Postby rocketrm2 » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:13 am

Along with my 11 yo son, we walked the Coast To Coast Walk, "against the grain" so the English told us. That is east to west, from Yorkshire to the Lakes District. A varying walk not without a few challenges like White Outs on the mountainous ridges. Put your navigation skills to the test.
Need to sit and write a decent article.
All preferences are catered for on this walk. Wild camping to Pre Booked Hotels, Bed and Breakfasts, Baggage carrying services are very popular with walkers, Your bags are dropped off at your nights accommodation, then picked up next morning and then trucked to your accommodation for that day. It about $16 per day for this. Does allow to walk almost pack less for daily distances up to 3o km a day. (tho we did not use this service)
We camped in campgrounds, and Pub beer gardens some nights. Bed & Breakfasts in on other nights plus Hostels, the latter were excellent in every way.
This walk and others brings prosperity to the local business, which is pleasing.
Admire the English they are great walkers with it endless numbers of walking trails to enjoy.
Should you need any info feel free to contact me (tho I am not a world expert)
Maybe will try the shorter Cumbria Way next year.
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Coast to Coast Walk Uk

Postby GregR » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:58 pm

Very keen to hear your report! I am currently doing day walks in the Lakes area in between some family commitments and gastro!!

Been down to St Bees & walked around Ennerdale yesterday in the late afternoon, magic stuff!!
Love to know where you stayed on the last trail night?
Attachments
image.jpg
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ribuck » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 12:07 am

That's a great photo, GregR, but I must get myself a northern hemisphere monitor so that I can appreciate it better. I'm currently in Lancashire myself.

When we did the coast-to-coast we went west to east. We had young children with us, so we were doing short days and stayed at St Bees then Cleator and Ennerdale Bridge, then Black Sail YHA, and the rest of the trip.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Watertank » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 6:04 am

GregR, I walked the C2C for the second time a couple of months ago. In St Bees I stayed at Stonefarm which was very nice. I highly recommend The Royal Oak in Rosthwaite in the Lake District. I've stayed there 3 times - a perfect walkers hotel.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby weeds » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 10:04 am

What sort of time frame to complete the walk??
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby eggs » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 11:10 am

Looks like a Lake District photo. Click on it and it seems to display correctly!
I believe our friends took 14 days to complete the walk. Might have been a rest day in there as well.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby GregR » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 6:05 pm

eggs wrote:Looks like a Lake District photo. Click on it and it seems to display correctly!
I believe our friends took 14 days to complete the walk. Might have been a rest day in there as well.

Sorry I forgot to label the pic-taken at Ennerdale looking east as the sun set behind me.
:oops:
GregR

Postby ribuck » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 6:09 pm

weeds wrote:What sort of time frame to complete the walk??

We did it in 17 days with young children.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby digbyg » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 9:07 am

Alison and I also really enjoyed this walk over 18 days, with a break in Richmond for her sprained ankle to mend (done in the bathroom of a BB). She was taken with peoples bags with the Sherpa Van people, while I wandered lonely as a cloud.
digbyg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby GregR » Sat 05 Nov, 2016 12:30 pm

ribuck wrote:That's a great photo, GregR, but I must get myself a northern hemisphere monitor so that I can appreciate it better. I'm currently in Lancashire myself.

I'm back in Oz, and now I get the joke. I'll have to fix that on Monday. It came up perfect on my I-pad over there!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:
Attachments
Ennerdale.jpg
GregR

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes