AssesEars to Wallaby Rocks Track

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

AssesEars to Wallaby Rocks Track

Postby jimjim » Sun 01 May, 2016 3:52 pm

With the AssesEars appearing open on the PV information page I set out for an overnighter to explore the area.

Being under the impression that the AssesEars to Wallaby Rocks track was no longer maintained I thought I was just in for a pleasant off track ramble.
But I found that some one has put a huge amount of effort into cairn building so I got distracted by following them to see if the old trail was still there. It is.

Looking up at the Asses Ears.jpg
Looking up at the AssesEars. The steep gully on the mid left is the one.

Asses Ears map..jpg

Rocks in the gully.jpg
Great Rocks of all sorts

The initial gully rises steeply after the old 4x4 track ends and great views open up quickly.

Western Asses Ear.jpg
The Western of the two AssesEars

Boulder choke at the top of the gully.jpg
The path winds through a boulder choke at the top of the gully. Fantastic!!

Point 734 behind Ases Ears.jpg
The well cairned trail follows a gentle rocky ridge (with spectacular views of everything from Mt Zero, Mt Stapylton, the Mt Difficult Range, Mitchel Plateau and Serra Range) to a saddle below point 734, straight up, then sidles right through eucalypt regrowth.

Point 705 in foreground and Wallaby Rocks behind to the left..jpg
Point 705 in the foreground and the cliff line behind is Wallaby Rocks

Too many great rocks....jpg
Too many of these....

Looking across Moora Valley to Mt Lang sunlight in the distance and the Serra Range..jpg
Looking across the Moora Valley to Mt Lang ion the sunlight and Serra Range.

Pleasant camp spot in lull between points 734 and 705..jpg
Pleasant camp spot in lull between points 734 and 705..jpg (320.73 KiB) Viewed 36296 times
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: AssesEars to Wallaby Rocks Track

Postby jimjim » Sun 01 May, 2016 4:12 pm

Morning dawned grey and drizzly. Perfect weather for this magical forest, all dripping and trickly.

I followed the marked track to its end on the Wallaby Rocks track then continued off track in a round about way back to the car.

Gully below Wallaby Rocks..jpg
I descended this damp gully and sidled South below Wallaby Rocks after checking out point 510 which is the round shoulder just left of centre, to hook into the upper Boggy Creek (marked with the 400 contour on the map)

Terrace leading down into the upper reaches of Boggy Creek..jpg
Terrace leading down into Boggy Creek. (not at all boggy, more rocky, but very wet today...)

The upper gully of Boggy Creek..jpg
The last rocky bit of Boggy Creek. Just Great.

A wet road bash back to the car followed to end a great little walk in this neglected part of the Grampians. Whoever has done the cairn building should be congratulated for what must be hours of work, and hopefully a few more people will get out and enjoy this great part of the gramps.

The marked track would make a good day walk with a car shuffle, going North to South, or as a short overnighter with some of the best views in the Grampians. It is steep at times and quite rocky underfoot and the potential for exploring off track crags and gullies almost limitless.
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Snowzone » Sun 01 May, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks Jim Jim, I've been wanting to get over and spend a couple of days exploring. I think I'll now add the AssesEars to the list. Very inspiring and great photos.
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Eremophila » Sun 01 May, 2016 7:55 pm

Ditto, close to home so definitely on the "to-do" list.
Eremophila

Postby Snowzone » Thu 05 May, 2016 6:02 pm

Spent this morning exploring from the old 4 wheel drive track across to point 734. Had a great time. So much more potential for some fun explorations. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Snowzone

Postby jimjim » Thu 05 May, 2016 9:39 pm

Snowzone wrote:Spent this morning exploring from the old 4 wheel drive track across to point 734. Had a great time. So much more potential for some fun explorations. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

It's great to know someone was out there today while I was stuck in the office!

Did you manage to climb 734?? It is the obvious high point in the area and I was keen to sit on top, but I couldn't find a safe way to the top of the block. In fact it must be one of the most complicated blocky summits in the Gramps.

While it seems the marked track on the map is quite old, it appeared to me that lots of the stone cairns were only recently assembled judging by the dirt and lichen patterns. This is similar to a couple of other extensive cairning efforts I have happened across in the Southern Gramps recently. Someone has been busy....
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Snowzone » Fri 06 May, 2016 7:43 pm

jimjim wrote:
Snowzone wrote:Spent this morning exploring from the old 4 wheel drive track across to point 734. Had a great time. So much more potential for some fun explorations. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

It's great to know someone was out there today while I was stuck in the office!

Did you manage to climb 734?? It is the obvious high point in the area and I was keen to sit on top, but I couldn't find a safe way to the top of the block. In fact it must be one of the most complicated blocky summits in the Gramps.

While it seems the marked track on the map is quite old, it appeared to me that lots of the stone cairns were only recently assembled judging by the dirt and lichen patterns. This is similar to a couple of other extensive cairning efforts I have happened across in the Southern Gramps recently. Someone has been busy....

Yes I was lucky enough to coincide a couple of days off with not too bad of a forecast so wasn't going to let that slide although it did turn into a rather expensive trip. I also wanted to look at the Black Range escarpment but on the drive in hit a partially covered iron bar that did a bit of damage to my car as well as piercing the side wall of a brand new tyre, Not happy Jan, then on the way back out, same road hit a kangaroo who's day was argueably worse than mine.

Anyway I went as far as the base of the summit block of 734. The stones cairns are definitely recent, since the fires last year. I guess someone doesn't want these tracks that will no longer be maintained to disappear completely. I will definitely be making a return trip to explore a little further. :)
Snowzone

Postby AlanW » Sun 08 May, 2016 8:56 pm

What did you do for water on the night on top/second day? Did you carry or did you drop into one of the gullies?

Thanks
AlanW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jimjim » Mon 09 May, 2016 1:06 am

I carried 2 x 1.5 litre bottles and a 1 litre bottle from the car.

I drank maybe 500 mls from a few puddles and trickles on the way and finished with about 1 litre undrunk.

I had plenty of soup and hot choc and tea.

After the very long, very dry in West Vic there were plenty of puddles in rock basins after a small rain (maybe 5 mm??). As it is raining now I would probably only carry a 1.5 litre bottle if I was going up there tomorrow or next week.

Cheers, Jim
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Mon 09 May, 2016 8:00 pm

Anyone know how the name came.
walkerchris77

Postby Damdiv » Sun 29 May, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks for the trip report and the great photos. There is so much to explore in the Grampians.
Damdiv
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 7:44 pm

I went up the *&^%$#@! ears from Wallaby rocks 4 x 4 track and back as a half day hike on 20/10/19 . Someone has indeed marked the whole route very well indeed with a long series of cairns .This is like the Grampians were before the introduction of hand rails, metal stairs, innumerable warnings signs and the nanny state tourist brochure approach ruined what was once a true rocky wilderness. The track where it pops out or starts on Wallaby rocks 4 x 4 track is easy to miss but the track is there. It is just a bit overgrown but marked with two large cairns . PV seem to have given up on maintaining it but it is still there for sure. It was so good to walk up there where the swarming masses at Mackenzie falls and the Pinnacle do not go.
I would not take a 2 WD along Wallaby rocks 4WD track coming in from Rose Creek road (? name ??) esp. not with low clearance and street tyres. There were a couple of bits that were definitely not suitable for such vehicles and esp. for drivers who don't have any experience driving on such roads. As always I carry a chainsaw in the boot of my vehicle just in case one of those naughty trees drops a bough across the road. There was water trickling nearby , not far from where foot track meets the 4 WD track.
There is a suitable site for a tent along the foot track and there was a wet area which would dry up by the end of October. One could carry extra water up there and camp out for a night and escape the mechanized world for the weekend :-) .
http://www.fedwalks.org.au/files/2016_W ... s_Ears.pdf
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 14 Jun, 2021 9:43 pm

Bushwalk Vic have removed the Fed walks from their site, a great shame, and one wonders what good they are to anyone as they don't seem to be very active on behalf of walkers. The Federation walk pdfs were an excellent resource, vale.

There's more to this area than the ears and I enjoyed following a couple of tributaries of Boggy ck over the weekend.
Attachments
PSX_20210614_212625_copy_658x370.jpg
PSX_20210614_212625_copy_658x370.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 19917 times
PSX_20210614_212427_copy_518x370.jpg
PSX_20210614_212427_copy_518x370.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 19917 times
PSX_20210614_212211_copy_800x370.jpg
PSX_20210614_212211_copy_800x370.jpg (151.38 KiB) Viewed 19917 times
PSX_20210614_212728_copy_726x370.jpg
PSX_20210614_212728_copy_726x370.jpg (70.7 KiB) Viewed 19917 times
CraigVIC

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 9:20 am

Thanks CraigVIC, an area I'm keen to explore, so you've given a nice little bit of motivation. Did a drive recently in through there to Moora Res and had more than a passing interest.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 9:48 am

Hi. It is Good to see others exploring the ******* Ears area . I will go back, BYO water and camp out there in Spring I think.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 10:23 am

There was good water in the tributaries up to about 500m. It would definitely be ephemeral though. I used a Tyrone Thomas map that shows more tribs than appear on the NSW Topo map on Avenza that I mainly use in the Grampians.
CraigVIC

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 10:43 am

Thanks CraigVIC. Looks like a fun place to explore.
What are the Fed maps?
I use GetLost maps of the Grampians on Avenza and they seem pretty good, haven't come across NSW Topo.
I've never come across a book or map from Tyrone Thomas, are they out of print?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 11:55 am

I could be wrong but I think the Thomas guides to the Grampians are indeed long out of print. He must have sold a few because they can be found second hand easy enough.

Each year one affiliated club runs a weekend program of their best walks and anyone who is a member of any club can attend. BV used to have the pdfs of all the walks (called the federation walks) going back a few years on their website. Afaik they are now gone.
CraigVIC

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:16 pm

There's a bunch of PDF maps associated with this site: https://fedwalks.org.au/
It appears to be associated with Bushwalking Victoria.
EDIT: It appears the only maps downloadable are for this year's Fed walks in Gippsland.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:48 pm

Grampians ones featured *&^%$#@! ears, deep ck, the original rosea route, red cave, callectasia and more. Depends how you think I guess, maybe those walks should be hard to find.
CraigVIC

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes