Neglected Mountain

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Neglected Mountain

Postby Ticklebelly » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 6:07 pm

Day walk up that way today with a couple of other keen people. Camped the night at Stinson Park, then across the road and up Gap Creek road to park just before the gate. Under 4k to the top (of NM) but the first bit follows the Stretcher Track and is pretty steep and took some time. We went pretty well straight up the ridgeline from the valley and left the Stretcher Track where it veers off to the east. Straight up then and at the first saddle, right turn and follow the ridge. A couple of nasty bits as you do have to climb over rocks but apart from being *&%$#! steep in places, the way is obvious. There are a couple of hairy bits where the ridgetop is pretty narrow and there are big drops on either side. There is one false summit on the way but onward and upward is the go. Excellent views to Mt Lindsay and Maroon one side, good views of Green Mountains and up the Christmas Creek valley, to the other. Just on 8k round trip and just a nice workout. Footing was mostly quite good as all the rocks were dry and good grass cover held the slopes well. One interesting thing; we continued the ridgeline east past where we first came up and found the Stretcher Track to follow down. Some serious washaways on the track and not that easy to find but we intend to do a loop from Stinson Park up the Stretcher Track to the crash site then down to Christmas Creek to come out. Should be a good walk and we used the opportunity to check out that part of the start.

Ticklebelly
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Neglected Mountain

Postby ofuros » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks for the report Ticklebelly....
Neglected Mt has been on my to-do list for a while now, thanks for reminding to get off my #@%& and
go check it out. Cheers.
Any pics ?
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ticklebelly » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:24 pm

ofuros wrote:Any pics ?

I did try out the new video but have not downloaded anything yet. I specifically took the video in frustration at being unable to capture the vista from such places using a still camera. I'll upload something to YouFaceTubeBookPage when I get the chance.

It is seriously worth the effort, especially if you get a good day.

Ticklebelly
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ofuros » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks ticklebelly.
I'll find some time for this walk...maybe as a overnighter. ;-)

don't worry about the leeches, just think of them as baby love bites...sent via tapatalk
Last edited by ofuros on Sun 01 Apr, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drifting » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 11:02 pm

Photos or it didn't happen! :D
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius