Tramping Queenstown region.

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tramping Queenstown region.

Postby paradza » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 8:12 pm

Hoping for some recommendations:
Looking for a 4-5 day 'Bushwalk/Tramp' around the Queenstown greater area. 10th to Sunday 14th October 2018. Whilst fit, and fairly experienced, limited Snow experiences and first time to the South Island.
Research to date seems to point to the Rees Dart. Time and conditions permitting, like the idea of a diversion out and back up to the Cascade Saddle. looked into 5 peaks, but time and winter experience limit that?
Welcome input on this idea and conditions at this time. If a feasible proposition, suggestions on gear list beyond what is the norm in 'Stralia.

Cheers
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Tramping Queenstown region.

Postby Aardvark » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 9:20 pm

If you arrive in Queenstown on the 10th there will be the issue of getting to the trailhead. A hire car will be quicker than a bus trip. ie buses to Glenorchy leave QT in the morning and afternoon runs can be unreliable, even in summer. That means your never usually starting on the Rees or anywhere else out that way until well into the day or even the next day. The return journey may not line up with your flight out in a similar way.
Therefore your desire for a 4-5 tramp may need to be curtailed.
Also, you would need to check if the bridge over Snowy Ck, on the Rees/Dart, is in place at this time of year. There was also an issue with the bridge back across to Dart Hut being washed out not so long ago.
You may want to consider the Motatapu from Wanaka to QT. It is perhaps realistic within that time limit. Even in October. Saddles on that one aren't too high and they have snow poles. It does require a little navigation experience because the track hasn't been made into a highway yet. It is part of the national trail and traffic has greatly increased. Shouldn't be too busy this time of year.
The Motatapu is quite accessible at either end and won't take a lot of time to travel.
You could also walk between QT and Wanaka via the Pisa Range. Huts are also available. It's very accessible. There are lots of access points around the Pisa Range (about 8). It can be covered in snow because it has a higher altitude (Pisa is 1960m). The Snow Farm is up that way too.
Good luck with your planning.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 2:22 pm

cascade saddle is under snow and is likely to be so in october, you must know how to use ice ax and crampons to go there., its a steep climb thats killed several people.
late snow could put the Rees saddle under snow as well.
considerable avalanche risk above 1000m around aspiring park at present ,
still snowing
someone was avalanched off Ben lomond behind queenstown the other week

https://www.avalanche.net.nz/region/11
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wayno » Mon 17 Sep, 2018 5:35 am

the cascade saddle is often in snow right through into december, sometimes even January.

big snow dump coming in now that will remain on cascade saddle for weeks,.

https://www.metservice.com/mountain/mt- ... ional-park

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/107128 ... -livestock
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paradza » Mon 17 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks for your contributions, much appreciated.
The others you suggested Aardvark having a look at them. At first glance the Pisa Range track looks quite exposed should conditions turn for the worst? Motatapu looks like a closer and easier option, thanks

And just to elaborate, I actually arrive on the 9th. I'm tagging along with my wife those going to conference. We're then doing the campervan thing for the following week. So I do have a driver. However the less travel to the trailhead the better. That being the case Rees Dart an option?

I do have crampons ( used in Sierras) no Ice axe though. As far as other gear, what's the sleeping bag rating recommendation?

Thanks again
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 4:32 am

for that time of year at least 10 degrees comfort rating or lower with a down jacket as backup, at least 5 or lowr if camping out high up
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paradza » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:37 am

thanks Wayno,
that does surprise me, you didnt mean MINUS 10 did you?
And thanks for sending the Avalanche site. Running thru the online course. Very good.
Cheers
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:58 am

those temps are a bare minimum because when i suggest lower often people ignore the advice because they dont want to spend the money on a bag, the lower the better if its cold weather.. it shouldnt be minus ten at least not for long at that time of year, minus 2 in queenstown with the southerly going through now but by next month it will be warmer and thats a particularly cold day in sept.
the biggest issues are the wet and the windchill.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paradza » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 4:27 pm

..the biggest issues are the wet and the windchill...
and avalanches, ranging rivers, washed out bridges, several deaths. But besides that its a doddle :lol:
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lizzy » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 7:12 pm

Brrrrr I’d want a bag that is toasty in the negatives....
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paradza » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:25 am

This is what the good folk at DOC had to say:
Thank you for your enquiry!

This track usually very dangerous that time of the year. The bridges will remain removed until there is no avalanche risk which is usually not until late November/early December.

Currently almost the entire track is under snow and ice as we have just had a big snow storm which has also brought down many trees on the track. It will be a while until we can get rangers out there safely to clear the track.

I would be most concerned with avalanches that time of the year. We have had a very snowy winter and spring can be one of the worst times for avalanches. The Rees-Dart runs through complex avalanche terrain and it is not unusual that time of the year to have large avalanches down onto the track.

Without having done an avalanche course and carrying avalanche equipment we do not recommend this track that time of the year.
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:32 am

so its a definite goer then...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paradza » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 8:51 am

yup, locked it in.. Nothing like a challenge. The Hilton in QT is looking attractive by the day.
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

currently snowing down to 300m

Postby wayno » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 5:42 am

currently snowing down to 100m
avalanche risk going up
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/mets ... -fall-100m
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paradza » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 8:54 am

thanks, not looking promising.
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 12:31 pm

avalanche on the milford rd, road closed

avalanche risk for wanaka area, considerable above 1000m

https://avalanche.net.nz/region/11
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paradza » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:22 pm

So DOC are suggesting Greenstone and Caples track. Obviously not Avalanche prone. Under the circumstances least risk option. and I imagine DOC would be very conservative in their recommendations.
Ques: Are there and ferries, transfers for transport too and from?

thanks
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Sun 07 Oct, 2018 3:31 am

Same shuttle co as the other tracks
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aardvark » Sun 07 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm

Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby paradza » Mon 08 Oct, 2018 7:09 am

cheers
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paradza » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 10:13 am

Just feedback on trip. Least I can do after contributions. Of course, magnificent countryside.
There was a fair amount of spring snow, so DOC had Avalanche warnings on most of the tracks.
My solo Tramp was up to Routeburn Falls Hut. It was just below the snow line that day. Dumped my stuff and headed up to Lake Harris. Ventured up a little further, but the track from their on had some good snow cover, which was fun, but I see what the issue is around that section, looking above. Microspikes helped. A lot.
Stayed overnight at the hut. Only 2 other couples staying. Funnily, none seemed like wanting to get the fire going so started prep'ing myself, then the warden came and took over. I mean how good was that. Hot fire/stove laid on. Pure luxury. *&%$#! cold night though.
Started to snow over night and in the next morning. Went back up and mucked about scouted around the lake and headed down later that.

Ended up hiring a cheap rental, which was by far the best call. i think $45 for the 2 days. Most convenient option.

Next, had arranged a trip up Ben Lomond with a local, Phil. Good snow cover ontop. He had a spare pair of crampons, which we used to good effect. There were some really ill prepared people heading up as we went down, and the weather turn sour. We had the best of the day, with stunning 360 views. Bang for hiking buck, BL is a great day trip. AND bonus, had a beer or three at the cable car station.

After this, hired a campervan and my wife and I toured up through West coast.
Good day trips: Rob Roy. Stayed at car park trailhead (put the campervan in 4x4 mode for that :) ). Robert's look out at Franz Josef Glacier.
Other great overnight spots: Gillespe Beach. Kaniere Lake (Superb) and a little spot Craigieburn (think the names changed).

Cheers
Clive
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby nwphil » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 4:10 am

paradza wrote:Just feedback on trip. Least I can do after contributions. Of course, magnificent countryside.
There was a fair amount of spring snow, so DOC had Avalanche warnings on most of the tracks.
My solo Tramp was up to Routeburn Falls Hut. It was just below the snow line that day. Dumped my stuff and headed up to Lake Harris. Ventured up a little further, but the track from their on had some good snow cover, which was fun, but I see what the issue is around that section, looking above. Microspikes helped. A lot.
Stayed overnight at the hut. Only 2 other couples staying. Funnily, none seemed like wanting to get the fire going so started prep'ing myself, then the warden came and took over. I mean how good was that. Hot fire/stove laid on. Pure luxury. *&%$#! cold night though.
Started to snow over night and in the next morning. Went back up and mucked about scouted around the lake and headed down later that.

Ended up hiring a cheap rental, which was by far the best call. i think $45 for the 2 days. Most convenient option.

Next, had arranged a trip up Ben Lomond with a local, Phil. Good snow cover ontop. He had a spare pair of crampons, which we used to good effect. There were some really ill prepared people heading up as we went down, and the weather turn sour. We had the best of the day, with stunning 360 views. Bang for hiking buck, BL is a great day trip. AND bonus, had a beer or three at the cable car station.

After this, hired a campervan and my wife and I toured up through West coast.
Good day trips: Rob Roy. Stayed at car park trailhead (put the campervan in 4x4 mode for that :) ). Robert's look out at Franz Josef Glacier.
Other great overnight spots: Gillespe Beach. Kaniere Lake (Superb) and a little spot Craigieburn (think the names changed).

Cheers
Clive

Hi Clive,
thanks for the update - I have been following this thread in order to get some updated info on conditions and what-not.
Yeah, at this time DOC might put us on an Heli to go around the saddle, but as our walk is scheduled for mid November, there is a chance for the restriction to be lifted
Been looking at the metservice forecast - it seems that winter still is around, by looking at temperatures above 1000 meters - below zero at Harris Saddle even during the day. Was that what you experienced at the hut? ( yes , it's on the other side and lower)
Thanks
Phillip
nwphil
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby wayno » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 5:09 am

the weather varies wildly all throughout the year
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nwphil » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 5:57 am

wayno wrote:the weather varies wildly all throughout the year

Hi Wayno.
I don't expect less - more even in NZ.
already switched my bag to a warmer one, but -6C and such it's often my mid-day alpine snowshoeing temperature. So, what I have right now as clothing can handle that but at -11C I would be then wearing snowpants. Obviously, hard to say what the weather will be doing in 3 weeks, and it seems a bit over the top for a single day above 1000 meters. Mind that we will be doing that at least in four different locations, hence considering having them packed or not.
For tongariro northern circuit, I am bringing ice ax and crampons as we are planing to summit some of the volcanoes, weather permitting
nwphil
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Return to New Zealand