Scarp 1 new 2022 model

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Scarp 1 new 2022 model

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 04 Jan, 2022 6:00 pm

Looks like the tarp tent crew have made some modifications to the scarp.

2022 model: https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-1

2022 model is lighter 1368g (solid inner) vs 1468g for last year's model which was last updated in 2019 I think.

Unfortunately that impressive 100g weight reduction has come with a whopping $100usd price rise. :shock:
US$359 to US$459. Was quite tempted until I read that.

This is what's been updated according to the tarp tent site.

- Lighter solid fabrics for lower weight.
- More secure PitchLoc tubing connections.
- Improved interior pockets.
- End to end manufacturing quality improvement.
- Optional crossing poles are now 100g heavier than earlier model. Now 9mm (not sure what they were before)

2021 model for comparison: https://web.archive.org/web/20210901205 ... /#tab-id-2
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Scarp 1 new 2022 model

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Jan, 2022 6:59 pm

The only modification I ever wanted was to make the corner struts easily removable so the damn thing could be packed horizontally.. But apart from that, they've now made this about the best one person tent around. The extra room is welcome; build quality was already reasonable, so to improve that is good. It's worth the money; you won't find a better design out there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Wed 05 Jan, 2022 9:37 pm

I wish they'd used stronger fabric for the floor instead of increasing the size on the ?2019 model. I thought the old version was plenty roomy enough. Having a 1.5 person tent is overkill for me, and unnecessary weight. As I expected, it's the floor of my Scarp that failed first, even though I always used a footprint with it. I'm trying to decide if I'll have a crack at replacing the floor myself, though it would be a tricky and dodgy job. I really liked that tent.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 5:12 am

Tortoise wrote:I wish they'd used stronger fabric for the floor instead of increasing the size on the ?2019 model. I thought the old version was plenty roomy enough. Having a 1.5 person tent is overkill for me, and unnecessary weight. As I expected, it's the floor of my Scarp that failed first, even though I always used a footprint with it. I'm trying to decide if I'll have a crack at replacing the floor myself, though it would be a tricky and dodgy job. I really liked that tent.

I might have missed it but I don't think the size of 2022 model has changed compared to the 2019. Or do you mean the 2019 model increased in size?(from earlier models)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 7:43 am

wildwanderer wrote: Or do you mean the 2019 model increased in size?(from earlier models)

That's what I mean. I can't replace my old one without going bigger. :(
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Sat 08 Jan, 2022 1:05 pm

Tortoise wrote:I can't replace my old one without going bigger
Not sure that's correct, Tortoise.

Comparing my 2013 scarp footprint specifications with the current 2022 scarp, they are identical - 218 x 81cm
What changed was the ability to pull the floor out to make it wider; a design innovation rather than a size change (which can be retrofitted with a little bit of sewing).

I will note, however, that the 2022 height spec is 39in/107cm (adjustable) - odd, given 39in = 99cm, not 107cm.
My 2013 scarp height spec is 39in/99cm.

Maybe Franco will chip in with verification but I would expect you can replace your pre-2019 inner with the current version (no increase in size, and probably a sniff lighter).

BTW, pinprick holes in the floor can be sealed with silicon.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Sat 08 Jan, 2022 2:12 pm

bernieq wrote:
Tortoise wrote:I can't replace my old one without going bigger
Not sure that's correct, Tortoise.

Comparing my 2013 scarp footprint specifications with the current 2022 scarp, they are identical - 218 x 81cm
What changed was the ability to pull the floor out to make it wider; a design innovation rather than a size change (which can be retrofitted with a little bit of sewing).

I will note, however, that the 2022 height spec is 39in/107cm (adjustable) - odd, given 39in = 99cm, not 107cm.
My 2013 scarp height spec is 39in/99cm.

Maybe Franco will chip in with verification but I would expect you can replace your pre-2019 inner with the current version (no increase in size, and probably a sniff lighter).

BTW, pinprick holes in the floor can be sealed with silicon.

Hmm. Thanks for that, Bernie. I'll check it out. I have a friend who got the version after mine, and it looked huge, and I'm sure it weighed more. But it obviously needs a closer look.
I might still have a go, but there are hundreds if not thousands of tiny holes etc in the floor. I'd have to do a decent coat of silicon over the entire floor. I thought it'd be hard not to miss bits.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking