Learning to walk by yourself

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Learning to walk by yourself

Postby phATty » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 9:25 am

Merry Christmas all,

It’s always stumped me how people learn to walk by themselves, I’ve done maybe 40+ walks in my bushwalking career and I still feel a little unsettled when it’s just me with only a light breeze and the chatter of birds to comfort me.

I have done probably 5 or 6 walks by myself and not once have I felt completely comfortable even though my skills for those particular walks weren’t a problem.

Is this something that just comes with more ‘alone experience’ or do you guys use any strategies to overcome what it feels like to be just by yourself or am I just weird? I’m looking to gain the flexibility of going solo without crushing the enjoyment of it all.

Cheers.
Last edited by phATty on Sun 25 Dec, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phATty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club
Region: Tasmania

Re: Learning to walk by yourself

Postby Hiking Exped » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 12:14 pm

Merry Christmas too…

Well done for embracing hiking and the wilderness alone!

I have spent and still spend a lot of my hiking and work solo and depending on the region, challenges and risks I think there is much normality in a little psychological discomfort. I’ve also supported many solo expeditions with my work and clients tell me often the same thing.

Assessing the risks and worst case scenario’s and having plans for such makes thinks significantly better. When training people to operate in Hostile Environments we teach them ‘Awfulisation techniques’ which is really just a psychological form of getting people to face up to their worst fears. Basically they develop plans for such which reduces emotional baggage about such worries. I’m no psychologist but it seems to help.

Having skills that are tried and tested under pressure or in simulated scenarios also helps, as does reliable communications and emergency protocols like carrying a PLB or satphone and giving someone your itinerary, route card and some cut off contact times.

Breaking down the hike, route and challenges into smaller individual challenges is also a good strategy with a reward like a food treat, music or even a bath in a mountain river once complete.

It’s very much an individual thing, but some of my greatest hikes, trips and adventures have been when alone. All of the above can also assist loved ones if you are away somewhere challenging or dangerous. If they know the worst case scenario plans, know you have tested your skills and know your itinerary, etc they feel more comforted.

Don’t let that little psychological discomfort stop you though.

Get out there and enjoy it!

Taking on a bigger challenge with a buddy in which you do parts alone and meet up occasionally is also a good strategy.

Enjoy your Christmas :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Stamina » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 4:02 pm

Great post and interesting subject.
I have always been comfortable being out on my own from the beginning. I also thoroughly enjoy hiking with friends too. We are all different.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn

Postby johnw » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 5:17 pm

Merry Christmas! You're not weird. I think a lot may depend on individual personality. I'm almost the opposite to you.
I've never walked overnight alone but usually walk solo on day hikes, including some relatively remote places in Tassie on occasion.
I love it and enjoy the solace of being alone in the bush. I'm aware of potential dangers and risks but the peace and solitude outweigh them for me.
That said, I do aim to stay within my perceived limit of ability, and take appropriate gear and safety backup, such as a PLB, and leave trip intentions with my family.
Almost no one in my circle bushwalks, so my options are limited anyway. And I'm not a particularly social person, so that probably reflects my preferences.
I occasionally do some day, overnight and longer hikes as a volunteer with others and generally enjoy those trips, but I'm more comfortable walking alone.
I've tried walking with a club group, once. I enjoyed the walk but not the regimented nature of everything.
I'm happy to see and hear no one all day and simply enjoy nature, but I'm friendly if I encounter others.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ribuck » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 7:23 am

I started by doing day-walks solo, when my work hours were irregular and I often had time free when others didn't. Then I started doing "straightforward" overnight trips solo (such as Katoomba to Mt Solitary or Blackheath to Blue Gum Forest).

But what really made the difference was when I got my first PLB, which enabled me to feel comfortable going off-track solo, deep into the wilderness.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CBee » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 8:54 am

I walk alone even when I'm with a group. Because I'm too slow and they leave me behind. But I really like to be alone in the wild, I'd say spiritual...
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 10:03 am

I've walked solo daywalks almost all my life, but still found the transition to solo overnighters challenging. I'm OK now going a week solo but it took a while to get there. I agree with much of what others have said. I too had/have a bunch of issues which required a change to my approach. Some of these issues are simple and yet complicated (if that makes sense), and while it gets easier with time, I'm still working on it.

- I found planning what you are going to take more worrisome. Before I'd just more or less throw stuff into a pack and head out, now I double check everything and double check again because you can't borrow anything off your fellow travellers if they're not there. Silly little things like "what if I lose my car-keys?" become a major concern. What you pack in the first aid and repair kit becomes much more meaningful.
- I found planning a route more involved. It used to be a case of just checking out a ridge or something and going to have a look with your friends. Solo I want to avoid any rock climbing or dodgy ground. Also you're relying on your own navigation skills without anyone to brainstorm with, so the GPS has become essential rather than optional.
- Entertaining myself after dark is the major issue I have struggled with. Books are heavy, Kindles are breakable and battery limited. I take a cheap MP3 player now and listen to podcasts.
- I don't like wearing gaiters but use them solo. I see lot's more snakes walking on my own despite how much noise I make. Not saying the gaiters will prevent a snake bite, I just feel safer.

While I am more cautious, I've found solo walking a very enjoyable experience. I find I can walk further, and get less tired, because I proceed at my own pace. I rest and camp where and when I want. And I have met many other solo walkers on my walks so have never felt truly alone.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 12:32 pm

Agree with Johnno, you need to prepare and plan better when solo and at times, abandon the walk for safety reason. If you fall and knock yourself out, there's no one around to save you.

I started overnighting solo by necessity. Mortgage, school fees and all the costs of family. I didn't have a whole lot of money, but there was no way I was going to sit around the house on my holidays. Bushwalking was about all I could afford. First night out, I was a bit nervous but got used it pretty quickly. Working with people 5 days a week, cramming onto public transport, screaming kids, having to do stuff with other parents... Honestly didn't take long to fall in love with multi-day walking and getting away from all that.

These days I'm retired, so I have a lot more flexibility to walk with others and I do enjoy walking with others but still love walking solo. You can do what you want when you want. You don't have to worry about anyone else or what their thinking. Am I holding them up, are they getting tired and want a break...

I think if you want to get into it and a bit nervous, do some of the very popular walks first (6 foot track, Overland track...) so you're not feeling too isolated to start with.

Entertainment at night, I've got Netflix and music downloaded on my phone. So I use my phone for everything electronic and carry a PLB (now inReach mini) just in case. But I think everyone should carry an emergency device and first aid kit. Groups do get lost and separated occasionally.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 12:48 pm

How well you walk with a group or how well you can pace and make judgements yourself as a solo walker can depend a lot on background and upbringing.

Many people integrate well into group walking and fear to step outside of a group to walk solo. Others enjoy the challenges of walking solo every chance they get, making decisions, pacing, route-finding, seeking resources etc. I'm sure there are others on this forum doing that. I fall into the category of solo walker too, having stepped out with diverse groups in the 1980s (VNPA, Bendigo Outdoors, Melbourne Uni, others...). Years of working autonomously in various jobs also directed my preference to walk solo and manage time and pace. People who have neither walked in groups nor walked solo may find the choice troubling, and indeed there are advantages and disadvantages to each. If you are keen to break away and walk solo, start with a short overnight walk close to home. Then return home and look at how you and the trip went. Follow it up with progressively longer walks, leaving the more remote walks until last as the final challenge. I take my phone and a kindle and a thin book to read, and usually bed down long before 9.30pm even in the summer.

I get irritated by seeing large groups huddled by a roaring fire in the bush when it is 37°c. I am not one to sit by a campfire, toast marshmellows and sing kumbuya/holding hands. I'll sit comfy and snug in my Helinox Zero with a gin and lamingtons for supper, and watch the scenery rather than chatter over a crackling fire with anybody else carping about marriage problems, kids, vet bills and car breakdowns. Solo walkies has advantages but it can be an alien concept to those accustomed to having people around them.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phATty » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 5:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies, what a constructive thread.

It’s funny because always being a bit of an introvert and growing up without siblings I’ve always enjoyed my time by myself. But there is that certain sense of loneliness and danger associated with bushwalking that tips the scales even though with some groups (I lead walks frequently in a bushwalking club) it is virtually like I am walking by myself and making the calls.

Sometimes I love group walks but there are always down sides to not being your own boss and always having to support other people, the positives being you have the favour returned. Don’t get me wrong I love my mates but it’s great to have the flexibility of being by yourself and the burden of care lifted.

It’s also a sense of the unknown which is tricky and is especially relevant for off-track walking or even tracked walking on rougher routes and pads.

Keep the tips coming, I’m hoping to apply some of these discussions soon and I’m sure I’m not alone!

Cheers.
phATty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club

Postby Xplora » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 6:20 pm

I tend to think you are either built for going solo or you are not. If you don't feel comfortable going solo there may be a reason. I don't know if it is something you can learn. You can learn the skills needed but that is different. I have a voice in my head that shouts at me when I don't listen to the gentle tones of caution. If you don't feel comfortable on your own I would suggest you don't do it. Good advice above to do day walks on your own first.

Walking on your own gives you much more confidence when leading others through difficult terrain or conditions if you have experienced them on your solo trips. Hopefully you survive the experience.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 27 Dec, 2022 8:16 pm

There's good advice above.

I spent several decades with bushwalking clubs on day, weekend and extended trips, leading a lot of them. It was great fun and I enjoyed those trips immensely. It was very useful for more experienced people who knew the way from earlier trips to lead the group in subtle places. Instead of going away most weekends like I did then, now I go on longer trips less often.

A weekend trip has the first day of walking as the second-last day, not quite an immersion in nature. I like the way that a week or two away allows the terrain and weather to become part of me. Reality is a moving envelope of where I was yesterday, where I am now, and where I hope to get to tomorrow, with an eye for the end of the trip.

Walking solo means that I can leave camp any time (usually early, sometimes before dawn), have rests as often or as little as I like, vary the plan to suit changing conditions, and camp where and when I like. Being alone means that great care is needed, but as most walks are on tracks this is okay. The worst time I can recall was going up a spur on a track where I nearly trod on a snake about a metre long, about 1.5 steps away. I took one step back - always give the snakes room - and tripped over my feet. It's an acquired skill. Then I fell down the embankment, head first, trapped with my pack and waist band, terrified that the snake was going to get me. Apart from that it's been easy. Blizzards in summer, heavy scrub, rivers quite high, cold ... not a problem.

Planning and caution are needed. My next trip has two rest days in 14, with the other days fairly short, provision for side-trips and bad weather. Just being in the bush is enough.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Warin » Tue 27 Dec, 2022 8:47 pm

Lophophaps wrote: My next trip has two rest days in 14,

Even God rested 1 day in seven. I have always planed my holidays with 1 day 'off' in seven.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 5:18 pm

I've always been a loner, so going bush solo was never an issue. But, if you really need help in adjusting, go on a long group trip loaded with incompatible personalities, where the entire thing is a disaster from start to finish (although everyone survived, so it could have been worse ... ). Cured me of ever being happy walking with other people.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Last » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 7:41 pm

north-north-west wrote:I've always been a loner, so going bush solo was never an issue. But, if you really need help in adjusting, go on a long group trip loaded with incompatible personalities, where the entire thing is a disaster from start to finish (although everyone survived, so it could have been worse ... ). Cured me of ever being happy walking with other people.

Could have taken the words right out of my mouth. A couple of walks with idiots with their own agenda put me off walking with others for years. I am very happy to walk alone. I walk at my own pace, camp where and when i want. stop for rests and meals exactly as I feel fit. It's great. Occasional walks with one other are nice too. It's good to share wonderful places too, but I will always avoid groups.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 02 Jan, 2023 11:05 pm

My second ever multiday walk was solo by necessity (walking partner ended up having a wisdom tooth removed that weekend) and I had a great time regardless, so it was just never felt it was a big deal whether your went alone or with others. In recent years going solo has usually been necessitated by doing the kinds of trips where similarly minded and equiped company just hasn't existed. Fastpacks, mostly.

To be honest I never gave it a huge amount of thought until discussing it with my partner. She was concerned not only with the physical practicalities and survival of being self sufficient eg. carrying all her gear incl. a full tent, not getting lost/injured... but also like many women (and more men than you'd probably think) was extremely mindful of personal safety and the realities of being a short, petite woman on her ownsome in a wilderness full of murderers, spiders and murdering spiders. After a couple of years she worked her way through her fears and has undertaken some serious walks solo since, which she discusses here: https://www.adventuresofxing.com/wandering-solo
headwerkn

Postby rcaffin » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 4:49 pm

I think it is an individual thing. Being in the bush or the snow has never worried either me or my wife. But having a trusted partner does make a difference.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion