Bushwalking when fire risk is high(er)

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Bushwalking when fire risk is high(er)

Postby ggorgeman » Thu 19 Jan, 2023 8:52 am

Interested in how you approach the elevated risk of fire, particularly during Dec - March. I'm presuming that where the conditions/forecast is clearly low-risk, you'd still consider trails/locations that can be readily exited. But where risk is higher due to forecasted condition, you'd tend to stay away altogether?
My view tends to be focused on the Grampians and I'd regard routes such as the Peaks Trail (much of which is deeply embedded in the middle of the park) as being now at the high risk end, unless the forecast is for very benign conditions (low temp, low wind etc) and still only consider sections with easy exit points. But I'd regard trails that are closer to the periphery of the park could still be ok in low risk conditions, at this time of year.

Interested in thoughts.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Bushwalking when fire risk is high(er)

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 19 Jan, 2023 9:18 am

Pretty sure the gpt is as safe as it gets. It was high, high on the design priorities to have it cross as many roads as possible to have excellent access to get people off in an emergency.

I'm not saying there's no risk but they have a manned fire tower etc so they have best chance possible to get people out.
Last edited by CraigVIC on Sun 22 Jan, 2023 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Hiking Exped » Thu 19 Jan, 2023 1:26 pm

When the fire risk increases this time of year the primary considerations for me are; mobile phone reception so I can monitor alerts and changing weather conditions strategically, (especially wind speed and direction), a region with several escape routes out to more open ground, and distance from CFA assets. I always carry a scanner so if something does start I have more localised, accurate, timely info and I am much more cautious about what I wear to hike in and what clothing I carry with me. I also carry a mask with me too.

Having stayed to save my home on Black Saturday I know how significant the smoke and radiant heat are even when the fire is some distance from you. If the weather or fire forecast risk is too high I stay at home.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 20 Jan, 2023 6:08 am

Carrying a mask is a good idea. While current fire advice is good, I'm mindful that it will be a little dated and probably not comprehensive for locality. I use such advice with what I can see, which in smokey conditions may not be much.

In December 2019 I went to Kosciuszko. It was smokey and not very pleasant. The fires later came to a few places where I walked and camped, but I felt fairly safe as nearly all the walk was above the treeline. The worst case scenario is a grass fire, with a small backburn and a rock to protect from radiant heat. A creek is another option. At every point I had several escape routes and places to be safe. The best was near Bulls Peaks, a wide creek with a deep overhanging edge. I could sit on dry ground about 6 metres from the other side. There was water; always stay hydrated.

A forest is much more hazardous if fire approaches.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Bushwalking Discussion