Tarptent Double Rainbow Li

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Tarptent Double Rainbow Li

Postby Zapruda » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 8:10 pm

Kott wrote:Zapruda - how tall are you? ie trying to understand how you fit into notch compared to Double rainbow?

188cm. Mostly on a xtherm/xlite with a lofty -10 winter bag. The Altaplex only benefits from its size when it’s pitched on completely level ground. If it’s pitched on uneven tussock for example, it loses a dramatic amount of useable space.

The Notch doesn’t suffer that problem. The struts help keep the shape. The Notch is excellent for taller folk IMO.

I have no experience with the Double Rainbow sorry.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 8:22 pm

If used as a solo , so you can set your mat directly under the pole, the DR has more space above you when you sit up as well as around you.
The Notch can take higher winds and more snow too, provided that you use the right pegs and use the apex guyouts.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Kott » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 8:37 pm

mhmh interesting...makes this all a tad complicated...i do like luxuries of space that DR2 has over notch however weight and walking sticks combination seems to make it more appealing.

apparently there are changes coming to Notch in May. I'm interested to see what they are
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 8:44 pm

Kott wrote:mhmh interesting...makes this all a tad complicated...i do like luxuries of space that DR2 has over notch however weight and walking sticks combination seems to make it more appealing.

apparently there are changes coming to Notch in May. I'm interested to see what they are

The Notch Li just had its updates. You might be getting it confused with the Aeon Li which is due for an update soon.

Also, double wall vs single skin should be a deciding factor when looking at the the DR vs Notch. Where I walk in the alps, I really need a double wall in these smaller tents. Is it humid where you walk?
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 9:53 pm

TT delivery about two weeks, in normal global circumstances.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kott » Fri 01 May, 2020 10:02 am

I'm in Melbourne and currently rocking Mont Moondance 1 which is 1.5kg and double wall, packs down reasonably small. I got it few months back because its supposedly bulletproof and the floor is strong but there are few tweaks that would make this tent better. I tend to go to NZ, Alps here and hopefully Europe and South America too. Hence looking for something lighter...
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby emma_melbourne » Wed 13 May, 2020 1:36 pm

I've just bit the bullet and ordered the Tarptent Double Rainbow Li.

I'll post a review once I've had a chance to try it out.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 14 May, 2020 1:22 pm

Congrats on your purchase, Emma. I bet the postie can't bring it fast enough! Look forward to seeing pics and hearing what you think of it once it arrives.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kott » Thu 14 May, 2020 7:24 pm

oh that's exciting Emma!

Keen to hear your thoughts. I'm also close to getting this.
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 14 May, 2020 10:50 pm

Thanks @Ms_Mudd and @Kott.

Yes I'm so looking forward to receiving it and taking it out. It's been such a stressful time with the Coronavirus lockdown and I've had to do 300% as much work to get through it, so it's my treat to myself and my daughter. It will encourage my hiking, solo and with her both, make my pack that little bit lighter and more pleasant, and quick to pitch that Double Rainbow Li when we hike into our campsite. And it feels somehow a homely design with the rainbow shaped arch. 2 mins set-up to pitch, and done. Wipe down the condensation in the morning and air it out, shake or wipe off water, and pack up off we go. I feel good about it already just thinking of it.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 15 May, 2020 2:19 am

That is wonderful on so many levels. These stressful times has also seen me turn to thinking more about the gear I carry and ways I can positively enhance my experience. Glad to hear the anticipation of the new shelter is bringing loads of excitement and happiness.
I do like the look of the double rainbows for sure, I think the arch going the way it does would give a sense of spaciousness inside. Super simple to pitch as you say also- light enough to carry when on your own and spacious enough to fit your wee lass in there too. Winning all round.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Birdman » Sun 17 May, 2020 5:46 pm

I have the 2016 Double Rainbow and I love it! I have spent more than 300 nights in it so far. Still going strong and would buy it again, though I regret that they have made the top wider in the latest version because it will be less wind-resistant than the old version.

DCF is not for me I'm afraid. I don't like that you can see through. Most of the places where I camp there is nobody around, but in some cases there is and then I would like the privacy option of a non-DCF
My walking and travel reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/
Birdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Petew » Wed 20 May, 2020 11:08 am

For anyone curious about how see through .51oz DCF is, I got some in the mail today.

That's 1 layer with my hand directly against it, not super private but oh so light....
Attachments
rps20200520_110314_813.jpg
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ribuck » Fri 22 May, 2020 4:31 am

I wonder what it would be like if it was lightly spray-painted with some random lines?
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Petew » Fri 22 May, 2020 8:24 am

I'd say it would flake off pretty quickly.

Stazon ink would work.

If they ever offer it in the .67oz Camo DCF it would be cool.

Probably add 30-50g to the weight of the tent but is a more robust fabric and much less see through.
Petew

Postby Zapruda » Mon 25 May, 2020 3:52 pm

I just received and setup my Double Rainbow Li. It arrived via UPS from the US in 4 business days. Very fast, all things considering.

