Walk suggestions - a week in December

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Walk suggestions - a week in December

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 07 Jul, 2022 2:33 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for somewhere to walk early December for about a week, which would be suitable for taking someone who has not done overnight walking before. I will be walking with my parents - dad and I have done several multiday hikes over the years, but this would be mum's first. We are from QLD and sadly Summer is not really helpful for bushwalking up here. We originally had the Thorsborne Trail booked in June, but had to bail at the last minute. Early December is our next available window. Mum and dad will be in the Perth area around this time, so we could tack this walk onto the end of their other trip (early Dec), or fly home first and visit somewhere else in the country (mid Dec).

We are looking for something scenic and interesting, but nothing too difficult. We're also mindful of the early December timing, hoping not to get overrun by hordes of other people or be somewhere that gets too humid (hot is OK, humid not so much).

So far we have come up with 3 possibilities - Cape to Cape walk, Great Ocean Walk or part of the Great South West Walk. Also open to hearing other possibilities - e.g. could do part of the Bibbulmun Track or something easy in Tas (hard to find something easy of that length in Tassie - e.g. Cape Pillar area and Freycinet are only a few days each). Wilson's Prom would be another option but looks like a lot of the tracks are currently closed. Same for far south NSW/NE Vic coast.

Any suggestions or input from different forum members on what they would do in this situation would be great.

Thanks!
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Walk suggestions - a week in December

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 08 Jul, 2022 6:24 am

Maybe the Bogong High Plains in Vic?
Not too hard if you wander between the Huts and don't decide to get heroic and head off the plains to Mt Bogong, Hotham or Feathertop.
Water shouldn't be an issue.
Could be plenty of people at certain points however.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Fri 08 Jul, 2022 1:33 pm

The best Tasmanian option might be the Tarkine Coast. It's a mix of vehicle tracks and beaches, with optional rock-hopping in many places to spice it up a little. Scenery is superb, rivers are usually low enough by then to not be a problem, there's regular water. Only issue may be organising transport. Ferry from Corinna to Hardwicke Pt, walk north to Temma, explore a bit more of the coast north of there if you have time (Couta Rocks, Sarah Anne Rocks, Nelson Bay, etc). There are also some daywalk tracks at Corinna. Or go in the other direction.

It's all wild camping, but. No tanks, no shelters, no dunnies.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Champion_Munch » Fri 08 Jul, 2022 7:33 pm

Hi Baeng, what is the walking like in the Bogong High Plains? Is there a lot of elevation gain in accessing different huts/areas?

NNW, thanks for the suggestion. I think my folks would prefer somewhere with easy access to a toilet. However, the Tarkine Coast sounds very intriguing and I am earmarking it for a future trip (for myself). Are there any formed tracks/routes or is it a pick your own adventure in the wilderness kind of thing?

Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 08 Jul, 2022 8:32 pm

It's partly old vehicle tracks - walkers only from somewhere a bit south of Sandy Cape - and partly do-it-yourself. The beach sections are mostly easy walking, though sometimes the sand is a bit soft. There are a lot of closed vehicle tracks just south of Temma too; the area around Gannet Point is foot and boat access only, for instance, and it's gorgeous. Or just rock-hop - it can be slow going because it's a very uneven coastline, but it's magnificent country and generally quiet even in season once you're away from the open vehicle tracks. Sandy Cape Beach can get busy with the 4WD crowd, but if you duck in behind the first line of dunes it's still easy walking and no vehicles. If you can organise the boat thing at the southern end, there's also a good two or three days walking from Granville Harbour to Ferry Point.
There's a description of the main route - plenty of room for variations - in Phil Pullinger''s Tarkine Trails.

Bogongs has some reasonably level going, but putting together a week-long walk means there would have to be a certain amount of ups and downs. But, say, Heathy Spur to Ropers to Cope to Tawonga it's not too bad; two nights at Tawonga with a sidetrip to the Fainters. Do other sidetrips from hut/camp sites: Timms Spur Lookout, the Nelses, Spion Kopje, Cope, Jim, etc. That way the pack-carrying is only part of each day and there's time to explore nearby without a load. But parts of it will be busy.

Great South West Walk sound like it would be good.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Xplora » Sun 10 Jul, 2022 6:27 am

I will concur with NNW and Baeng. BHP would be a great option. One of the best things about it in December will be the temperature compared to the lowlands. Much nicer to walk with temps under 20 and then sleep comfortably at night without sweating. There will be some up hill walking but NNW suggestions are solid and you just do the up at your own pace. Nothing too bad though. Toilets are at most locations but they are long drops. Plenty of water so you only have to carry a couple of litres for the most part. Good phone reception on most of it and at the end you might find a nice cafe at Falls Creek. The only issue will be the logistics for you. It is about 1.5hrs from Albury airport. Direct flights to Albury from the Sunshine coast are supposed to start this September with Bonza but on limited days. Qantas fly Adelaide to Albury now if you can get to Adelaide.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walk2wineries » Sun 10 Jul, 2022 7:07 pm

If your mother hasn't done multidays in the past, would you consider starting with a supported walk? Several providers along the Cape to Cape, which is a lovely walk. If they are in WA, the Esperance area - Cape le Grand should be okay, can add a couple of day walks (Frenchmans cap, not the one in tas) or multiday at Fitzgerald river if you really wish to do it tuff. Inspiration Outdoors run walks there, and along southern stretch of the Bibbulmun.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 11 Jul, 2022 10:11 am

Xplora wrote:I will concur with NNW and Baeng. BHP would be a great option. One of the best things about it in December will be the temperature compared to the lowlands. Much nicer to walk with temps under 20 and then sleep comfortably at night without sweating. There will be some up hill walking but NNW suggestions are solid and you just do the up at your own pace. Nothing too bad though. Toilets are at most locations but they are long drops. Plenty of water so you only have to carry a couple of litres for the most part. Good phone reception on most of it and at the end you might find a nice cafe at Falls Creek. The only issue will be the logistics for you. It is about 1.5hrs from Albury airport. Direct flights to Albury from the Sunshine coast are supposed to start this September with Bonza but on limited days. Qantas fly Adelaide to Albury now if you can get to Adelaide.

As a city dweller, I drive 4 hours to get to Falls Creek from Melbourne. Wondering if it would be cheaper to fly to Melbourne, rent a car and drive to BHP? I imagine boutique (I'm assuming) flights from Adelaide to Albury would be costly?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 11 Jul, 2022 1:32 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
Xplora wrote:I will concur with NNW and Baeng. BHP would be a great option. One of the best things about it in December will be the temperature compared to the lowlands. Much nicer to walk with temps under 20 and then sleep comfortably at night without sweating. There will be some up hill walking but NNW suggestions are solid and you just do the up at your own pace. Nothing too bad though. Toilets are at most locations but they are long drops. Plenty of water so you only have to carry a couple of litres for the most part. Good phone reception on most of it and at the end you might find a nice cafe at Falls Creek. The only issue will be the logistics for you. It is about 1.5hrs from Albury airport. Direct flights to Albury from the Sunshine coast are supposed to start this September with Bonza but on limited days. Qantas fly Adelaide to Albury now if you can get to Adelaide.

As a city dweller, I drive 4 hours to get to Falls Creek from Melbourne. Wondering if it would be cheaper to fly to Melbourne, rent a car and drive to BHP? I imagine boutique (I'm assuming) flights from Adelaide to Albury would be costly?

Yes but..... that would mean going to Melbourne. Why would anyone want to do that? Seriously. You have a point regarding cost of flights and probably more flights but you still have to make sure you fly into Tully and not Avalon and there will be a lot more driving time and fuel. Plus have you seen Albury peak hour? The flights from Albury to Adelaide are part of Qantas standard routes now. When Bonza starts up it is said to be running some cheap flights from the Sunshine coast.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 11 Jul, 2022 2:21 pm

Fair enough. Just hinting at potential options.
In my defence: I just thought you could fly into Tulla (Avalon isn't Melbourne, it's Geelong :wink: ) with wide variety of options timewise. I don't find a 4 hour drive to be a big deal. Obviously if going to Melbourne + car rental cost too much time/money you wouldn't do it. My starting assumption was that Albury would be expensive and infrequent. Happy to be shown wrong.
What the hell is Bonza? Another TIger/Oz Jet?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 10:12 pm

Thanks for all the detailed responses and suggestions.

BHP looks promising, but on reflection I think hilly country is probably a bit of a stretch for mum and dad, who these days aren't much keen on big ups and downs even on day trips. We would prefer public transport to the trailhead too (if possible) so I think I'll earmark the high country for a potential future trip along with the Tarkine coast (which looks amazing).

w2w, mum seems quite keen on "getting away from it all" - I think she would prefer camping in quieter locations to having support staff bring gear along every day or having "glamping" options. Likely dad or I will help carry some of her gear to keep her pack weight down, and we can always adjust that day to day as we go. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 7:43 am

The Great South West Walk has plenty of sections around the 20km mark - if your mum’s not used to multi-day walks this could be a push. Doing one day is fine, backing up can be challenging if your body’s not used to it, no matter how fit you may be.

GOW has relative creature comforts- a 3-sided shelter, toilet and water tank at each campsite. Can be accessed via the VLine bus. The GSWW can too, but it’s a somewhat longer bus trip.

There is also a shuttle which services GOW, and GSWW has a Friends group who are very helpful and can do transfers or food drops, generally for a donation.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby beardless » Mon 18 Jul, 2022 9:53 pm

If they are going to be in WA I reckon hiking some of the Bib then doing day walks around Albany like Bald Head in Torndirrup NP, Porongurup NP (including Castle Rock) and having at least 2-3 days days to explore the mountains in the Stirling Range (Bluff Knoll, Mt Hassell, Talyuberlup Peak, Mt Trio all being up and down options and if you are up for some scrambling Toolbrunup).
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 11:07 pm

The GOW is very dicey in sections due to rain.

I would completely miss the short ~3km fire trail loop from the Shelly Beach picnic area to Elliott Ridge campsite and on to Blanket Bay unless you have good knees and stability. The camp itself is nice under the tall gums with a timber three-walled hut and two good compost toilet. The track immediately there is flat but very muddy.

Going on/westerly towards camp 2 at Blanket Bay is greasy and apparently gets much worse. Semi guided tour companies are still sending people that way but the walkers say it is a quagmire. Surprised this section is open or no warning sign/info set up considering the clientele.

Blanket Bay to the creek/river crossing has dome greasy sections (and a koala or two). The crossing is a waist deep wade.

From there on to the lighthouse is quite good as it is higher coastal track and heath instead of forrest.

Can recommend skipping the official day two section Elliotts to Bb or come prepared with trekking poles, take it slow.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 29 Oct, 2022 8:51 pm

Thanks for all the input and ideas, in the end we have decided to go ahead with the Cape to Cape track in WA, since my folks will already be over that way and saves having to make a new separate trip right after.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Sun 30 Oct, 2022 9:46 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:Thanks for all the input and ideas, in the end we have decided to go ahead with the Cape to Cape track in WA, since my folks will already be over that way and saves having to make a new separate trip right after.

Nice walk. I have done it three times now but in the earlier days of the Track. I suspect it has been more developed since then. I do suggest if you have a choice about the direction that you look at the prevailing wind direction. Walking long stretches of beach into the wind was not fun.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby walk2wineries » Thu 08 Dec, 2022 10:34 pm

I like the Cape to Cape. I prefer walking South as one is less likely to be walking into the sun. Besides the twice daily TransWA bus service there's options via Friends of the Cape to Cape or http://www.capetocapetrack.com.au/trans ... vices.html.
Dugites and I have seen a death adder on the trail near the Water Wheel (South end.)
There's a good book "Walking in circles" if you wnt to vary it , or its blowy and you want to get off the beach
look for restaurants along the way ... there's a Lamonts at Smith beach! (winery restaurant.)
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion