Gwongoorool Pool & Noowongbill Lookout Trail Recce

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Gwongoorool Pool & Noowongbill Lookout Trail Recce

Postby Johnty » Thu 07 Aug, 2014 9:18 pm

I have lived on Beechmont mountain for 14 years but never seriously walked Lamington NP until recently.

I took a walk this week down to Gwongoorool Pool with a look to locate the trail up to Noowongbill lookout for a walk on a later date. Water levels in all creeks are very low at the moment which makes hopping across the creeks easy going. I crossed directly from the pool and climbed up a steep moss covered boulder and found a faint footpad up to what was a well defined trail (presumably that of the old trail network). I took a right here heading W, then after crossing a creek NW for about 15 minutes. Realising that this trail was not the one I was looking for as it needed to head up a ridge SW I turned back the way I came with a note to follow this trail another day.

Making my way back to where I climbed up the slope from the pool, I saw a ribbon tied to a tree that I missed earlier too my right. From here I headed up the ridge to the next marker which clearly put me on the right track to Noowongbill. Having figured out where I needed to go for my next walk I returned to the Coomera creek via the old trail which put me up about 200m from the pool. I rock hopped my way easily down the dry creek bed which made for some amazing photos in the afternoon light then joined the main trail back up to the car.

Walking time down to the Pool was 50 minutes taking some photos along the way. 1 hour exploring west of the creek and 45 minutes on the way back up all up for a 7.5km walk.
Johnty
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Gwongoorool Pool & Noowongbill Lookout Trail Recce

Postby Johnty » Fri 08 Aug, 2014 4:13 pm

Upstream of Gwongoorool Pool
Attachments
image.jpg
Johnty
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Johnty » Fri 08 Aug, 2014 4:18 pm

Safety sign
Attachments
image.jpg
Johnty
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dis » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 12:51 am

Noowongbill lookout is very nice (however the climb is steep and draining). If you go that far you might as well trek to fountain falls as its not too much further - down the next ridge. 16km return to fountain and the result is definitely worth the effort. Happy to trek along if you want someone to walk with.

Noowongbill Lookout
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Johnty » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks Dis I will take you up on the offer when I go to Fountain Falls but will wait until the first rains in early spring. The creeks are no more than a trickle at the moment.

I post back to this thread and give you as much notice as possible.
Johnty
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes