Food drops pre-winter road closures

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Food drops pre-winter road closures

Postby Angry155 » Mon 24 Jan, 2022 9:31 am

Hello all,
I was originally planning to commence a Sth-Nth thru traverse in March however work stuff has delayed my quest until November now. I'm after advice on the feasibility/viability of putting my drops in before the winter road closures, around early March, and whether they will survive the months in between. I haven't done any long hauls in the high country before so I could really use your sage advice. Drop locations (at this stage) are:
1. Rumpff saddle
2. Derrick Hut
3. Benambra-Corryony Rd intersection with the AAWT, North of Taylors Crossing
4. Thredbo (probably leave at Hostel so no need to worry about this one)
5. Kiandra (Pollocks Gully)

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Angry155
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Food drops pre-winter road closures

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 03 May, 2022 2:10 pm

Salaam. Do you have a 4 Wd vehicle? Rumpff saddle is not a street sedan kind of access location.
You could put the first supply drop near the Thomson Valley road not far from Stronach's camp.

If you can get into MacAlister Springs on foot from the Howitt road and hide a supply dump near the A frame Gantner hut then that could work but hide it well and use a GPS device to mark the exact location.
The end of Speculation road near Mt. Speculation could be another location that would set you up for the Dry Barry Mountains crossing over to The Twins and Mt. Hotham.

Derrick hut sees a lot of people on foot and XC skis and you cannot drive in there.
Supply drops are easier if you only have to drive in in a 4 WD
or walk no further than 5 kms as is the case for Mac. Springs.
Use metal boxes if possible. Animals and brain dead thieving yobbos can get access to plastic drums and some plastic drums are not totally water proof and snow proof.The next best option would those big white buckets with the resealable lids.
Packing firelighters, some spare stove fuel,spare head torch batteries, candles for the huts , rubbish bin bags , some kindling to start a fire if need be could all be useful.

Cope Hut is near a road and is on the AAWT. The Twins are near the Mt. Hotham road so you could walk some supplies into the point where the AAWT comes down off the Twins and rejoins the Twins Jeep track. Aagin hide the stuff well and mark the location with a reliable GPS device.Take a photo of the location too.
Much better would be to simply ask a hotel / ski lodge or the post office at the Hotham ski resort to keep your supply drop for you and to plan a rest day at the Ski resort . Wash yourself, your attire, eat a different cooked meal that is n't instant noodles and sleep in a real bed.

You can get a car to Big River Saddle and to the Omeo Highway which are two places to access terrain near Mt. Wills. Big River saddle is popular car camping spot for some really knuckle dragging yahoos so be careful where you secrete your supplies.
Gordy at the Glen Wills retreat can pick you up from Christmas Creek saddle on the Omeo higway near Mt. Wills and offer you a rest day at his comfortable establishment . If you contact him you could arrange to send him a supply drop so you will have a bath, laundry , hot meal , real bed and more trekking food, clean dry thermals, clean socks etc. ready to trek with in Gordy's safe hands ready to go.

You can get a car to near Taylor's crossing near the bridge that spans the Mitta Mitta river. That should set you up until you get to Thredbo.
I swear by cous cous as a basic trekking / ski touring dinner ingredient . You can make some decent tasting dinners using it as base. It is light , uses little water to prepare , and uses little stove fuel to cook.Add Ghee and salt and some dried chilli , freeze dried peas , etc. and you will be eating something that tastes like food.Ghee = clarified butter .It is useful and tastyand does not putrify .

Track clearing for Mt. Sunday and Long Spur , both on the AAWT are on the agenda for BTAC this year of 2022. I will go and do battle with those fallen logs and the head high scrub if I can spare the time.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Postby mjustice » Mon 13 Mar, 2023 8:47 pm

I have also been looking at pre-winter road closures and food drops. I've got a SUV and has some 4x4 capabilities..not too much though, so dirt roads are good, small bumps but nothing serious.

My plan for the drops are;
1. Rumpff Saddle
2. Benambra - Corryong Road
3. Kiandra

1. Rumpff is along C486 - Jamieson-Licola road. I'm planning to come up from Licola which I've heard there is a detour which is ok. Is there a defined time if/when this road might close or is it open all year round?
2. Benambra-Corryong - C545 - another dirt road but from everything I've found, seems doable. Same question again, does this get closed and if so, when? Also does the Great Alpine Road from Hotham to Omea (this is one way I can come) also get closed and if so when?
3. Kiandra - I assume there is a bit of snow in winter around here. I be coming in on the Snowy Mountains Highway. Does this close etc...

So far I've been struggling to get a clear picture if they will or won't be closed.
The standard is that roads close on the Kings/Queens Birthday weekend and re-open on Cup weekend (Nov). I'm planning to start walk in Oct.

Lists I've found are
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/get-into-n ... d-closures
Cannot really find anything from this list about the roads mentioned above.
Not sure where to go about Kiandra.

Any help would be much appreciated.
mjustice
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Tue 14 Mar, 2023 6:54 am

You might consider driving down to Taylors crossing instead of doing a drop at the Benambra-Corryong road. You will not have any issue getting to either but you will probably find a few more hiding places near the Mitta Mitt but it is also a popular camping spot so hide it well. Some people leave food drops just off the Omeo Hwy near Sunnyside or where the track heads toward Gill Creek. The Benambra-Corryong road is open unless there is a good dump of snow. Usually closes around Nariel Valley with that. Not a problem for you.

Kiandra should be OK. The roads will be cleared.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mjustice » Tue 14 Mar, 2023 8:43 am

Thanks Xplora, will have a look at changing the location.

With regard to Rumpff is along C486 - Jamieson-Licola road, would this also be open for the entire winter, or same again, lots of snow might mean it is closed.

Thanks for your help,
mjustice
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 14 Mar, 2023 8:46 am

You can get a 2WD into Big River Saddle on the Big River Logging road ,on the AAWT. That is between Mt. Wills and Mt. Bogong( Long Spur).

I was up at Stronach's camp recently and the Thomson Valley Road is 2 WD standard.

The Selwyn Creek Road coming in from The Buckland River is 2 WD standard. Doing a water and Food drop there where it meets the Twins track at a broad saddle could be useful.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Mar, 2023 11:10 am

Jamison-Licola Road is closed over winter; only exceptions are for 4WD groups with special permits.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 14 Mar, 2023 12:38 pm

This doesn't appear to have been updated for '23, but I suspect it's King's Birthday to last weekend in October that Jamieson-Licola rd will be closed.
https://www.mansfield.vic.gov.au/Commun ... #section-3
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mjustice » Tue 14 Mar, 2023 2:58 pm

Thanks all, that is really good info. So the summary is.

1. Rumpff Saddle/Jamieson-Licola Road - closed from King's Birthday (June) to last weekend in Oct.
2. Benambra - Corryong Road - not closed but could be if there is a lot of snow
3. Kiandra - not closed and if snow, would be cleared.

Does that sound about right?
mjustice
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 15 Mar, 2023 8:10 pm

If you do more food/ water/ supply drops it ' s more work but then you won't have carry around so much food/ stuff on your back.
Doing a supply drop near Mac. Springs hut could be useful .
Ditto for the Omeo Hwy. crossing near Sunnyside.
Yes you would need to cart the supplies and containers in from the Howitt Plains Car park but it is only 5 kms one way.
Leaving stuff at the Post Office at Thredbo could work . The same could be said about Mt. Hotham.You could even just post it and see how you go with that.

Getting your hands on a real 4WD would increase the supply drop options considerably .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to AAWT