Pics - https://imgur.com/a/cDBqwaA

The superb construction quality and design are what I have come to expect from Tarptent. I have owned a few TT models over the years and have always been pleased. The small details like the awning between the two door panels and the magnetic closures are really nice touches. The overall quality is excellent just like my 2019 Notch Li and also the Sil version. Ill mostly use this in good 3 season conditions by myself and occasionally with my partner if I can convince her to come along...

I can't believe the length inside. I'm 6'2" and have a huge (no exaggeration) amount of room at both my head and feet if I'm centred in the tent. I wouldn't come close to touching the ends even with my -12c bag and on my large xtherm/xlite. My head would likely touch the ceiling if I were sitting on my mat. Its always a pain avoiding a wet footbox in single wall tents but I'm certain it won't be an issue in this shelter because of the length.

The carbon poles are thin and definitely need to be treated more kindly than your standard aluminium poles. The tent pitches taught and very easily. I was surprised how sturdy it felt when setup. I wouldn't want to put it through the same weather as my mid or even my Notch's but I think it will play nicely in moderately windy conditions and even a light dusting of snow.

The vestibules are smaller than expected. Enough room for a pack and shoes but not enough to cook in. No big deal imo.

The tent peg bag and the tent stuff sack look like they have been improved over the previous offerings. The peg bag has a drawstring and the stuff sack is now reinforced at the drawstring area. Nice touches.

Im headed out to Jagungal for a week next week and was planning on taking it but the weather appears to be coming in and ill likely take the Ultamid instead. If it clears ill take the DR and report back with more impressions.
Attachments
IMG_1724.jpg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Mon 25 May, 2020 4:06 pm

It looks great.

I have a 2015 double rainbow that I use for solo walks. It's a great tent and surprisingly solid in bad weather.

Has anyone used those Easton carbon poles for a while? I'm sure vthey are fine I just have visions of them breaking and poking through the DCF.
Petew

Postby Franco » Mon 25 May, 2020 4:22 pm

Cooking inside the tent.
Of course no one ever does that...but for those who do...
I don't have one of those DR LI but if you can release some floor tension from the corners you should be able to pin the floor back maybe enough to give you some cooking space if you have a small kit like the JetBoil or similar. There is a loop right in the middle of the floor sides to pin the floor in or out a bit (if you want to...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Mon 25 May, 2020 4:58 pm

Porch mode works well for cooking.

Franco, do you know if the pole length is the same between the two versions? Will the aluminium pole work with the Li tent?
Petew

Postby Zapruda » Mon 25 May, 2020 5:12 pm

I’ll have to try porch mode. It looks like it will give me heaps of room to cook.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kott » Mon 25 May, 2020 6:35 pm

Oh that's excirting Zapruda...congrats...

I'm between Notch and DR and I cannot seem to make up my mind...I'm keen to hear how you went over the week and how it compares to the Notch Li, so please do report back.
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Franco » Tue 26 May, 2020 8:57 am

Petew wrote:Porch mode works well for cooking.

Franco, do you know if the pole length is the same between the two versions? Will the aluminium pole work with the Li tent?

I think it is the same (144" with the sil version) BUT the curvature of the sleeve is different so the aluminium pole does not work in it.
The CF and aluminium poles bend at a different angle.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Tue 26 May, 2020 9:16 am

Franco wrote:
Petew wrote:Porch mode works well for cooking.

I think it is the same (144" with the sil version) BUT the curvature of the sleeve is different so the aluminium pole does not work in it.
The CF and aluminium poles bend at a different angle.

Good to know.

The pole comes with a repair sleeve which was a nice surprise.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Tue 26 May, 2020 11:02 am

Thanks Franco.
Petew

Postby emma_melbourne » Tue 26 May, 2020 9:50 pm

@Zapruda You got lucky with your delivery being so quick. Mine has still not arrived with USPS and Australia Post.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 9.44.21 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 9.44.21 pm.png (97.66 KiB) Viewed 31300 times
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 26 May, 2020 9:59 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:@Zapruda You got lucky with your delivery being so quick. Mine has still not arrived with USPS and Australia Post.

That’s why I paid the extra for UPS. I often suck it up and pay the extra cash for a courier, it rarely costs that much more and on a big purchase like the DR I prefer the peace of mind. They have their own planes and seem to clear stuff through customs more quickly than regular post like USPS. In my experience I get stuff from Fedex and UPS From the states in 5 business days whereas USPS priority can take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.

Don’t fret, it looks like your parcel is just waiting go through customs and after that it shouldn’t be too much longer. Hopefully by the beginning of next week.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 26 May, 2020 10:08 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:@Zapruda You got lucky with your delivery being so quick. Mine has still not arrived with USPS and Australia Post.

Also, if you haven’t already, run the tracking number through the Auspost website. Once it’s in Australia Auspost tracking updates come before USPS updates.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 27 May, 2020 7:50 am

Given that it took over two weeks for a couple of Sydney warehouses to get packages to me in Tassie, you aren't doing so badly.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Petew » Wed 27 May, 2020 11:07 am

Zapruda, what was the duty like?

Pete
Petew

Postby Zapruda » Wed 27 May, 2020 11:18 am

Petew wrote:Zapruda, what was the duty like?

Pete

$0. It seems that TT made an error when declaring the value of the package... ;)
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Ultralight backpacking