Peak Range National Park

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Peak Range National Park

Postby wally55 » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 11:03 am

Does anyone have information on ascents in the Peak Range National Park, such as Wolfgang Peak or Lord's Table Mountain? (Access, difficulty, conditions, timing, etc)
Thanks
Wally55
wally55
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Peak Range National Park

Postby ofuros » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 3:36 pm

I've traveled past in a rental car on the dysart clermont rd, on my way back from the coal mines,
sussing the the situation out for a trip at a later date.(The next time I'm working in that area)
They're an awesome site rising up on the horizon, didn't have time to stop & climb,
but I'd love wake up to a sunrise, or watch the sun setting over that wide expanse of land from the top of that lump
of rock.
I regret not climbing it now, it was so close too.....oh well, next time I'm in the area. :roll:

Not a lot of access info on the net...just this little offering from the local council.
http://www.isaac.qld.gov.au/discovering-the-peaks

Pics aren't to flash(phone), but it'll give you some idea. :wink:

Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby calliejane24 » Fri 06 Sep, 2013 8:47 am

I've done ecological surveys in the area and had wondered about a possible route to the top, so I did some investigating and I found this video on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jWhI5vOac.
Hope this helps! :D
calliejane24
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Thu 12 Sep, 2013 6:35 pm

Good find calliejane24.....
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby joyburton » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 1:18 pm

I've climbed Mount Wolfang/Wolfgang and Mt Pollux a few times each. Also attempted Mt Castor once but didn't make it to the top as you need to do rockclimbing but the rock is not ideal (it breaks off!). All 3 are very close to the highway between Moranbah and Clermont, about 45min drive from Moranbah. Pollux and Castor are 'the Gemini Peaks' signposted on your right (travelling west) and Wolfang is the really pointy one just after that on your left, also signposted.

MT WOLFANG (I believe this is the proper name though a lot of people call it Wolfgang with a G): awesome climb, great views. Fairly challenging and very steep with a fair bit of climbing and scrambling. Can do it in under an hour return but allow more time for admiring the view and taking it easy. In the spot where the highway is closest to the hill there is a dirt road to pull in and park (look for some dumped whitegoods). Head towards the LEFT/EAST side of the hill, stick fairly close to the bottom and start going up between a maple-looking tree and a dead burnt tree. After that you should find the track which is marked with pink ribbon. There is one spot just after the cave near the top where it's easy to continue straight and miss the trail which goes up over rocks to the left. You can go this way too but it's harder, so keep an eye on the ribbons!!

MT POLLUX: Easier than Wolfang but still a good short climb with great views. There is a signpost on the highway that says Mt Pollux 4km, Mt Castor 5km. Go down this road and park as close as possible. When walking in you can head towards either the left or right 'hump' but there is a more defined track on the right side. There are no markers but it's relatively straightforward.

I haven't done Lord's Table yet but I will soon!
joyburton
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ofuros » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for all that extra info in your very first post !
Welcome to the forum joyburton & good luck with your upcoming walk on the Lords Table.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby luisleon » Mon 10 Aug, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi
My name is Luis Leon. I am a teacher in Mackay and I m a rockclimber. I would like to know if there are some people interestedin climbing Mt Wolfang/wolfang west mackay. My ph number is 0448453123
Thanks

Luis Leon
luisleon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: N/A

Postby sikamarie » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:59 am

Hi,
Just an update on this post :)
joyburton post above provides great directions - Thanks. The tracks are not very clear and there is limited information available about these walks / climbs. We have done Mt Wolfang and Mt Pollux a couple of times each. Both require treking through long grass to get to the base of the mountains. If anyone if heading out to Wolfang i would suggest taking a can of marking paint if you can to remark the track as alot of the marks are worn (and they are lot of help to get to the top!)

We are heading out to do Lords Table next weekend and Springsure in the following few weeks. If anyone has any tips or pointers to find the track and notes on the hike that would be great :)

Thanks,
Sika-Marie
sikamarie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby JosieAus » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 9:42 pm

Hello, I recently started working in Capella and I am really keen to go hiking and/or investigate rock climbing options anywhere within 2 hrs drive of Capella. There is so much rock out here, but I'm nervous to go alone due to the snake factor. If anyone is keen please send me a private message.
JosieAus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Pink Cap » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 10:19 am

I got the idea about going up Mt Wolfang from a brochure from Mackay Tourism which made the thing sound like anyone can do it, and I'm fairly experienced. I've recently had a less than ideal day there. I walked to the top easily enough but lost the trail on the way down. Unfortunately I fell and then had difficulties walking. I ended up on a ledge with no way off it in my injured condition. I had to be rescued by chopper and I sustained a fracture in my ankle. I wish the National Park sign where the trail starts had a warning on it and the tourist brochures too.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby ofuros » Sat 29 Aug, 2020 5:09 am

Glad you lived to tell the tale, Pink Cap...recover & heal.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pink Cap » Fri 04 Dec, 2020 9:47 am

Hi again, I’m back to give a link to my blog post about my mishap on Wolfang Peak:

https://pinkcapadventures.blogspot.com/ ... -peak.html

I have been able to make a return to hiking following lots of rehab.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby coimon » Fri 04 Dec, 2020 9:16 pm

This was interesting and informative, a real insight into the less than predictable event of a mishap while bushwalking - something we all think might happen, but can't really think through without vicarious insight. Thanks! Glad to hear you are on the mend.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland