Mt Walsh National Park

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Walsh National Park

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 7:12 pm

Mt Walsh National Park, located west of Maryborough near Bigenden in QLD.

Overnight hike to the top of Mt Walsh, hammock camping near the top overlooking the surrounding country side. My first video during a hike, unfortunately I ran out of memory space on my digital camera. I got to just below a rocky outcrop, was to dangerous to continue to the top on my own. Took my time.

Here's a sneak preview of video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OiAthHgZ8w

Full video report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE70f0H88gE
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Mon 03 Oct, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Walsh National Park

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 7:33 pm

Full video report is currently being uploaded to Youtube. It was going to be a review on my Hammock gear, but I couldn't get to far into the review as my digital camera quickly ran out of storage. It's the first time I've attempted to film a hike, didn't realise how much space these videos take on your camera. Will be better prepared next time.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Major Icehole » Tue 04 Oct, 2011 9:44 pm

Great work for your first video mate. You're well on your way to being the next Shug Emery!

I've been coveting a WBB for quite a while. The ability to hang on the side of a hill like that looks pretty great. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Major Icehole
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 07 May, 2012 7:11 pm

Decided to take my new Camera with me to Mt Walsh over the last few days, 3 days of mountain climbing.
Had a great time, bodies a bit battered and sore now. Ouch. But it was worth it. The challenge climbing up the rocks was a lot of fun and very fulfilling when I reached the top.

Climbed two of the highest peaks in Mt Walsh.
Attachments
GOPR0618.jpg
GOPR0620.jpg
GOPR0625.jpg
GOPR0646.jpg
GOPR0648.jpg
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Tue 08 May, 2012 1:24 pm

Awesome views, philipsart.
I'm thinking that shady cave/overhang came in handy,
giving you well earned a cool break from the heat of the day.
Looks like you some great weather too....clear blue skies as far as the eye can see.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Mt Walsh National Park

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 08 May, 2012 2:53 pm

ofuros wrote:Awesome views, philipsart.
I'm thinking that shady cave/overhang came in handy,
giving you well earned a cool break from the heat of the day.
Looks like you some great weather too....clear blue skies as far as the eye can see.

thanks ofuros, Yes it was a very clear day, could not have asked for better weather, the day before I was camping at the base of the mountain and there was lightning on the top of the mountain, day temp was 26, night got down to 3 degrees celcius.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby shardie » Tue 08 May, 2012 8:12 pm

good shots & dramatic video :)
What sort of climbing/scrambling skills was required to get to the peaks?
shardie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 08 May, 2012 9:39 pm

shardie wrote:good shots & dramatic video :)
What sort of climbing/scrambling skills was required to get to the peaks?

I've been told for experienced hikers only, and only attempt in dry weather as the rocks can be very slippery when wet. The climb in places is a bit tricky, we used a rope in one section as the rocks are worn away. Can be done without a rope, just a bit more difficult, that section is apx 10 metres long. I think if you've climbed Mt Barney or any climbs similar you should not have any problems. I've never climbed Mt Barney so I can't compare, but from what i've heard it's a tough climb up Mt Barney.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 10 May, 2012 9:48 pm

Two days climbing Mt Walsh last weekend, helping to lead a group of hikers.

A short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAQH3109ork
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mylesau » Fri 11 May, 2012 12:01 am

Great video Phillip. I'm hoping to spend 4 days in the park over the Bundy show weekend.

I'll be heading up the creek behind Mt Walsh and then walking up the back side to the top and then down the main track. Do you know if there are any issues with this at the moment. I walked up the creek (I think it's Stony creek, but seems to be unmarked on the latest Topo25) many (20+) years ago.

Any tips that might be useful would be appreciated. No doubt it will be getting a bit cold by then :)

Thanks,
Myles.
mylesau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 11 May, 2012 11:10 am

mylesau wrote:Great video Phillip. I'm hoping to spend 4 days in the park over the Bundy show weekend.

I'll be heading up the creek behind Mt Walsh and then walking up the back side to the top and then down the main track. Do you know if there are any issues with this at the moment. I walked up the creek (I think it's Stony creek, but seems to be unmarked on the latest Topo25) many (20+) years ago.

Any tips that might be useful would be appreciated. No doubt it will be getting a bit cold by then :)

Thanks,
Myles.

Hi Myles, Day time temps should be very pleasant, but certainly at night and early morning will be cold.

I've never hiked Stony Creek thus far, Had it planned about a month ago, but it started raining, had to turn back. Rocks are very slippery when wet. Best to avoid the area if there's rain about. Standing on top of Mt Walsh last Monday, myself and a couple other hikers where eyeing of that creek for a future trip.
Not sure where you would climb up the mountain on the backside, Keep an eye on the weather. You don't want to climb that mountain if it's wet. PM me if you need a guide. I'm not referring to myself, I know a very good guide that knows that area better than anyone I know. She's explored the mountain her whole life.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mylesau » Fri 11 May, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks for the info Phillip.

I'm guessing that guide would be Harry Frauca's daughter?

Last time I was there, about 2 years ago, I didn't get to the top due to it being to wet - sure is 'slippery when wet'. Some details and photo's of that trip might be useful for others who seek out this thread - Mount Walsh National Park - Feb 2010 - also includes some pics of the rock pools.

I received approval from the substitute ranger today - pretty short distances and a day to just look around, but then, when there's no tracks, it can be a hard slog:

MW2012.jpg
Proposed route - Mount Walsh National Park - May/June 2012
MW2012.jpg (193.26 KiB) Viewed 22019 times

If it rains I'll likely just back out the way I came in or up and over the shoulder.

I'll attempt to put together a trip report with plenty of pics.
mylesau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 11 May, 2012 4:07 pm

mylesau wrote:Thanks for the info Phillip.

I'm guessing that guide would be Harry Frauca's daughter?

Last time I was there, about 2 years ago, I didn't get to the top due to it being to wet - sure is 'slippery when wet'. Some details and photo's of that trip might be useful for others who seek out this thread - Mount Walsh National Park - Feb 2010 - also includes some pics of the rock pools.

I received approval from the substitute ranger today - pretty short distances and a day to just look around, but then, when there's no tracks, it can be a hard slog:

MW2012.jpg

If it rains I'll likely just back out the way I came in or up and over the shoulder.

I'll attempt to put together a trip report with plenty of pics.

Yes the guide is Harry's daughter.

Looks like a great circuit. I see you use a Hammock. Same here, I also use a Warbonnet Hammock.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mylesau » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 10:07 pm

Stony Creek, Mount Walsh National Park: 31-06-2012 - 01-07-2012

The weather didn't play nice so I was only able to walk in, camp overnight and then walk out the next day. I'm glad I made this choice as there were some flash floods on Saturday night and you would not want to be caught in Stony creek when the water came up.

This is a tough area to walk in as the grades are very steep and there are no tracks. The picture below gives a bit of an idea of the grade. My GPS was happy to record 150 - 200% grades in places! I have two black toenails to prove it!

Grade.jpg
Steep Grades

I managed to skirt some contours that ventured just outside of the National Park on the way in, but felt guilty with the number of 'Keep Out' signs that on the return trip I took the high road, which saw much higher grades on the way down.

I lucked in when I got to stony creek as I found a relatively easy path down - you need to be careful here as quite a bit of the creek has cliffs with 6-10 meter drops. If you follow the actual National Park boundary you should be okay - I cut the corner a bit. The spot I came out onto the creek was the place I ended up camping. A beautiful creek setting with that magic 'trickling' sound of water.

StonyCreekCamp.jpg
Stony Creek Camp Area

I took a short walk back down the creek and did find one flat spot that a tent would have been okay on, but as can be seen below, the advantages offered by a hammock are put to good use here. Actually from this point on I didn't see any place that I would be happy to put a tent.

RockinHammock.jpg
Rockin' Hammock

NoRoomForATent.jpg
No Room For A Tent

Before I camped for the night I managed to get about half way up Stony creek to where I had hoped to get before turning back - I just wasn't confident enough to continue on with a bit of rain around, which makes the rocks super slick, and the weather looking like much more rain to come on the following days.

Came across a 'forest' of butterflies - as I walked through this area I disturbed them and they swarmed around, it was a very unique experience. Very hard to capture them in flight so I settled on showing them once they had settled. There were hundreds of them.

Butterflies.jpg
Butterfly Forest
Last edited by mylesau on Mon 04 Jun, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mylesau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mylesau » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 10:20 pm

Continued:

One advantage of there being a little bit of rain around - a waterfall, only small, but I suspect with good rain this 'little' creek would not be a place you would want to be caught out.

Waterfall.jpg
Waterfall

A little bit further up from the 'waterfall' is a 'swimming pool' - in summer this would be a great spot for a dip.

SwimmingPool.jpg
Swimming Pool

From this point on, the way forward was a mix of climbing out of the creek due to huge rocks blocking the path and fighting through thick scrub and then descending back to the creek for the easier path for a bit and then back up and out - repeat.

The view up the creek and towards the back of Mount Walsh below, highlights the nature of the terrain.

BackOfMtWalsh.jpg
Back Of Mount Walsh and the view up Stony Creek

This was a tough walk for me. I'm pretty fit from cycling, but I haven't been bush walking for a while. The grades knocked me about a bit but I hope to spend some more time in the park in future because it is a beautifully unspoilt area - the ruggedness ensures it will stay that way.

mylesau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 11:20 am

Hi mylesau.

Thanks for the report. Loved the photos. Looks like a big bath tub with the tap running in the video. it certainly sound like it :D

You didn't make it to the really steep parts?, just as well, with all the rain it would have gotten very dangerous. Even in the dry it's a dangerous place, You really have to know what your doing. Bush bashing through that terrain is certainly fun. I love the fact there's no hardly any tracks there.

You lucked out with the weather, It's beautiful weather up here at the moment. I would not like to take a tent with me in that area. I think you will really struggle to find a place to setup camp in the tent. You could camp on top of Mt Walsh, It's probably the flattest area in the park. :lol: I wish you luck getting a tent up there. :) Sorry ground dwellers, but this area is made for Hammocks.

The last time I climbed Mt Walsh, a few weeks back, We had to use ropes to get up that section mentioned earlier in one of the posts. It was well worn and very slippery.

You should post this trip report on hammockforums.com
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 5:35 pm

Another hammocker pops out of the woodwork !
And by the looks of that terrain it came in real handy. :wink:
Love the swarming butterflies you stumbled upon, those little gifts from nature
make our adventures a bit more special.
I'd have taken a dip in those crystal clear pools if we weren't in the grips of winter....

Look after those little blackened pinkies....mylesau :mrgreen:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes