Celebrity Heads

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Celebrity Heads

Postby jwalker » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 8:28 pm

Heh heh, I thought as much. But when you're slogging through the scrub and rain your mind wanders!
jwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 8:33 pm

Haha, know what you mean.. I must confess I did wonder the same thing a fair while ago.
Good walk isnt it!! Did you get out to Burgess Bluff as well???
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jwalker » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 8:45 pm

No. We came through from Mt Picton direction. Did the range over three days. Day two and three were pretty rough with the weather and visibility so we didn't continue out to Burgess but got down out of the nasties. We only summited Chapman because it seemed the path of least resistance with the scrub and lack of vision in any direction. We nearly got blown up it actually. Funny sensation being assisted up hill by the wind. Anyhow with all the tough conditions i've never been so stoked to achieve a single point so unexpectedly.
jwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 8:47 pm

I'll bet! Thats a circuit i've wanted to do for a while too! How was it in general??
Have you been up Picton before?? 3 points for that angry mutha!!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jwalker » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 9:14 pm

First time up Picton. Actually the weather that morning (NYD) was OK but a little windy. However it just got better and better that day so that by the time we were on the summit it was clear right round and breathless. Ended up peak spotting and sunbaking for 90 min or so up there. Interestingly the log book up there is only a quarter full despite being up there since '97 I think it was. Not too many get up. Seems to me like a good value 3 points day trip in fine weather.

The circuit was a great walk but somewhat more challenging then I had originally thought it would be. Our weather was contrary to forecast too which didn't help. We really didn't have a track from the hill that descends down into Pinetree Pass or whatever its called through to Chapman. I think our going was a lot harder too cos we could never see far enough to pick out the easier going terrain. We were constantly navigating. Had little water too through this middle part.

Anyhow all of this sort of made the trip in the end. Hadn't been tested as much for some time.
jwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion