SilPoly edges

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

SilPoly edges

Postby Watertank » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 6:44 am

I’ve got some SilPoly that I want to use as ground sheets for picnics - yes that is most exciting “bushwalking” I can do living in Melbourne at the moment..! Do I need to hem the edges to stop it fraying as if it was cotton fabric or can I just cut it to size and leave the edges as is? I’ve got 1.1, 1.6 and some heavier weight - I’m thinking the 1.1 will do the job. Thoughts?
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: SilPoly edges

Postby Lamont » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 8:34 am

Watertank wrote:I’ve got some SilPoly that I want to use as ground sheets for picnics - yes that is most exciting “bushwalking” I can do living in Melbourne at the moment..! Do I need to hem the edges to stop it fraying as if it was cotton fabric or can I just cut it to size and leave the edges as is? I’ve got 1.1, 1.6 and some heavier weight - I’m thinking the 1.1 will do the job. Thoughts?

If you hemmed the edges you would need to roll them to avoid an exposed edge. Perhaps cut off a small sample and give it a good rub outwards -hem it of it starts to fray? Or use it a few times and if it frays hem it then maybe? Picnic ahoy!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: SilPoly edges

Postby Cecile » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 1:12 pm

Watertank wrote:I’ve got some SilPoly that I want to use as ground sheets for picnics - yes that is most exciting “bushwalking” I can do living in Melbourne at the moment..! Do I need to hem the edges to stop it fraying as if it was cotton fabric or can I just cut it to size and leave the edges as is? I’ve got 1.1, 1.6 and some heavier weight - I’m thinking the 1.1 will do the job. Thoughts?

I would hem it regardless. If it's a woven fabric it will fray. You should try on a scrap first but you might be able to gently melt the edges to fuse the fabric. Be careful you don't melt it!
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Make Your Own Gear