Sucked in

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Sucked in

Postby Lamont » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 5:29 pm

Could not work out why sewing my fleece fabric was much harder one direction rather than another.
Had made a beautiful repair of a long cut.

Take one- tried to sew the other way perpendicular to the other cut (now you fleece nerds are laughing I'll bet-you know exactly what's coming..) and the machine on the same setting was often stuffing up.

Take two- yes, I now know the fleece sucked me in (I'm blaming this inanimate poly crap) and led me to believe it had the same stretch in relation to the selvedge. Now I know -you rotten stuff!

Take three - can someone help me defeat the fleece and tell what setting is best for the stretchy direction it's about 20% stretch perpendicular to the selvedge and really not much (almost none) parallel.
I believe a ball point needle is advantageous/required.
My machine has a
1 -a thread tension adjuster
2 -a presser foot tension adjuster
3 -a SS setting
4 -plus the usual zig zaggy patterny stitch length settings
Just after a simple "put/try your machine on his setting" for the four settings above if you can and I'll have a crack. Got lots to practise with and for me it's the best teacher.
Thanks kindly
G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Sucked in

Postby Cecile » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 5:52 pm

Telling you "put your machine on this setting" is not the answer. A lot will depend on the fabric itself, the kind of thread, the needle you use. Tensions are not necessarily going to cause problems, although they are part of the answer. What are you trying to do? There's nothing wrong with polyester fleece. Sews like a dream most times, although it leaves fluff everywhere.

Thread tension will vary depeding on the machine. Likewise the presser foot pressure adjustment.

Nine times out of ten if your machine is in good working order, it's something else that's causing issues. Thread, needle, operator error (I'm not immune, and I've been sewing over 50 years.)

You need to learn how to use the machine correctly. If it's older, it might simply need a service. If it's newer, DO NOT EVER oil it unless the manual tells you to. Every machine is different and will behave differently with various fabrics. My old 1984 elna is a beauty and Moondog is now using it for sleeping bags and other stuff. It will sew everything. I only replaced it because the stitches don't work any more and I'm very advanced. Plus I have an overlocker for knits. I sewed knits on the elna for many, many years though. My new Pfaff hated sewing knits and I got rid of it.

Knits almost ALWAYS have the stretch across.
Stuffing up how? Pic??
Show me a pic of your machine. Is it threaded correctly?
Is it a horizontal or vertical bobbin, and are you using the genuine bobbin for that machine? If not, you are going to cry. Get some proper bobbins from a dealer, NOT spotlight.
Yes, you need a ball point/stretch needle. Don't buy Klasse, get good quality like Schmetz or Organ.
How old is your needle, when was it last changed? Put in a new one. Needles are cheap.

Cheap, or old thread thread can make a horrible mess. Buy all new, good quality like Rasant or Gutermann.
DO NOT sew over a pin, ever. Or buy giant clips from Rubyjam.net.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 6:15 pm

Haha It's definitely operator error Cecile. Looked for some lessons but none to be had at this time. When things relax I will get some.
It's a 1983 Janome. Ken from the Heights showed me how to thread it checked it over, but I'll put it in for a service before long. He gave me the bobbin I'm using at the minute. Got a bit of a lesson. Threaded according to the instruction book -that part is intact thank goodness.
Works a treat and very happy with it.
Have not put a new needle in -shall do it. The ball point came up -shall get a couple.
Forgot to put the good thread in -shall do it next.
The issue is the instruction manual is half eaten away literally-each time I have been able to read it and followed it carefully for the job at hand it has worked flawlessly.
The fabric sort of bunches under the presser foot and the thread binds/tangles sometimes in the bobbin-which is under the plate -vertical.
I made a mistake and altered the presser foot tension between sewings and thought I may have stuffed it by putting it back at a different setting.
How firm can you tell me it should be on fleece which has that low (100 gm/m poly fleece) nap? I had it on about half way-ie. half full tension.
Straight line stitching (little stretch) is easy just did some again to check. No issues at all.
Thanks for you help
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 6:28 pm

Lamont - hunt around on line for a pdf version of the instruction manual. I managed to find one for my mid 60s Pfaff 362 which was without when purchased. Lots of groups devoted to old sewing machines including single brand and single model groups. I have done this for all my tools, household appliances etc. Anything new coming into the house has an online version of the manual located and saved.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 6:51 pm

Mark F wrote:Lamont - hunt around on line for a pdf version of the instruction manual. I managed to find one for my mid 60s Pfaff 362 which was without when purchased. Lots of groups devoted to old sewing machines including single brand and single model groups. I have done this for all my tools, household appliances etc. Anything new coming into the house has an online version of the manual located and saved.

Spent a couple of hours already Mark. No luck.
The pages are two thirds there for most of the book-just when I want to find something-the page is damaged/gone.
The very pages on the issue I'm trying to resolve are the most damaged. I'll keep plugging away-trial and error is a great teacher.
It's just the constant clips behind the ear I am finding a bit annoying.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Cecile » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 9:38 pm

Fabric bunching under the presser foot could be a few things: presser foot pressure too hard, feed dogs not working properly. Personally, I am not a fan of the vertical bobbin, partly because I have mobility issues in my hands and partly because I have never owned a machine that has one, but they are apparently the best for accurate stitching. The GSM of the fabric has less to do with how it feeds through the machine other than the machine itself.

Try running some through the machine without touching it. It should feed straight and true, not pull to either side. The feed dogs should do the work, you should never pull.

I"m headed to bed but happy to chat with you. Shoot me a pic of the machine, and a pic of what is happening with the fabric bunching. I'm not an expert, but will be happy to try and guide you.

Lamont wrote:Haha It's definitely operator error Cecile. Looked for some lessons but none to be had at this time. When things relax I will get some.
It's a 1983 Janome. Ken from the Heights showed me how to thread it checked it over, but I'll put it in for a service before long. He gave me the bobbin I'm using at the minute. Got a bit of a lesson. Threaded according to the instruction book -that part is intact thank goodness.
Works a treat and very happy with it.
Have not put a new needle in -shall do it. The ball point came up -shall get a couple.
Forgot to put the good thread in -shall do it next.
The issue is the instruction manual is half eaten away literally-each time I have been able to read it and followed it carefully for the job at hand it has worked flawlessly.
The fabric sort of bunches under the presser foot and the thread binds/tangles sometimes in the bobbin-which is under the plate -vertical.
I made a mistake and altered the presser foot tension between sewings and thought I may have stuffed it by putting it back at a different setting.
How firm can you tell me it should be on fleece which has that low (100 gm/m poly fleece) nap? I had it on about half way-ie. half full tension.
Straight line stitching (little stretch) is easy just did some again to check. No issues at all.
Thanks for you help
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 7:09 am

Ta again. Yes the bobbin is a mongrel to get out and in. Set way back too. I will run some fabric through and look for what you mention. Ta very much for the tip and help.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 15 Sep, 2020 12:44 pm

Just had a service by John at the place recommended to me -Bellarine Sewing Centre.
Problem ironed out and explains the issues I was having. Lack of use for ten years I suppose and it was jamming which I didn't at first recognise until it became really quite bad. Picked up the ball points and some quality thread.
Sew it's off to work we go.
Ta Cecile :D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 15 Sep, 2020 2:05 pm

Do you have a mini attachment for your vacuum cleaner [ the one used for keyboards] use it to clean out the machines feed dogs regularly
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cecile » Tue 15 Sep, 2020 2:47 pm

Lamont wrote:Just had a service by John at the place recommended to me -Bellarine Sewing Centre.
Problem ironed out and explains the issues I was having. Lack of use for ten years I suppose and it was jamming which I didn't at first recognise until it became really quite bad. Picked up the ball points and some quality thread.
Sew it's off to work we go.
Ta Cecile :D

My pleasure, glad it's all working now. John's very knowledgeable. Keep the machine clean, change your needle often :-) Keep practicing. Maybe one day you too can do complicated garments.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 12:00 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Do you have a mini attachment for your vacuum cleaner [ the one used for keyboards] use it to clean out the machines feed dogs regularly

Whoops, missed this boyo. Good point. Will keep it clean.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear