Washing bodies in the bush

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Washing bodies in the bush

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 15 Dec, 2021 6:23 pm

I've found that if I do nothing at all, I end up at higher risk for chaffing and other uncomfortableness. Depending on conditions, I've also found that small scratches will get infected much easier if I'm not practicing any hygiene at all, and so even a quick wipe-down is a good way to make sure I've not missed anything.

As for temps, I've found that a quick cool off before going to bed can mean that your metabolism is headed upward, so while you are not moving, it ends up warmer, where as a quick warm-up if over-done leads to metabolism dropping, thus leaving a person cooler. It really depends on the person though, so everyone is going to be somewhat different. But I do think that is why a lot of people do find that they find a temp change. Even if all you do is change clothes, that's a lot of water you are not evaporating (and thus cooling). The salt content won't matter much at the temps for body cooling, as the marginal higher "boiling" point actually means more heat leaving per molecule of water, but it's a very small percentage for a human.

Soap for me is any sort of liquid Castile style soap (dr bronners is the famous one, but there are many out there) and so long as it goes into the soil away from a water supply, it will decompose fine.
I've also found that pre-trip habits matter a lot. Deodorants and such can leave people much more rank than a few days of clean sweating (so long as they are washing) Body chemistry plays into this as well, so foods eaten and all that does matter. Suffice to say, everyone really does find their own pattern with practice.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby PedroArvy » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 8:59 pm

The end of day bath is essential for me. Ideally by jumping into a mountain river. Or a lake, preferably with a few ice bergs floating in it. The shock of ice-cold water is a cup the wilderness asks us to drink from. Such is the way of the mountain man.

Unfortunately, in Australia, these ice-cold water sources are few and far between. So I have to content myself with a shower. Take a 2.5 liter Platypus, add your shower head (which is a spare Platypus cap with 5 small holes created by a hot needle), hang it upside down and you have a dribbly shower that will thoroughly wash you with water to spare. But beware, there could be issues…

I remember one such evening, bathing beneath my Platypus, the setting sun sparkling on my body, the water radiating incandescently as I washed. A fair maiden happened to come upon me. I recognized the look on her face. She was overcome with yearning. Primal feelings had engulfed her, feelings that society has repressed but longed to be explored.

The details of that evening I cannot reveal my friends, save to say one of us walked away deeply shocked and ashamed of what transpired. Such is the way of the mountains.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby GBW » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 10:57 pm

Wet chux with a squirt of Dettol hand sanitiser does me. Available in 50ml bottle.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 4:22 pm

Sue & I try to have a brief wash most evenings. It makes us feel better.
Certainly cleaning feet is good after a long day. Ditto for the groin.

Somewhere in the Bogong region - I don't remember exactly where, but it was alpine, we camped by a shallow flowing creek, and thought to have a quick wash. Quite shallow, so the idea was to belly-flop in the water, wriggle, and then climb out.
Well, the belly flop bit went OK, but you have never seen such a fast powerful press-up and vertical exit! There was snow upstream.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 3:04 pm

Camped at Talleh Lagoons one very hot December 30th, and an older couple decided it was warm enough to get all their gear off and hop in and have a wash, oblivious to the two blokes about 30m away.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion