Crackpot 4* 1-litre nesting pots for 300g

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Crackpot 4* 1-litre nesting pots for 300g

Postby telemarktim » Sat 31 Jul, 2021 2:28 pm

Previously I posted about crackpot nesting backpacking pots from a set of food storage containers.
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=37122

This post is about even more crackpot pot nesting by mixing and matching food storage containers that come from presumably two different manufactures. Both container series have identical diameter specifications and look very similar. However, whether by intelligent design, divine intervention or a tool-maker’s mistake in doing the ‘knock-off, one set of containers/pots fits very snugly inside the matching pot from the other series as shown in the series of photos below.

Having such a compact kit of up to four large nesting pots that collectively weigh only 300g is a game-changer if you share meal cooking with a group of trekkers as I often do. In practice, I invert the inner pots so that they present a smooth rounded surface to other backpacked items. Inside the innermost pots, in my case, there is room for my favourite blower stove+tent stove that fits inside a fifth custom 1-litre pot (as shown in the photo below- 5*1-litre pots and two stoves).

While I have never needed five pots while backpacking, it is nice to have unlimited options, particularly for base camp backpacking activities. The pots are so light that one pot can be kept clean as the soot cover for the other pots.

To help me (and you) nail down the origin of the marginally larger container/pot sets and more crackpot ideas please see:
https://timtinker.com/four-nesting-pots/

Tim
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Crackpot 4* 1-litre nesting pots for 300g

Postby wander » Sat 31 Jul, 2021 8:29 pm

Very useful group (properly organised) kit.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Return to Make Your Own Gear