What to do with Wild Magazine collection

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

What to do with Wild Magazine collection

Postby davidmorr » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 9:03 pm

Two of my friends are downsizing and both have extensive collections of Wild Magazines, one a full set and one missing the first few years. It seems a shame to dump them in the recycling bin. Looking for ideas what to do with them? Or if anyone wants them? Newcastle area but could be shipped I suppose.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: What to do with Wild Magazine collection

Postby nezumi » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 10:08 pm

Possibly check with a local library? It might not be something that they would normally have acquired, but would be welcome to have in the catalogue!
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Wazza12 » Mon 05 Feb, 2024 7:03 am

I have a full set minus No 176
If one of your friends (or any body else) is willing to part with it I am happy to pay a reasonable sum for it.
Please PM me if so.
Wazza
Wazza12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby vagrom » Mon 05 Feb, 2024 1:45 pm

It's really the one's up to 20 years ago that would be considered most valuable, with a sliding scale beyond then. Try emailing some bushwalking clubs like the big 3 in Tassie, then NSW, Vic etc. Would they like to have them? Missing copies have been sought after before in this Forum so i'm surprised at tbe silence. Tassie was super represented in the mag's golden years. I'm guessing that getting them bound in a way that would allow for photo-copying would cost an arm and a leg. Definitely a crime to chuck out. I guess the Australian National Library in Canberra has them?
Last edited by vagrom on Mon 05 Feb, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Warin » Mon 05 Feb, 2024 2:23 pm

nezumi wrote:Possibly check with a local library? It might not be something that they would normally have acquired,

A number of local council libraries have acquired it...

Over 20 listed here https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/12777183? ... 20Magazine
Note some are state libraries, some could be universities etc.. 34 total.

However the local one may still like to accept it, they do take suitable donations.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Letstryagain » Mon 05 Feb, 2024 2:26 pm

The older ones would be very valuable. As vagrom said when Tassie was the main feature it was a great magazine.
A near set I suspect would sell for a decent amount. eBay has 10x bundles listed at $50

Definitely don't throw them away.
Letstryagain
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby nezumi » Mon 05 Feb, 2024 6:22 pm

Warin wrote:
nezumi wrote:Possibly check with a local library? It might not be something that they would normally have acquired,

However the local one may still like to accept it, they do take suitable donations.

That was my thought - there might be a few around, but that doesn't mean it hurts to add to the numbers.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidmorr » Mon 05 Feb, 2024 8:47 pm

A lot of the local libraries are getting rid of physical magazines because they do not have the space to store them. Worth asking though.

Talking to a fellow today, he said that he often takes outdoor mags to the Mission for Seafarers. These guys are at sea for months at a time, and they enjoy looking at land-based scenes and where they might go in Australia.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Sun 11 Feb, 2024 12:14 pm

Newcastle Uni Mountaineering Club could be another local group worth offering them to.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby ZacSc » Mon 26 Feb, 2024 9:18 pm

Warin wrote:

There can be a lot of complications with trying to give this to a university library. They don't even let everyone into their premises. Seems to me the easiest way is to sell it on eBay. I'm sure there would be collectors who would be interested. But it might take a while.
ZacSc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ZacSc » Mon 26 Feb, 2024 9:27 pm

davidmorr wrote:A lot of the local libraries are getting rid of physical magazines because they do not have the space to store them. Worth asking though.

Hmm. It's really weird that libraries get rid of it. Since the function of libraries is to keep magazines.
ZacSc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby davidmorr » Mon 26 Feb, 2024 9:48 pm

ZacSc wrote:
davidmorr wrote:A lot of the local libraries are getting rid of physical magazines because they do not have the space to store them. Worth asking though.

Hmm. It's really weird that libraries get rid of it. Since the function of libraries is to keep magazines.

They would not see it that way. They see themselves as the holders of information, not a building to hold dusty books and magazines. Buildings are expensive, and need to expand constantly to cope with the influx of books and magazines. Instead, they get things electronically, and many are available over the Internet from the library.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby beardless » Tue 27 Feb, 2024 10:37 pm

A few years ago I purchased a bunch of old Wild magazines from the Wild online shop (https://adventure-shop.com.au/collectio ... -ascending). I enjoyed reading them and the history. If you are unable to sell or find a good home I suggest reaching out to Wild. [email protected] . If they are good quality Wild may be keen to sell them on their website and that might help Wild with revenue to continue doing what it is doing.
And failing that I am sure members like me would be keen.
I am sure you would get some interested from local bushwalking clubs or online hiking groups
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby ZacSc » Fri 08 Mar, 2024 5:46 pm

beardless wrote:A few years ago I purchased a bunch of old Wild magazines from the Wild online shop (https://adventure-shop.com.au/collectio ... -ascending). I enjoyed reading them and the history. If you are unable to sell or find a good home I suggest reaching out to Wild. [email protected] . If they are good quality Wild may be keen to sell them on their website and that might help Wild with revenue to continue doing what it is doing.
And failing that I am sure members like me would be keen.
I am sure you would get some interested from local bushwalking clubs or online hiking groups

Looks like they can't even sell it for $2. People have lost interest in it :(
Last edited by ZacSc on Fri 08 Mar, 2024 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZacSc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ZacSc » Fri 08 Mar, 2024 5:54 pm

davidmorr wrote:
ZacSc wrote:

They would not see it that way. They see themselves as the holders of information, not a building to hold dusty books and magazines. Buildings are expensive, and need to expand constantly to cope with the influx of books and magazines. Instead, they get things electronically, and many are available over the Internet from the library.

I wouldn't say that electronic media is as reliable as paper media. But that is a topic for a different discussion.
We seem to be coming to the point where there will be no old books and magazines left to pick up and read. 50-100 years from now?
ZacSc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion