Ancient History

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Ancient History

Postby Pedro » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 1:36 pm

I was looking through some old pictures in search of something completely different and found the following pictures. I thought that they might be worth a laugh, if nothing else. After some inspirational walks organised by Mr Nash (& maybe Miss Hill) at Devonport High School, four of us decided to head in the Arm River to the Pelion Plains. It was winter in 1967 and we didn't have a clue what we were doing. We thought we were going to the New Pelion Hut, but it didn't exist. We finally found the Old Pelion Hut on the second day after the snow started. After that, it was fun. At least one of these faded figures is probably Bob McMahon, another would be my cousin, Michael McHugh - can't remember the fourth person.

Old Pelion Hut - 1967

At Old Pelion Hut - 1967

New Pelion Hut - 1967.
Much nicer than the current abomination. Parks had taste and some sensitivity to the location back then.

On the Arm River Track, with all the latest gear

Pelion Plains - 1967

So - has anyone else got old memories to share.
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Ancient History

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 6:51 pm

that's really awesome- I'm currently teaching at Devonport High School, and happy to report that they are still pumping out keen bushwalkers!
the_camera_poser

Postby Steve » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:56 pm

Nice old shots. :)
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 9:57 am

Wow!
My old memories are new to you...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby frank_in_oz » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:46 am

Great pictures Pedro. Is one of the guys wearing a Top Hat?
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ciaran » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 6:10 pm

Wow !!! top hats and "great coats" I can remember wearing one of those coats in my army cadet days. Never got any further than a km or so before the wieght of it crushed me!
Thank god for lightwieght equipment.
.... and those "H" style frame packs!!! My first pack was the old "A" frame style handed down from my dad.

Great pics!!!
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pedro » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 7:49 pm

Not sure about the top hat - might have been. I do remember that I had leather gaiters (probably ex army and they may have been my grandfathers from WW1) and a plastic raincoat which didn't really do the distance.

Probably went close to hypothermia after falling in the Douglas.

And one of the guys, wearing ex army woolen pants with a button up fly, had a close and personal encounter with a leech.

All in all in was a great trip, and having lived through it, I've never stopped walking and the Pelion Plains remain one of my all time favourite places.
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Gallery