Naturehike Opalus 3

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Naturehike Opalus 3

Postby Strider » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 12:05 pm

This arrived yesterday and while I'll kick off with a sneak peek, I will add a proper review this weekend once I have a chance to pitch and go over it in detail.

This is the Naturehike Opalus 3 - effectively a $280 Hilleberg Nallo 4GT clone, with some differences, of course! This is my second NH tent - the first being a Star River 2 which I've since on sold.

Has anyone else taken the plunge on an Opalus?

https://www.naturehike.com/opalus-3-person-tunnel-tent/

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Naturehike Opalus 3

Postby Strider » Sat 01 Dec, 2018 8:49 pm

Well, what I can say is this is definitely a lot of tent for the money. Construction quality is excellent as expected, based on my last Naturehike tent experience. All seams are taped and guylines are much more substantial than the Star River 2.

The two piece floor is a first for me (I've only owned much smaller tents in the past), so will be interesting to see if that poses any issues. It does seem to be missing two plastic rings from the foot end of the fly for the inner and footprint to attach, but I'm only making an assumption here as this is what the other attachment points have.

Weight is 2778g, considerably higher than the claimed 2316g, but the comment "plus accessories" probably explains it with additional weight likely the pegs and poles. Still not that bad considering the size and practicality of this tent.

Will update again once I get it out in the field at Christmas :)

Thanks to model Harry (6).

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Strider
Just curious if you've tried putting mats in the inner. Whilst I'd usually use with 3 people, I'm curious if 4 neoair size mats would fit. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby LittleSpottyTrout » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 11:27 am

Hi Strider.
Do you have any further comment on this tent after having it for a while? I was interested in this tent or the Cloud Up 3 but would be keen to hear your feedback.
Spotty
LittleSpottyTrout
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Nil

Postby emma_melbourne » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 10:58 am

Measurements here in case anyone wants them.

I saw a good review of this tent on Youtube, and I was tempted. (If I didn't already have a Sierra Designs Flash 3 tent which I love....)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.51.09 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.51.09 am.png (751.63 KiB) Viewed 34427 times
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 1:57 pm

How is the Opalus going Strider?

Just in the market for a 3p tent now, just one for adventures with the kids. Have two trips with them in the next few weeks which prompted my reconsideration of tent arrangements.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simjo » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 11:31 am

Hey there,
I'm planning on doing the Overland track with my partner and three teenage kids, and thinking of getting this for the kids to share. Is this too much tent for the platforms?
simjo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to Gear Reviews