Amsteel Blue 7/64 Fid

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Amsteel Blue 7/64 Fid

Postby michael_p » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 9:54 am

Hi all.

Just wanted to pass on a tip.

I obtained some Amsteel 7/64 from the recent group buy organised by Bluegum Mic (huge thanks to Mic for doing this, you are a champion). While in Spotlight I noticed they sold a set of mattress needles, one of the needles being 20cm long. At the cost of a few dollars I decided to buy a set.

I was very happy to discover that the 20cm needle is perfect as a fid for the 7/64 Amsteel. Even though the Amsteel is very easy to work the mattress needle made it even easier.
DSC06792.JPG
Mattress needle as fid.

Hope this is of use.

Cheers,
Michael.
Last edited by michael_p on Thu 15 Dec, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Amstell Blue 7/64 Fid

Postby Marwood » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 11:14 am

I've used a slightly smaller needle for splicing thinner hollow braid like Zing-It and Lash-It. For 3mm and 4mm hollow-braid like Amsteel, I've used an empty ballpoint pen refill (like this one) with the plastic top cap removed. Although I was too cheap to buy them, Whitworths sells "real" fids.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 11:51 am

Looks excellent Michael (and no problem at all for organising).

Yes I've just been using a parker pen refill too Marwood. Works well but the needle looks good too.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 8:06 pm

I just spliced some dyneema (???hoping it is similar to Amstell Blue) for my hammock setup, using bent coat hanger wire. Haven't yet tried my "woopie slings", but they seem OK in concept. If I end up with a sore bum, they didn't work!!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: Amsteel Blue 7/64 Fid

Postby Rob A » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 9:05 am

With regard to the dyneema, larger diameters, and the type of splice you need to make, model shops stock small diameter brass tube which you can easily cut, file and give a directional sand. Was looking at fids, and kits were all eighty to a hundred and something bucks, nice chrome or stainless and great if you are mid atlantic on some single handed and you need stuff that wont ever let you down ... but for a couple of bucks ... these will do me fine. Slide through the catchy soft fine thread really nicely.

P1010112.jpg
P1010112.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 80694 times
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby michael_p » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 9:41 am

Rob,

What a good idea. Will have to check out some model shops now and see what they have.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Michael.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rikall » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 2:23 pm

You can buy hollow knitting needles that can easily be converted into a fid. Cut it to length on an angle and bend the cut point over towards the inside to form a hook. You can now insert the end of your amsteel into the hollow of the fid and the hook will hold the amsteel in place while you work the fid through the bury.

Rick.
Rikall
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mjcussen » Fri 07 Dec, 2012 8:08 am

This has been a great help! I wrestled with thin needles, pieces of wire, fishing line, sticky tape, "how to.." whoopie slings on Youtube for days. I just couldn't pull the end through!! I managed to get one through after using a thicker needle to open up the weave, then slide the end back through the bury with a sticky taped end. But, overall, far too hard. I thought that a hollow tube would be ideal, so I'll give that a go next time I'm in town. I'm using the Amsteel whoopie slings on a hammock tent and I'm still not sure that the thin Amsteel Blue 7/64 is best for the gathered end. I've tied the sling around 3 times in an attempt to spread the stress. Does anyone else have some hammock tenting expereince with this?
mjcussen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby michael_p » Fri 07 Dec, 2012 3:54 pm

Is this what you mean:

You may also find this thread at Hammock Forums useful (it goes with the video): http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15205.

A thread on bpLite Forum may be worth a read as well: http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4531.

Opie has a video on attaching a whoopie sling to a hammock:

Cheers,
Michael.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear