Where is your Favourite Place?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Where is your Favourite Place?

Postby commando » Sat 17 Oct, 2020 11:21 pm

Where is your favourite place to go ?

It doesn't have to be a National Park it can be a little country town or village where you soul says "let's stop a while"

For me its going to be NZ South Island Mt Cook area, Mueller Hut, Mt Sebastopol, Copland Valley, Tasman Glacier
a day at the Welcome Flat hut and Thermal Pools is never enough, where you can see snow on the ground yet be
hot in the thermal pools, it's well protected by a 20 km entry hike.

For some reason Twizel and Picton both in NZ are calling me to return.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Where is your Favourite Place?

Postby Lamont » Mon 19 Oct, 2020 6:53 pm

It's alright here. Wax up the board.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Wollemi » Mon 26 Oct, 2020 10:28 am

Torshavn. Literally: 'Thor's Harbour'. Enough said, together with no bushfire risk.

I recall crewing a sloop in a sailing race to Lord Howe Island with some difficulty; a headwind on the bow for 5+ days, only 2 berths for 7 people (the remaining held sails and equipment), unnecessary arguments on board, much shouting between owner and skipper, continual misogyny expressed by another alpha-male towards the only woman on board... So to climb Mt Gower alone made the destination appear as a favourite place.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby dalehikes » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 8:36 am

Lamington National Park.

The place is so special, wild beauty, rare life, unexplainable magic, raw nature, deep history.

It is a real gift that should be treasured.
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ricrunner » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 6:02 pm

I go to a place that is next to Guy Fawkes National Park in NSW. I have a permanent spot, that is near a river. It is on crown land. I intend to move out there eventually, to become a hermit again permanently with my dog. Did the hermit thing, for 2 years straight after leaving the army some years ago, but cannot cut it anymore in the modern world. Hopefully soon.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby PedroArvy » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 7:13 pm

My favourite place is the next place I visit that I have never been to before.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby coimon » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 8:48 pm

dalehikes wrote:Lamington National Park.

The place is so special, wild beauty, rare life, unexplainable magic, raw nature, deep history.

It is a real gift that should be treasured.

Agree.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Gracie LoLeung » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 10:39 pm

I enjoy reading the forum. All the posts are informative, inspiring and interesting. In particular, I am impressed by the narrative of Mount Cook in South Island of New Zealand. It is fascinating to visit Tasman Glacier seeing snow on the ground while relaxing in the warmth of the thermal pools. In addition, I am inspired by bushwalking in Guy Fawkes River National Park in NSW where birdwatching, fishing and swimming are top to-do activities as well as hiking.

I am a member of a Victoria bushwalking club. My favourite place is Dandenong Ranges National Park, just an hour’s drive from Melbourne CBD. Dandenongs are just a set of low mountain ranges, the highest rises only to 633 metres. I love the ash forest trails, thick lush fern gullies, waterfalls, panoramic views and native wildlife. The walk meanders through the forest containing the tallest flowering hardwood in the world, the Mountain Ash (Eucalyptus). There are exceedingly tall eucalypts with very straight trunks. Al least 25 trees exceed 80 metres in height along Sassafras Creek. Furthermore, the Mountain Ash Forest comes with an understorey of a variety of fern species, which add ecological and aesthetic significance. The different terrains suit various level of fitness walkers. I like to hear your say if you have been there before.
Gracie LoLeung
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 28 Oct, 2020 1:24 pm

Right now, anywhere in the bush would be nice after months at home. The Copland Pass is good, but quite hairy on the upper reaches on both sides, ropes and alpine skills essential. The western bluffs were a bit scary. That said, the experience is wonderful - open valleys, snow, thick forest and warm swimming. At the other end of the spectrum the Dandenong Ranges are brilliant, tourist walks, old tramlines, massive trees, dense forest, and occasionally snow.

Jagungal in winter is good, with snow hiding man-made features, softening everything except sastrugi and poles and rocks with icicles. The ability to go nearly anywhere is good. It's possible to do this in summer, but with a metre of snow the options expand. The Walls of Jerusalem and surrounding areas have lovely walking, mainly open, clean water, good campsites and a sense of remoteness not usually found with easy off track trips.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Oct, 2020 4:44 pm

I'm still trying to get into the concept of one single favourite place. Tasmania maybe ... except that leaves out the Centre, the Top End, the Pilbara, the Australian Alps, the SE SA karst zone ... (just for starters).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 28 Oct, 2020 4:53 pm

I have many "favourite" places but because these places are associated with simple happy memories they wouldn't mean much to anybody else. Most of them are here in Victoria but a couple are in Scotland.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kicyclist » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 11:41 am

+1 for Lord Howe Island.
The world's southern most coral reef is there. Easy to snorkel and see the corals & fish.
For such a small island (11k long 2.8k wide) there are many different bushwalks available with good views of LHI itself and the magnificent Balls Pyramid.
Here in SA its the Limestone Coast that I keep returning to.
kicyclist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 12:06 pm

kicyclist wrote:+1 for Lord Howe Island.
The world's southern most coral reef is there. Easy to snorkel and see the corals & fish.
For such a small island (11k long 2.8k wide) there are many different bushwalks available with good views of LHI itself and the magnificent Balls Pyramid.
Here in SA its the Limestone Coast that I keep returning to.

This isn't a personal comment, just I see the Limestone coast name pop-up so I took a look at what it meant...

Is the Limestone Coast is a recent marketing name?

The Geology doesn't stop at the Vic. border (141 meridian line).
There's Cretaceous limestones all through south eastern SA and South Western Vic.
I mean 12 apostles, London Bridge, etc are Limestone structures.
There's more newer Volcanics in South Western Vic than SA (Mt Gambier's maar complex is newer Volcanics).
Anyway, it's a new concept to me, calling that corner of SA 'Limestone coast' I guess it's similar to Calling Cape Otway to Pt Fairy 'Shipwreck coast'
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 12:12 pm

When I was a kid living on a farm, where there really wasn't too much close bush and not having rich parents didn't go anywhere, I had a holiday with relatives at the Prom.
On a day walk to Sealer's we stopped at Ferny Glade. It was so nice after walking up to Windy Saddle from Telegraph saddle on a hot day, it seemed other worldly (probably heat stroke).
That stuck with me for years. But that's gone now, so not sure I have a 'favorite' place.
The prom. still tickles the nostalgia center of my brain I guess.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 1:39 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
kicyclist wrote:Here in SA its the Limestone Coast that I keep returning to.

This isn't a personal comment, just I see the Limestone coast name pop-up so I took a look at what it meant...

It's been called that from well before I started my cave diving career, which was back in the 80s. Generally included the bit over the border in Vic as well (Princess Margaret Rose, Nelson River etc).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 1:44 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:
kicyclist wrote:Here in SA its the Limestone Coast that I keep returning to.

It's been called that from well before I started my cave diving career, which was back in the 80s. Generally included the bit over the border in Vic as well (Princess Margaret Rose, Nelson River etc).

Righto. I grew up a few hours from that area (east of Warrnambool), and I'm not familiar with it.
But that's probably down to my ignorance/head up bum view of the world. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 2:03 pm

Ah Yes... Lord Howe Island

Its kinda of a weird place and completely different from a normal Norfolk Island.

On Lord Howe island any house or land for sale is offered to all the inhabitants and their immediate families first
before it goes up for public sale.
All power comes from a diesel generator burning 24/7 and there is a spare generator for mainteneance or failure purposes,
a good place to invest in Solar Energy.
I arrived after getting off the Bark Endeavour which sailed from Kiama, as there was no accomodation i slept in a cave on the beach
near the golf course, i was the only one who got off the boat as the rest sailed back.

I had an epiphany about fishing after i met a pet groper on a snorkelling trip who greets all divers and and been for 17 years before
that, he welcomed them to his home in the reef by swimming at them and was fearless of the contact and liked to surprise you,
after all it was his home.

I saw a bulletin board there asking for all sorts of things like chiropractors, dentists, medical services, the library was good.
Climbing Mt Gower was a paid guide only twice per week i missed out, but saw all the other parts and North Head, Kims lookout
is good walking didn't see anyone which i guess is normal. Also found the crash site of the RAAF WW2 Catalina which crashed into the hill,
all the wreckage is untouched and still remains in place all over the hilltop and paddock.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 4:39 pm

Favorite places?
KNP
Kowmung
Wollemi

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 10:38 pm

north-north-west wrote:I'm still trying to get into the concept of one single favourite place. Tasmania maybe ... except that leaves out the Centre, the Top End, the Pilbara, the Australian Alps, the SE SA karst zone ... (just for starters).

Moondog55 wrote:I have many "favourite" places but because these places are associated with simple happy memories they wouldn't mean much to anybody else. Most of them are here in Victoria but a couple are in Scotland.

I can identify with both of those views. Definitely have many favourites, some of them pretty obscure. I've been fortunate to visit many wonderful places both here and overseas.
But even my local patch of degraded bushland ten minutes walk from home is special, takes me to a spot on the upper reaches of a pretty river system, and I rarely see anyone else.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 5:37 am

Mine is a bit like Johns. Although this spot was my favourite place the march of progress and sorrowful urban sprawl has diminished my want to be there.

Growing up there the place has untold sentimental and nostalgic value but the fact that its so easily accessible and shared by many these days prompted me, like a scorned lover, to seek my affections elsewhere...
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kicyclist » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi Baeng 72,
Yes sure the limestone coast continues into Victoria from SA. A beautiful limestone coast it is in Victoria from Nelson to Port Fairy. From there it becomes a nice tour of the shipwreck coast still with those great limestone structures. The Upper and Lower Limestone coast terms replaced the Upper& Lower South East terminology which was used until about 20 years ago. My town of birth, Millicent, was in the Lower South East in 1959 but is now in the Lower Limestone Coast. I still call it the SE sometimes but don't mind the name change.
Hi Commando,
The wife& I were told there is no camping allowed on Lord Howe! Did you sleep in the cave for your whole stay on LHI?
The walks on Lord Howe appealed more than those on Norfolk for the price of getting to either so I have not yet visited the latter.
kicyclist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby michael_p » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 3:13 pm

johnw wrote:But even my local patch of degraded bushland ten minutes walk from home is special, takes me to a spot on the upper reaches of a pretty river system, and I rarely see anyone else.

I have to agree. The local bushland has thrown up some real surprises over the years. One of my favourite spots is on a secluded section of the river. It's a great spot for a swim, has a waterfall that goes under a rock shelf before tumbling into a large pool, and has some great childhood memories attached to it.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 8:19 pm

Favourite place... too difficult to choose just one.
But - atop Mt Gillen on a full moon, overlooking Alice Springs, Pine Gap, watching road trains and actual trains from the time they appear on the horizon, aircraft coming and going. Wallabies in the background awaiting our strawberry hulls. Viewing the Western Macs by moonlight. And the stars!... oh my lordy the stars.
Solving the problems of the world before we ooze back down the steep gravelly track at a very late hour, to be collected by a very patient partner. ( or a startled cab driver)
Best times! Loved seeing remnant rock of the inland sea floor, atop the range.
Oh and partner took me up there for our first anniversary, his pack filled with a 3-course meal from caterers, crockery, cutlery, music, candles, quilts (said anniversary being in July!)
So close to town, but a world apart. Greatly missed.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Neo » Sat 31 Oct, 2020 10:30 pm

I concur with many of the above, anywhere 'bush' out of town ;)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion