Hiking boots recs

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Hiking boots recs

Postby Chupachupstho » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 4:16 pm

I've got a couple of high and low waterproof hiking boots which I'm looking to upgrade. I keep reading that no shoes are really waterproof and that low cut trail runners are the way to go. Are there any you'd recommend?

In terms on mid cut hiking boots,
I've seen Zamberlan, Scarpa, Northface hedgehog fastpack women's, Merrell Moab, Merrell accentor vents and McKinley's.

I'm hit by decision paralysis, there's just so many options - help! Are one of the boots (see attached) better than others by a mile? Thanks again.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220320-160050.png
Screenshot_20220320-155610.png
Screenshot_20220320-155552.png
Screenshot_20220320-155635.png
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking boots recs

Postby peregrinator » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 5:05 pm

Chupachupstho wrote:I've got a couple of high and low waterproof hiking boots which I'm looking to upgrade. I keep reading that no shoes are really waterproof and that low cut trail runners are the way to go. Are there any you'd recommend?

In terms on mid cut hiking boots,
I've seen Zamberlan, Scarpa, Northface hedgehog fastpack women's, Merrell Moab, Merrell accentor vents and McKinley's.

I'm hit by decision paralysis, there's just so many options - help! Are one of the boots (see attached) better than others by a mile? Thanks again.

Yes, I was amazed at the number of options when recently needing new boots, so I know how you feel. Unfortunately there's no such thing as "better" when it comes to recommendations. You have to work it out for yourself.

So, study what's available online. Make a list of what you think suit your criteria. Go to a good shop (or shops) and try on as many pairs as you can. Don't do this in a hurry.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 8:11 pm

Hey Chupachup,
I agree with Peregrinator. I don't understand how people can recommend a particular brand when feet are so personal. Different brands use differently shaped lasts. Some feet blister easily, like mine. I finally found a pair of lighter weight North Face boots that fit my particular foot shape. They were actually waterproof! But that was years ago, and I don't know what they're like now. I then developed a problem with an achilles tendon, and had to resort to shoes. Other friends have dry feet on wet off-track walks with full leather boots, and don't get blisters (half their luck!). It also depends on whether you do lots of rough off-track (scrub and rock), or mainly on tracks. If the latter, you have a lot more options.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 8:24 pm

Your feet are not the same as mine.
Let your feet decide. One foot will be larger than the other .. that is the one you want to use to gauge size... wear your thickest socks.

Waterproof footware .. well they are only water proof to the height of the boot/shoe. Once the water goes over the top they are buckets of water.. and they will not dry out for at least 3 days in otherwise dry conditions. Non waterproof will dry out far quicker .. in the same dry conditions. All footware is waterproof to the height of the tread...

Boots or shoes .. upto you . Shoes will weigh less...

Me? Salomon XA3D wide non waterproof. So far... for the walking I do. I have some other brands/models too ... but so far the XAs are my choice. I am considering getting something different for winter walking ... the socks get thicker for winter ..
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 9:41 pm

Some folks find waterproof socks in non-waterproof boots or shoes work for cold/wet conditions. I've tried a couple of brands. My feet stayed warm but I got more blisters.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Mar, 2022 6:57 am

There is nothing more individual than footwear. Different sizes, different shapes - heel width, ball width, toes, instep, arch, achilles ... the best boot/shoe is what fits you and suits the type of walking you do.
Good advice on how to get a good fit so far. Later in the day when your feet have swollen, same socks you wear walking (and make sure your socks are a good fit, because too loose or too tight there will also cause problems), fit to the bigger foot, move around a lot and try while carrying a load if possible.
Leather/fabric, shoe/boot, waterproof/non-waterproof is about the sort of walking you do and, again, what works for you. Leather will last longer on rough off-track walking, but it's heavier. Boots can give more support in some areas but, again, they're heavier. Waterproofing has a limited life and does mean longer drying times once wet, but if you're out on a dewy morning or in the rain or hauling through mud it's so much more pleasant to not get soggy feet straight away.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Al M » Thu 31 Mar, 2022 12:13 am

Unless you know and have tried the heavy duty stiff and clunky boots are comfortable for your feet on long hikes I would avoid them in favour of the more comfortable and flexible lighter options to avoid serious blisters.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby sandym » Thu 31 Mar, 2022 6:04 am

What about leather approach shoes? You can put waterproof goop (beeswax etc.) on them but like most people on here, nothing really lasts. With all that stitching in all those boots pictured I doubt that any of them will be waterproof. For best waterproofness you need one piece of leather shaped into a boot. All the fancy stitching and different bits of fabric stitched together is a fine example of things being worse than they used to, IMHO.

But, I have not worn boots for decades prefering approach shoes or trail runnes, so all of those look like serious overkill to me.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking