DIY glued lay flat kettle

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

DIY glued lay flat kettle

Postby telemarktim » Fri 02 Jul, 2021 8:02 pm

I have seen a lot of bad wraps for silnylon tents with regard to condensation and holding water when they are to be packed up. So for a bit of fun, I thought I would share with you my 700ml lay flat kettle. It is light (31g or), compact (folds down as flat as a rabbit on a busy road) and is made by glueing silnylon onto a metal foil base. It might be a good sacrificial use for all those discarded soggy silnylon tents as we move on to the next wonder tent fabric.

The photo above shows the 700ml kettle in front of its little carry pouch along with some other flat backpacking items. The loop on the packet allows me to hang it safely in the hydration cavity on my backpack.

This kettle has a copper foil base, but I think aluminium would be OK and would be cheap and plentiful (From $2 shops as disposable baking trays.) and easy to make. The silnylon is glued to the metal foil that is then folded or rolled over twice. This folding locks the fabric in place and also leaves a soft rounded finish on the metal edges that will not cut the silnylon or the user. Thin stainless steel or titanium foil would also work well and also glue well with acetic cure RTV silicone rubber. A conical or pyramidal shape is required to make it stable and a wide opening for adding fluffy snow is useful for snow camping. The drawcord and cord lock closes the opening for efficient water boiling and makes a handle to lift the kettle off the stove. The last photo shows my now favourite luminescent bead cord lock. I am increasingly using these as cord locks with all my DIY gear. They help me find things on a dark night. They are made from cheap fishing beads, that I cut in half with a wet soapy knife blade.

The kettle with a wide opening works well as a snow melter or boiler on a big oval wood gas tent stove.
Or on a tiny real gas stove.

The kettle on a wood gas stove, melting snow while water is boiled in a real pot. They make a good team.

Below is the bloated kettle dwarfing a tiny wood gas tent stove. The stove has a removable supporting 'v-wire' (hidden) that safely supports the overhang of the bloated kettle. Despite its sub-optimal contact with the 500C stove surface, the kettle heats very well. Detail of the double folded or rolled joint with the silnylon can be seen on the front left corner of the kettle base.

For more information on making the kettle or glueing all sorts of backpacking stuff with RTV silicone rubber, please visit my website:

https://timtinker.com/lay-flat-kettle/
https://timtinker.com/silicone-rubber-for-ultralight-backpacking-gear2/
Tim
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: DIY glued lay flat kettle

Postby andrewa » Tue 06 Jul, 2021 6:57 pm

I love this idea. V clever

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Re: DIY glued lay flat kettle

Postby telemarktim » Tue 06 Jul, 2021 9:02 pm

andrewa wrote:I love this idea. V clever

A

Hi Andrewa, Thank you. It is a bit radical, but I am radical. What about an ultralight layflat bush hot shower? Tim
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear