Tarptent proTrail Li

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Tarptent proTrail Li

Postby Franco » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 8:28 am

Should be announced today.
Some pics :
ProTrail_Li_3.jpg

ProTrail_Li_2.jpg

ProTrail_Li_5.jpg

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I haven't been working for Tarptent for a while, there wasn't enough work for me to do even at that very very part time mode, but I am still very much in contact with the owners and the brand itself.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tarptent proTrail Li

Postby Lamont » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 11:22 am

I know at least one person that has been waiting for this. Cowabunga.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 1:51 pm

Lamont wrote:I know at least one person that has been waiting for this. Cowabunga.

Secret bank account hidden from wife Loaded and Armed. Sights now firmly set on the TT website. Wish me luck :lol:

Edit: changed quote to Lamont's and yes, just a little excited, can't focus on work ATM, but it's early morning in the US, so I'm guessing it wont come on site until later tonight.
Does look nice, looks the same as the old Protrail except DCF, magnetic tie-back and a zipper. I'd say there are a few other changes as well. We will know soon enough
Last edited by crollsurf on Wed 03 Jun, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 2:04 pm

You must be excited Crolly-your'e quoting your good self :lol:
It looks verryy nice.
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 03 Jun, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 2:06 pm

Looks great!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 3:14 pm

Still no product page but should be up soon.
The plan is to start taking orders on their 4/06/20 (Fri here) , the day I turn 65.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 4:34 pm

crollsurf wrote:
Lamont wrote:I know at least one person that has been waiting for this. Cowabunga.

Secret bank account hidden from wife Loaded and Armed. Sights now firmly set on the TT website. Wish me luck :lol:

Edit: changed quote to Lamont's and yes, just a little excited, can't focus on work ATM, but it's early morning in the US, so I'm guessing it wont come on site until later tonight.
Does look nice, looks the same as the old Protrail except DCF, magnetic tie-back and a zipper. I'd say there are a few other changes as well. We will know soon enough

How much are you thinking you'll need from the Lichtenstein bank account? $350,450?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 5:47 pm

Lamont wrote:How much are you thinking you'll need from the Lichtenstein bank account? $350,450?

I got no idea other than it should be less than the Aeon Li. I'd guess around $450 US, so should be able to land here for under $700
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 7:41 pm

I expect you will be pretty happy the exchange rate is almost back to 70c US.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Rosscodj » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 7:43 am

Its alive:

https://www.tarptent.com/product/protrail-li/

$499usd (~$720aud) at 511g including stuff sack, cord and stakes.
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby oysters » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 10:06 am

Very impressive, and glad that TT did this.
Though now I'm really torn as to what to do with my shelter solutions going forward haha! I was really starting to get into the art of the poncho haha!
oysters
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby Franco » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 1:12 pm

I am biased havin used the Contrail ( 2 versions) for a few years but have you tried pitching your poncho under rain ?
I never have but it does not sound like fun to me....
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lachmac » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 5:54 pm

Wow, out of stock on the first day. Crollsurf I hope you ordered one in time!
lachmac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 6:41 pm

That " 'out of stock" is used to prevent placing orders because sales orders will be taken from tomorrow.
The stock is at Nevada city waiting to be shipped out.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 9:07 am

Woah!! This will make a lot of people very happy. Moving the production OS was a very smart move of TTs part. Hopefully we will see a lot more in the way of DCF from them.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 9:29 am

Zapruda wrote:Woah!! This will make a lot of people very happy. Moving the production OS was a very smart move of TTs part. Hopefully we will see a lot more in the way of DCF from them.

Henry had to look for an additional manufacturer to the Seattle factory because for the last few years and in particular in 2019, TT kept losing sales for the lack of stock.
Contrary to what some like to believe , getting and training extra sewers is not as simple as it would appear.
So he found this company in China, one that came up in discussions maybe 3-4 years ago. After getting some prototypes from them he realised that the quality was indeed very good so he placed the first models on order followed by some more a few months later.
Coincidentally the Seattle factory had to close, because of the virus, as TT was starting to get stock from China.
Even so, many of the other models are still on backorder.
BTW, Henry did try another Chinese manufacturer about 10 years ago ) but the samples he got back from that one were not good enough so he shelved that idea till last year.
As I posted the other day, there is stock of the Pro Trail Li available at Nevada City.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 4:44 pm

The Protrail Li arrived today! Cost $837.16AUD delivered with rear pole, no GST paid or asked for. It took 6 days to get to Sydney and then 9 days with no updates before arriving at the front door. Worth noting for any first time buyers not to panic, things take time to clear customs, even 2 weeks or more. 9 days is pretty standard.

Opened the package and thought it’s very light but ooh, it looks big in the bag! When I compared it to my old Protrail (in bag), it appears the same width and approx. 6cm longer, so not a lot of difference. It weighted 503g, a smidgen less than advertised.

After setting up the tent, I thought there is no need to post any photos, it looks exactly like the photos on the TT website. It was easy to fold and roll to get back in the bag. I've heard some people have struggled, maybe they were trying to stuff it back in.
The door zipper is stiff and probably unnecessary but you can now pitch the tent in rain and wind and get absolutely no rain inside. I rarely have the front closed, even when raining, but I’ll be grateful for the zipper one day I'm sure and I think it will work well re ventilation. Magnet ties on the door and flaps I instantly took a liking to. Easier to use than velcro ties.
It shouldn't sag overnight like the Silnylon version although I’m yet to prove that. There are less tie outs on the sides but I don’t see that as a problem with DCF. It’s one of the first things I noticed when setting up, with the DCF, you get a taut pitch straight up (although I've had plenty of practice with my old Protrail). A minor adjustment to the bathtub and you’re done.

i'm very happy with the tent so far and will report anything I'm not happy about, but I'm still torn between the Protrail Li and the Aeon (also the MLD and Zpacks Mids). The Mids do have more head room sitting up and are side entry which is nice. The Protrail on the other hand is way easier to setup, especially in bad weather and maybe more storm worthy. Also for taller people, not having the tent wall inches from your face when sleeping, reading, is worth the extra effort getting into a front entry. I think I've made the right choice but others would need to weigh up the pros and cons of a Mid over a Protrail for themselves.

PS would have preferred it was made in the US but no deal breaker.
Last edited by crollsurf on Fri 26 Jun, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks Crolly, I don’t need another tent but damn they look good.

Do you touch the side walls at all when moving around? How did you find your old Protrail in the wind?

Having recently tested an Aeon Li I can definitely confirm that you made the right decision. I love Tarptent but the Aeon is just weird. I could barely move around without touching the walls, a huge difference to my Notch Li and Double Rainbow Li.

One of the best things about DCF is the lack of sag. You shouldn’t have a problem.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 6:19 pm

Zapruda wrote:Thanks Crolly, I don’t need another tent but damn they look good.

Do you touch the side walls at all when moving around? How did you find your old Protrail in the wind?

Having recently tested an Aeon Li I can definitely confirm that you made the right decision. I love Tarptent but the Aeon is just weird. I could barely move around without touching the walls, a huge difference to my Notch Li and Double Rainbow Li.

One of the best things about DCF is the lack of sag. You shouldn’t have a problem.

As a new Protrail Li-er, thats good to hear (sorry Aeon owners LOL)
In the Silnylon version, I do touch the walls but only in the morning and only when getting out of my quilt (EE Revelation -6C). In the evening, never a problem, sleeping, tossing and turning, never a problem but... by the time morning rolls around and the tent has sagged, getting out of the bag is doable but hard without touching the sides from about the thighs down. It's almost a none issue to the point that I would only retention if I had to get up during the night. UPDATE: Head touches top when sitting upright (see below) and I do generally touch walls when getting into tent although you could reverse park if you wanted.

