Kanangra Boyd National Park

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Kanangra Boyd National Park

Postby sanbot » Fri 27 Dec, 2013 8:31 pm

Went on a day trip with the family to Kanangra Boyd National Park over the Christmas holidays. Proud of my mum who managed to finish some reasonably tough walks with us! Here are some random shots.

kanangra walls.jpg
Sitting on top of Kanangra walls.

thurat spires.jpg
Does anyone else think that it looks like the landscape at Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado but with more trees?

scramble up falls.jpg
Trying to keep up with my super fit sister on a quick scramble up some waterfalls.

plateau walk past dance floor cave.jpg
Going past the dance floor cave is a nice distraction from the main plateau walk. Didn't have the time to see how far it went though. Anyone traversed this section before?

cute lil guy.jpg
Found this cute lil guy whilst scrambling up the waterfall.
sanbot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kanangra Boyd National Park

Postby Greg Buckman » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 10:04 am

Two days walk south of Kanangra is an amazing range called the Blue Breaks that involves skyline traverses over rugged standstone ridges with amazing views over the Kanangra-Boyd wilderness area. Very much for the hardy and experienced walker. Here are some shots from a solo walk I did over them (Vengeance Peninsula and Axehead Mountain) last September.

Greg Buckman
Attachments
Sunset over Blue Breaks - web.jpg
The Blue Breaks are remote and difficult but have unsurpassed views - sunrise over eastern Blue Breaks.
Sunrise near Vengeance - web.jpg
Blue Breaks walking involves a fair bit of scrub bashing and lots of rock/cliff scrambling - sunrise over Vengeance Peninsula.
Last major Axehead peak - web.jpg
Axehead Mountain (actually a series of small mountains) has more cliffs than Vengeance Peninsula, and is generally harder to negotiate but, again, has amazing views.
Greg Buckman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby taswegian » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 11:20 am

amazing country.
Makes one realise just what a barrier it was for early explorers and appreciate their efforts to forge through without all our modern conveniences.

Does anyone else think that it looks like the landscape at Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado but with more trees?

My first thought on seeing that was Waimea Canyon, Kauai, yes without the gums.

Thanks both for posting
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Greg Buckman » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 3:19 pm

Indeed, hard country to explore. The first known European in the area was french-born Francis Barrallier who, in 1802, attempted a crossing of the Blue Mtns but only got as far as the head of Christys Creek, just south of Kanangra Walls. A further bit of interesting history of the area was the establishment of the mining town of Yerranderie south of Kanangra, these days accessible by a rough road (from Taralga-Oberon Rd). It was set up in 1890s and survived until the flooding of Burragorang Valley for Warragamba Dam in the late 1950s. A woman called Val Lhuede saved much of the town (though she developed some of it, too) and its been under National Parks and Wildlife Service management since 2011. Pix follow.

Greg Buckman
Attachments
Post Office and Bartlett Head - web.jpg
Yerranderie post office (accommodation available there through NPWS - www.yerranderie.com) and Bartlett Head behind.
Yerranderie main street - web.jpg
Yerranderie main street (bank now a museum).
Post Office - 1978.jpg
Yerranderie has been frequented by bushwalkers since the 1960s and car-based visitors since about the 1990s. This is the Yerranderie Post Office in 1978.
Greg Buckman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Onestepmore » Sat 08 Feb, 2014 4:23 pm

There's a particularly good walk from Hill Top to Yerranderie. Hubby, myself and our two children walked down into the valley on the first afternoon, and camped on the Nattai at Middle Flat. Myself and the kids walked back out the same way (animals etc to feed at home) while hubby continued on that morning, over Beloon Pass, and further through the restricted access walking corridor (water catchment area) to cross over the Wollondilly R. He passed through this zone and camped overnight on the Centre Management Fire Trail. Next morning he walked on to Yerranderie. Myself and the kids had travelled south through Goulburn and Taralga and met him happily drinking a cold beer and drying his tent on the verandah if the PO you pictured above. We stayed in one of the rooms, and did some exploring and walking the next day.
His next plan is to walk from Yerranderie to Kanangra. It's a great area, pretty empty.
Nice pics
Last edited by Onestepmore on Sun 09 Feb, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Sun 09 Feb, 2014 9:46 am

sanbot wrote:Went on a day trip with the family to Kanangra Boyd National Park over the Christmas holidays. Proud of my mum who managed to finish some reasonably tough walks with us! Here are some random shots.

photos...

Great shots. That first one is a stunner.
cams

Region: Tasmania

Postby diantsvetkov » Sun 09 Feb, 2014 10:52 am

The first picture is definitely spectacular. I also love the old picture and the comparison to the new one. It just brings out this strange feeling out.
My passion for hiking and exploring the outdoors keeps me alive. And I never go anywhere without a good pair of hiking boots.
diantsvetkov
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby craig01 » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:34 am

Hello all, I am thinking of walking Thelmere lakes to yerranderie. Could anyone tell me if it is possible to do without going into the restricted zones, and how long it would take.. Thanks..
craig01
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kanangra » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 6:22 pm

Yes it is possible if you follow the bushwalkers corridor and go up and over Belloon Pass. You could do it in one long day but would probably be better to take two.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby craig01 » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks for the reply, 2 days sounds good. Cheers.
craig01
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 11:59 am

craig01 wrote:Hello all, I am thinking of walking Thelmere lakes to yerranderie. Could anyone tell me if it is possible to do without going into the restricted zones, and how long it would take.. Thanks..

Note that you would have to cross the Wild Dog Plateau, not go around the easier way - via Little River and then up the Nattai River to the base of Beloon Pass (which involves walking in the restricted zone).

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby craig01 » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks, need to get a couple of topo's and have a good look.. Cheers.
craig01
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Gallery