Taking homemade dehydrated meals to NZ from Aus

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Taking homemade dehydrated meals to NZ from Aus

Postby Arnold » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi, does anyone know if we can take homemade dehydrated meals, containing meat, into NZ? TIA
Arnold
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Taking homemade dehydrated meals to NZ from Aus

Postby tomh » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 9:03 pm

tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Arnold » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks tomh, I've already emailed NZ Customs, and will post what I learn here
Arnold
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Arnold » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 7:18 am

So my original question to NZ Customs (MPI) was:

"Hi,
Greetings from Melbourne Australia.
A few of us are planning a hiking trip to NZ in April. We cook and then dehydrate our own hiking dinners, and would like to know if we can bring these to NZ for our hike. Our dinners are typically meat based, and are dehydrated to the point where they resemble dry gravel.
Thanks"

And their reply was:

"Home-made meals containing meat are not allowed entry. They must meet the below requirements to be considered entry into the country.

Animal product-based floss, flavouring or stock and any products containing animal product-based floss, flavouring or stock (for example: instant foods, camping mixes and soup mixes) may be imported from any country provided all of the following requirements are met:
a) The product is shelf-stable.
b) The product does not require further cooking before consumption, but may require rehydration or reheating prior to consumption.
c) The total weight of private consignments of camping meals containing meat pieces is 1 kilogram or less.

Products containing less than 5% meat ingredients may be imported from any country provided all of the following requirements are met:
a) The product is shelf-stable.
b) The product must be:
i) Accompanied by a manufacturer’s declaration, which certifies that the product contains less than 5% meat ingredients; or
ii) In commercial packaging that states the product contains less than 5% meat ingredients.

All items arriving into New Zealand must be declared -on a passenger arrival card at the airport or postal declaration documents on mail items. A Quarantine Officer may need to look at the items.

Note that this email is not a guarantee that your goods will be given clearance. It is a guide only and is based on the details you have provided and the current import requirements which are subject to change. The Ministry for Primary Industries disclaims any and all responsibility for any inaccuracy, error, or any other deficiency in this information, and also fully excludes any and all liability to the maximum extent permitted by law of any kind to any person or entity that chooses to rely upon the information. For more information on importation requirements please visit http://mpi.govt.nz

From IHS Ediproic http://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/1751

Regards"
Arnold
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RonK » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 9:14 am

Vacuum pack them, make your own fake labels and go. At worst they'll be confiscated and you will have to buy local products.

But I doubt that will happen. I had no trouble getting Strive meals through last year.

Declare them on entry as dehydrated camping food. No need to say it is home-cooked.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Aardvark » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 9:26 pm

Some years ago, we were attempting to take our own food elements to NZ. There are restrictions on egg and poultry items and it's best to avoid that altogether. We were advised the least you would need would be the list of contents. It's still going to be at the discretion of the agent at the time. We, not long after, abandoned taking anything. It only complicates your passage. We have since found ways to get what we want and my visits number more than forty now.
I imagine the main reason you would persist would be because you are arriving in country at an unusual time and doubt the availability of foodstuffs whilst enroute to your trailhead. I arrive in ChCh at midnight often. I've always marvelled at how i'm sometimes shopping at 1am. I've had a motel accept groceries i purchased online and had delivered. I couldn't do any shopping at a big supermarket in Brisbane after 9pm.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paradza » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 12:23 pm

Recently (9/10) went thru customs in Queenstown, declared my homemade dehydrated meals. They confiscated the meat (cow) products; mince, stew. Food and mouth disease the officer stated. What the heck. Didnt faze me. Still had the veg and a chicken stew.
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby bernieq » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 9:06 pm

I've taken my home-dehy food into NZ on many occasions without any issue.

1. Declare everything, have a printed list of ingredients.
2. Meat : no red meat, no salmon. Chicken and tuna are OK.
3. Dehy must be dry.

I take NZ bio-security very seriously. All my gear is thoroughly cleaned - I wear my boots through bio-security so they are easily inspected. Tent, pegs, pack etc are free of dirt, seed and other vegetative matter.

Once they see the obvious effort, the inspectors have generally been very chatty and not at all concerned about the food, usually glancing at the ziplok meal bags and waving them through. Only once has one inspector referred to another officer for advice (turns out it was his first night on duty !).

I did have the laugh/cry once, though. Boots and food checked OK, I opened my case and out popped a big black spider! Smack from the officer - quick as! and no more spider :)

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Return to New Zealand