Burrum Coast National Park- Overnight hike (heavy images)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Burrum Coast National Park- Overnight hike (heavy images)

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:06 pm

Covering 23,100 hectares, Burrum Coast National Park on the central Queensland Coast near Woodgate.

Diverse plant and animal communities including the Kangaroo, with mangrove-lined riverbanks, wallum heath with spectacular wildflowers (unfortunately the wildflowers was not in season) and tea tree-dominated swamps where Livistona palms reach above the canopy. Areas of deeper soil support eucalypt forests, including the vulnerable Goodwood gum.

I started my walk at Walkers Point picnic area on the banks of the Burrum River, The hiking trail i'm taking is called Melaleuca track it's a 12.3 Km circuit. Half way into this trail is a National Park camp ground near the shores overlooking Fraser Island my destination for the night..

I took a 800 metre side track 3.3 Km into the hike to look at a bird hide overlooking a lake. Early morning/late afternoon is the best time to view birds from the bird hide, it was approaching mid day there was not a lot of wildlife to view, as It was a very warm day.

Arrived at Camp just after mid day, set up my Blackbird and Superfly, than strolled down to the beach, looked for a shady tree and had lunch overlooking the waters to Fraser Island. Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world, has lot's of great hiking trails. The unique thing about Fraser Island is the Rainforest, I believe it's the only place in the world where rainforest can grow and survive in sand.

Later in the day I went for a easy 3Km stroll along the beach, arrived back at camp just before the sun set. Cooked up one of my dehydrated meals I prepared a few weeks back. Than laid in my Blackbird hammock reading Hammock Camping by Ed Speer. Had one of the best sleeps in my Warbonnet Blackbird. Woke up once during the night, as I had a visitor to my camp site, A Kangaroo decided to check out my camp.

Woke up just as the sun was rising, I'm happy and relieved the Warbonnet Blackbird has a netting over it. the mossies had to be seen to believe just how many there where swarming around me trying to bite me. Snug and cossie in my brand new 3-season Hammock Gear Burrow Top quilt and Warbonnet 3-season Yeti under quilt, not one mossie was able to bite me. Soon after the breeze picked up and off the mossies went.

Packed up and returned back to vehicle, via another track passing the birdhide.
Returned back home just after lunch, cleaned up my gear, and here I am writing up a trip report. Took lot's of photos. Hope you enjoy.

I will return when the wildflowers are in bloom, which should be in another 3 to 4 weeks time.
Attachments
IMG_4996.jpg
IMG_4999.jpg
IMG_5002.jpg
IMG_5004.jpg
IMG_5009.jpg
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Re: Burrum Coast National Park- Overnight hike

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:09 pm

More images from Overnight hike
Attachments
IMG_5010.jpg
IMG_5013.jpg
IMG_5014.jpg
IMG_5016.jpg
IMG_5017.jpg
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:10 pm

More images
Attachments
IMG_5020.jpg
IMG_5021.jpg
IMG_5026.jpg
IMG_5030.jpg
IMG_5037.jpg
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:13 pm

And more images.
Attachments
IMG_5039.jpg
IMG_5046.jpg
IMG_5111.jpg
IMG_5114.jpg
IMG_5115.jpg
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:15 pm

A few more images.
Attachments
IMG_5137.jpg
IMG_5135.jpg
IMG_5134.jpg
IMG_5132.jpg