16 days from Perth to Karratha : Coral Coast and Pilbara

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Re: 16 days from Perth to Karratha : Coral Coast and Pilbara

Postby iandsmith » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 2:33 am

That gave me a pleasant interlude. Brought back many pleasant (and one unpleasant memory). Totally disagree with you about Karijini, it's definitely the best park in Australia for me even though I had a double flat and shredded tyres on my dual wheel motorhome coming out of Knox.
I also think the Pinnacles are a little overrated, I enjoyed Quobba Station a lot more.
Once again, thanks for sharing and well done with the pics.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: 16 days from Perth to Karratha : Coral Coast and Pilbara

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 9:32 am

Karijini is fantastic. I don't understand all the whinging about the roads, I thought they were fine. I've travelled far worse in the Victorian Alps and the Centre. And there's plenty of walking if you don't mind a little bit of scrambling and going off track. It's not like you're going to get lost in the gorges, and most of the scrub up top easily negotiable. Punurrunha is a lovely half day return walk, except for the mine. But there is a lot of country that can be easily accessed and walked off-track. Given the prevailing weather conditions, you don't even need a particularly good map, line of sight navigation is fine.

Kalbarri, on the other hand, left me cold. Except for the wildflowers. The gorge is OK but nothing special, and the only really good thing about the coast walk was the whales.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Gallery