No-cook pasta

Food topics, including recipes.

No-cook pasta

Postby JohnM » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 9:10 pm

Ok, Kraft EasyMac comes with the most vile chemical-laced sauce known to humankind. BUT the dried pasta itself, which is separate, appears to have been pre-cooked. So it can be reconstituted with a 10min soak in hot water.

This makes it ideal for easily plumping up a pasta-based freeze-dried meal, as you can just throw the extra pasta in and let it all absorb as usual.

I find most freeze-drieds to be over-sauced anyway, so it works for me. But if you value your body, whatever you do, DON'T EAT THE SAUCE.
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: No-cook pasta

Postby John Sheridan » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 9:25 pm

I like the continental Pastas, Alfredo and macaroni and cheese are the ones I like, they aint instant, but I bet you could have a meal in 20 minutes using a pot cosy and some stirring :)

Tastes 32777733771% than that CRAp easy mac *&%$#!.

Corvus needs to make some and see with COSY.

cHEERS.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby JohnM » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 11:32 am

Hence my recommendation NOT to eat the sauce, but just use the pasta. Again, this is useful only if you want to add extra pasta to a no-cook freeze dry... the kraft macaroni will rehydrate at about the same rate as your free-dry pasta.

But if I want to cook in the bush, I wouldn't be using packet foods at all. They're all just varying degrees of crappiness.
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby anne3 » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 11:54 am

I have cooked pasta at home then dehydrated it. It doesn't take as much cooking out on the track, and you don't need to bring it up to the boil.
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:41 pm

The only "no cook" pasta I have used is San Remo Angel Hair ,boil water drop pasta in cover and leave for 2/3 mins and it is ready to eat or add to or with your sauce of choice :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Bushman Ben » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 4:16 pm

Heinz do a in-foil pasta that kicks bum for this. You can eat it cold (like it was baked beans) or heat it up if you prefer. I can't find the product online though, which is puzzling. I know that Uncle Ben's do a similar product also, which comes in the same kind of Aluminum foil "pouch". I would have a look near the Ainsley Cous-cous and risotto packets, its usually right near those.
I am doing my best to create a blogsite dedicated to hiking in Aus, if you want to help let me know
http://hike-australia.com
Bushman Ben
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 5:15 pm

Looked at those in my local Woolies but thought they may have been a tad heavy for anything other than an overnighter and I will need to taste try one at home soon( for evaluation :lol: ) as I have not eaten cold baked beans for around 50+ years when it was too wet to light a fire and we did not own the luxury of fuel stoves :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 27 Oct, 2011 8:34 am

Of course for a shorter walk, the best pasta is fresh pasta. Requires only a minute or two in the water, and is actual real pasta, unlike the dry pasta most people usually eat.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Bushman Ben » Wed 02 Nov, 2011 8:26 am

Personally, I prefer to just carry snapped in half Angel Hair pasta, it fits in your run on the mill sandwich bag, and cooks *quickly*
I am doing my best to create a blogsite dedicated to hiking in Aus, if you want to help let me know
http://hike-australia.com
Bushman Ben
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby John Sheridan » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah you better use fresh pasta or this might happen to you you BAD BAD Chef :o

http://www.youtube.com/user/extraashens ... EL89oQpIKs

The Horror :(

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby danpickard » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 7:41 pm

I have used the Heinz foil pack variety a few times now. There are about 3 different flavours, and they're not a bad size fairly hearty feeling meal. Yes, they are a bit heavy to carry, but the trade of is that they are ready to go, no added water needed (just pour out into the pot and heat, or can easily be eaten cold if desparate like Ben mentioned). If you want to add in the water you may carry for cooking other meals, the whole weight thing would come close to balancing out, and whats more, there is basically no preparation (just light the stove). They also taste not bad either (better than dehydrated powdery pasta sauce substitutes, which can sometimes taste like...well, powder).

Cheers,
Dan
danpickard
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby segiy » Thu 22 Dec, 2011 8:43 pm

I tried these easy mac's, I thought the bacon cabonnara one was alright, better if sauce a bit thicker
segiy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby John Sheridan » Fri 23 Dec, 2011 6:26 am

I tried that pasta on a stainless steel mess kit tin and it all stuck to the bottom, should work better with my new optimus non stick pot, also not so great with a high heat coke can alcohol stove, got to try it with simmer on my Cruz light gas stove.

I guess it would taste nice if it didn't taste burnt, it was a little dry though, probably my fault :)

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnM » Tue 27 Dec, 2011 8:09 pm

Don't cook it, just heat it in water. Good for freezer bag cooking if you want Mac chees.
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 27 Dec, 2011 8:46 pm

With regular dried pasta (wholemeal spirals - 8 minute cooking time), I add it to the cold water and bring it to a boil. It only takes a couple of minutes to cook through once the water has boiled.

Always check the cooking time on dried pasta. It ranges from around around 8 minutes to 15 minutes. The 15 minute cooking time version never seems to soften.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Bush Tucker