Mt Barney (South-East Ridge)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Barney (South-East Ridge)

Postby farkewie » Mon 07 May, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Guys,

Had great weather in Brisbane this weekend, decided to get the girl out for our first overnight hike. We ended up deciding to do SE ridge on MT Barney. We were hoping to have enough water to camp on the summit but I forgot to fill up my extra bladder, in the end we went down and camped at Rum Jungle. Was a spectacular night, the temp was great (was about 5c at 6pm.), though I was a little cold. Mainly because I was cocky and only took my summer sleeping bag and no warm jacket. I think the lowest it got to was 3c in the tent at about 4am.

I was pretty happy the girl loved it. I knew the choice of walks was a pretty big leap into hiking, but, I was pretty confident she could do it and enjoy it. I let her set the pace, it was perfect stopped me from destroying myself walking to fast. Now she wants "More Scrambly Exposed Stuff" :-)

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg (124.04 KiB) Viewed 24293 times

%255BUNSET%255D-1.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D-1.jpg (127.74 KiB) Viewed 24293 times

%255BUNSET%255D-2.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D-2.jpg (114.53 KiB) Viewed 24293 times

%255BUNSET%255D-3.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D-3.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 24293 times

%255BUNSET%255D-4.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D-4.jpg (66.08 KiB) Viewed 24293 times
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Barney (South-East Ridge)

Postby farkewie » Mon 07 May, 2012 11:29 am

%255BUNSET%255D-7.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D-7.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 24292 times

%255BUNSET%255D-8.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D-8.jpg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 24292 times

%255BUNSET%255D-9.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D-9.jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 24292 times

%255BUNSET%255D-10.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D-10.jpg (25.28 KiB) Viewed 24292 times
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 07 May, 2012 1:00 pm

Nice one, what a perfect weekend to get out on a first overnighter.

The air has been so sensationally clear and fresh, I bet it was ace up on Barney. I've never been but plan to get up there sometime this year, your post adds kindling to that fire. Whats the water situation when your up there in regard to creeks or springs, Probably no worries at the moment? Where would the last spot to top up be on the way up?
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Pteropus » Mon 07 May, 2012 1:47 pm

Nice one. The weather was nice indeed. About time too! I especially like the last panorama pic. Competition worthy me thinks!
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby farkewie » Mon 07 May, 2012 4:34 pm

@phan_TOM; It is definitly worth every bit of work to get up there. The water is at Rum Jungle, I have never seen it come close to dry...

@Pteropus; Thanks I rally like that photo too, never entered a comp.. may look at the how to :-)
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Mon 07 May, 2012 5:38 pm

There had to be a reward for all that scrambling.....awesome views. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby shardie » Tue 08 May, 2012 8:23 pm

great shots!! Although a lot shorter of walks, however Mt May, Mt Maroon & Monserrat all offer some good exercise & great views. The Steamers & Razorback Mountain offer the views & scambling.... however these are off track & you'd need good track notes/maps or GPS files.
shardie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nq111 » Wed 09 May, 2012 6:50 pm

Great work - I never get tired of that mountain. And good idea for the GF - i tried the same strategy on Maroon once.

Rum Jungle can dry out of water - but should be good for a while with the recent seasons.
nq111

Postby awildland » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 4:04 pm

Great pics but they make me jealous. We had planned to climb Mt Barney - actually just three days after you guys did it - as part of a last minute, unplanned holiday from work in May. We arrived to find the track closed because they were fire bombing the park!!!! :( They'd closed the track just the day before! Ah well, next time. We managed to get in Mt Maroon and The Steamers, both very worthy holiday runners-up.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby antsrealm » Sun 20 Oct, 2013 10:03 am

Nice One!

How do you rate the SE ridge in terms of risk? I have done south and logans before but some people in our group were sh#t scared on Logans and before we take SE ridge I need to be sure what it's like at it's worst. Is there any points were a miss step could result in falling to your death?

We will be carrying over night packs as well.

I heard there's a 300m drop over the East face that's dodgy. Anyone have any pics of that section ?

Thanks,
Tony.
antsrealm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cams » Sun 20 Oct, 2013 12:35 pm

I haven't been on Logans, but from all I've read South-East isn't as exposed as it. You do get quite close to the East face, but not to the point of if you slip you'll fall off. You can stay further away from it if you want to. There is one section with an awkward little scramble, but if you have a short rope and one person is comfortable to go up first you can make it a bit easier for the others.

The notes I read did mention one section near the top where you get quite close to the top of the East face and you don't really realise it but I never saw anywhere that looked too bad (maybe that's the point of the warning though). I've got a post on my blog of our trip up S-E Ridge. You can see the awkward scramble bit I mentioned in one photo.

http://hikinginseqld.blogspot.com.au/20 ... ridge.html
cams

Region: Tasmania

Postby antsrealm » Sun 20 Oct, 2013 3:16 pm

Ok thanks guys looks like it should be ok. Just one of the girls isn't good with heights so any tricky bits that need rope should be fine, it's only a psychological thing when it feels like you could fall off a cliff.
antsrealm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes