SFT Section closed

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

SFT Section closed

Postby jsprolon » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 2:28 pm

As per http://www.sixfoottrack.com/ , the Jenolan Cottages to Jenolan Caves section is under repair.
Is there any update regarding when it may re-open?
Thanks
jsprolon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: SFT Section closed

Postby shaunarundell » Mon 14 Feb, 2022 7:18 pm

I hiked the track last week and was told the Jenolan road would be opening Saturday 5-Feb-22. Not sure how accurate the info is.
I started the track from where it crossed the Jenolan road - great idea, skipped 7k uphill.
shaunarundell
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Australia

Postby oskw » Wed 16 Feb, 2022 10:35 pm

hey folks,
a few friends and I are kinda locked in date wise to do the trek friday-sunday 18-20 March. Would love to find a way to reach the caves if possible walking an alt route as finishing at the Jenolan Cave Cabins might be a bit of an anticlimax.

happy to tack on a few more hours to day 3 to get to somewhere like the jenolan river fire trail or something, but unsure if that is operational at the moment.

thanks in advance :)
oskw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Thu 17 Feb, 2022 10:04 am

oskw wrote:hey folks,
a few friends and I are kinda locked in date wise to do the trek friday-sunday 18-20 March. Would love to find a way to reach the caves if possible walking an alt route as finishing at the Jenolan Cave Cabins might be a bit of an anticlimax.

happy to tack on a few more hours to day 3 to get to somewhere like the jenolan river fire trail or something, but unsure if that is operational at the moment.

thanks in advance :)

Many years since I walked the SFT (in the opposite direction). Yes it looks like the only practical option would be via the McKeown's Valley track/Jenolan River, assuming there's a connecting track from the cottages. Or a (sensible) route that can be followed. It only looks a km or so in between but I wouldn't want to scrub bash the whole way.
McKeown's Valley track appears to be open but they only list a very short version of it - https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/walking-tracks/mckeowns-valley-walking-track
I know that area was badly affected by the fires so it may only be partly accessible. Suggest ringing the cottages/caves (same contact number) who may be able to help.
Otherwise try NPWS at Blackheath/Govetts Leap, as they also act as the tourism/advice bureau for the region. Best to get hold of someone with relevant local knowledge (not always possible).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Six Foot Track