Setting up the Protrail in the wind is almost helpful, grab the rear of the tent and stake out, then the front blows into place. I'm quite careful about site position, so to be honest, I have never been caught out in anything much over 40km/h. Rear into the wind, it doesn't flap. If the wind turned 90 degrees, you probably might have to reposition or put up with one side blowing in on you.
Last edited by crollsurf on Wed 24 Jun, 2020 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 6:39 pm

Nice acquisition Crolly. Hope it works out well.
Sitting up in the front how much head clearance do you get?
Oh....and Cowabunga!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 6:49 pm

Lamont wrote:Nice acquisition Crolly. Hope it works out well.
Oh....and Cowabunga!
At 186cm and average leg/torso proporsitions, my head does scrap the top of the tent. Its comfortable enough and the first spot I wipe down in the morning. And the first thing I checked when I pitched the new tent. Under 6' and maybe you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 7:12 pm

crollsurf wrote:
Lamont wrote:Nice acquisition Crolly. Hope it works out well.
Oh....and Cowabunga!
At 186cm and average leg/torso proporsitions, my head does scrap the top of the tent. Its comfortable enough and the first spot I wipe down in the morning. And the first thing I checked when I pitched the new tent. Under 6' and maybe you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Onya boyo. Ta.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bellows » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 9:19 am

My first post. My new protrail li arrived on Monday and have had it set-up two nights, one with rain and the other with dew: zero sag, Hooray! I'm 176cm, but long torsoed and can sit comfortably in the front end. My previous tent is a moment single wall which was always a good tent, but I really got sick of the sagging tent fabric so close to my head in the morning. The protrail is much more voluminous generally and its really easy to move around in and get in and out of the sleeping bag etc. The front entrance is actually easier to get into than the side entrance on the moment. I also find the flexibility in the packing shape which the stuff sack allows to be a real positive. I read some comments about the lack of mid-side guy-out points on reddit, but I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing in this regard at tarptent and I think i'll just throw a shoe or something on the netting on the inside if it flaps too much. Really easy to get a taut pitch first up and its still taut two days later, I'm thrilled with it.
Bellows
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 7:31 am

Any updates on using this in wild storms?

I'm considering going smaller and lighter. It could be pretty challenging to pitch on very rough sites with vaguely good orientation in terms of wind direction and ground slope. Then of course, wind often changes direction in these here southern climes. And there's always the chance of being tent-bound for a couple of days, but it may be a little more manageable for 5'0" hobbits. I've decided to go for the SOL Escape Pro bivvy for remote emergencies, and I'm thinking that should give me a bit more leeway for storms in this tent.

I'm reluctant to give up the 2 vestibules and side entry of my Scarp 1, but it sounds like some people don't have too much trouble getting in and out of the ProTrail.

Ta for comments.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 8:21 am

I have had both front and side entry tents. I think I prefer the side entry as it can allow more room for vestibule gear clear of my passage.

I think the shape of the protrail is fine for a 2 trekking pole tent in stormy weather, certainly better than some other offerings. A tunnel tent would be better but then you have the little extra weight of the poles.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 11:47 am

During the day you can move the front pole to the side so you have more room getting in and out . For some it might be easier to sit on the floor pointing outwards then twist arouund when getting in .
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 5:21 pm

Tortoise wrote:Any updates on using this in wild storms?

Hi Tortoise, I had my Protrail Li in gusty ~60klm winds the other night and it stood up to the wind well... better than I expected. I didn't for one second think it was going to fail or collapse. The sides were bending in but weren't touching me or making any real noise. The leading edges on both sides of the front of the tent however, were flapping noisily and made it next to impossible to sleep. I tried adjusting the pitch without success. Should have shut the front door but didn't think of it at the time.

There are 4 extra tie outs that I didn't have stakes for, maybe that would have helped. I don't normally camp in exposed places so not sure, maybe every/most tents flap a lot on those winds. Thredbo Top Station was recording gusts of 65klm. I was higher but not as exposed.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 09 Feb, 2021 7:18 am

Onya Crolly, good to know.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 09 Feb, 2021 2:21 pm

I don't have need of a new tent, but if I did, this tickles ma fancy a little.
Roomier inside than I expected. I had never seriously looked at the Protrail in its silnylon form before so really had just made (incorrect) assumptions about space.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 10 Feb, 2021 10:04 am

There is a 3D clip of every model under Usable Volume.
Inside the tent there is a 6' dummy (or two) on top of a 1" mat.
Playing the clip should give a better idea of the usable space inside.
This is a still from the Pro Trail clip.
Pro Trail.jpg
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking