Walking Poles

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Walking Poles

Postby crollsurf » Thu 05 Aug, 2021 3:44 pm

I bought a pair when recovering from a knee injury not so long ago. Didn't think much of them before but I really like walking with poles now.

Knees a lot better so don't bother day walking with them but always use them backpacking. Even on the flat they give you an extra kick. I thought my arms would get tired but not a problem. Balance is another area they help and save you energy, especially later in the day when you are feeling tired.

I never adjust mine except when setting up with my tent. Have them set at 125cm. If the track is narrow, I carry them in my hands. Rock scrambling they are a hindrance but overall, I think I can walk further with less effort using poles.
Last edited by crollsurf on Sat 07 Aug, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Thu 05 Aug, 2021 9:07 pm

crollsurf wrote:I thought my arms would get [tired] but not a problem.

For a long time I only used one pole. Then I took two mismatched ones on a trip where I was walking 10-12 hours non-stop each day and I really noticed the difference in the two poles. The one that was slightly heavier fatigued that arm more. It's worth getting light poles I think.

crollsurf wrote:I never adjust mine except when setting up with my tent. Have them set at 125cm.

Me too. I adjust my grip to lengthen/shorten the pole for the terrain. I bought adjustable poles because they don't sell a fixed version my preferred length. And a little adjustability is important for some shelters.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Biggles » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 11:57 am

There are walking poles.
And then there are very serious walking poles that are far removed from "sticks off the ground"...

https://www.bogong.com.au/leki-mct-12-v ... -pair.html

:shock:

Since I took a fall near my unit, I have to walk with one of my LEKI Terrano poles.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion