Day 2 'blues'?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Day 2 'blues'?

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 9:17 am

Not sure if blues are really the right word, but it does kind of convey what I mean.

On a multiday walk, does anyone else find day 2 a struggle?

I have noticed it before and had a vague theory that it does happen to me, but last week, Day 2 whacked me - hard. Feeling like I was moving through concrete and everything was an effort was confirmation of my theory :?
I wonder whether it is the excitement and build up leading up to a trip, combined with probable travel to the destination and the sleeping poorly the first night out? Does this phenomenon effect others as much as me?

From Day 3 onwards, I am energetic and can happily walk 20-30km daily from there on in.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Day 2 'blues'?

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 9:34 am

On long trips in the past I found that the first 3 days were definitely the hardest; even if the walking was easy.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 10:25 am

Yep. Second day is always the hardest. I make sure there are always options to make it shorter and easier.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 10:46 am

I've found the 2nd day is a slog.
Let year we did a 3 day hike at the Prom. First day from Telegraph Saddle to Little Waterloo bay was fine. Next day to Sealer's cove via Refuge was a struggle.
Had no go in my legs, and so the hike up to Kersop's, then from Refuge to Sealer's was *&%$#! hard.
Then the third day, from Sealer's back the Telegraph carpark felt like a short stroll in the park. Flew by...

I'd say the same for the Overland last year, the 2nd day from Scott Kilvert to Windamere (curse Parks Tas. for that detour!) in the rain was the worst, but the day after to Pelion is a bit of a slog too, the last few kms from Frog Flatts I wasn't feeling it.

In short, yep, I get the 2nd day blues.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baka Dasai » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 2:25 pm

Baeng72 wrote:...I'd say the same for the Overland last year, the 2nd day from Scott Kilvert to Windamere (curse Parks Tas. for that detour!) in the rain was the worst, but the day after to Pelion is a bit of a slog too, the last few kms from Frog Flatts I wasn't feeling it...

Day 3 blues...I never made it to Pelion. I had to stop and camp at Frog Flatts cos I felt so exhausted. I was really worrying about my ability to make the rest of the trip.

But then I woke the next day totally refreshed and got stronger and stronger as I went on.
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 2:49 pm

It is interesting how the body reacts to changes in activity, food and sleep. I find at the end of day 1 my appetite drops until day 4, it takes me a couple of days to fully adjust to sleeping time (early to bed) and different mat/pillow. Day 2 and 3 are usually a bit lethargic. About the worst case for lethargy was day 3 on Hilltop to Katoomba. It took me all day to walk from just east of Murphy's Crossing to the Yerranderie Road end of the Central Ridge Trail - 10km of gentle fire trail.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 5:03 pm

Mark F wrote:It is interesting how the body reacts to changes in activity, food and sleep. I find at the end of day 1 my appetite drops until day 4, it takes me a couple of days to fully adjust to sleeping time (early to bed) and different mat/pillow. Day 2 and 3 are usually a bit lethargic. About the worst case for lethargy was day 3 on Hilltop to Katoomba. It took me all day to walk from just east of Murphy's Crossing to the Yerranderie Road end of the Central Ridge Trail - 10km of gentle fire trail.

Weather made me miss West Portal on my first WArthurs traverse. When I went back I was older but (supposedly) fitter. Scotts Peak to past Cracroft Crossing in a day, in 35 - 40 degree heat. It was easy. Next day, barely made it to Roseanne ...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 6:52 pm

My off days aren't as predictable as yours, Muddy. In my senior years (!), I don't sleep so well anywhere. Worse in a tent, warm and comfy though I may be. Some nights are shockers, but I can walk fine all the next day. Other nights I sleep better, but struggle the next day.

Scary, sometimes. Recently, I needed 10 stops on my normal training walk. :shock: I thought. A few days later, with more weight, I got to the top without stopping. Who knows??
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GregG » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 10:25 pm

Tortoise wrote: In my senior years (!), I don't sleep so well anywhere. Worse in a tent, warm and comfy though I may be. Some nights are shockers, but I can walk fine all the next day.

I'm glad you said that Tortoise, I thought it was just me having this problem! But in my case over the last few years I have had the experience of suddenly waking up in a cold sweat and feeling like I am choking or suffocating, the only cure is to get out into the open air no matter how bad the weather and move around a bit, then I am fine. This is so bad that I now no longer use my 1p tent (Sierra Designs Lightyear CD) and instead lug around a heavier but roomier 2p tent, or better still a tarp. I ask myself how the heck can I suffer from claustrophobia while I am asleeo? It doesn't make sense. Or maybe it is sleep aponea but how come I dont have the problem in a bigger shelter or under a tarp? Its a damn nuisance, but not an insurmountable problem in the bigger picture.

But sorry Ms Mudd, I'm a bit off topic for your day two blues question.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby wayno » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 6:24 am

second nights sleep usually a lot better, especially if first night sleep wasnt good, poor sleep can really knock you
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 9:03 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Not sure if blues are really the right word, but it does kind of convey what I mean.

On a multiday walk, does anyone else find day 2 a struggle?

I have noticed it before and had a vague theory that it does happen to me, but last week, Day 2 whacked me - hard. Feeling like I was moving through concrete and everything was an effort was confirmation of my theory :?
I wonder whether it is the excitement and build up leading up to a trip, combined with probable travel to the destination and the sleeping poorly the first night out? Does this phenomenon effect others as much as me?

From Day 3 onwards, I am energetic and can happily walk 20-30km daily from there on in.
Definitely a thing

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 9:26 am

Very interesting reading so many of you feel the same way and that age may accentuate those feelings.

MarkF- yes, my appetite is so similar. Could easily not eat much at all on the first day or so, then as I go on, appetite returns.

I think I will put together my future walk plans in a way that allows me the option to have a very easy second day, as struggle-street does not feel great!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregR » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 10:20 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Very interesting reading so many of you feel the same way and that age may accentuate those feelings.

MarkF- yes, my appetite is so similar. Could easily not eat much at all on the first day or so, then as I go on, appetite returns.

I think I will put together my future walk plans in a way that allows me the option to have a very easy second day, as struggle-street does not feel great!

Totally agree. Never gave it much thought, but thinking through it I have always struggled on the 2nd day and then life becomes cruisy again. Will definately plan on easy 2nd day wherever possible.
GregR

Postby commando » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 12:51 am

If you have the Blues on Day 2... Day 1 wasn't hard enough.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby madpom » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 3:16 pm

Interesting. For me day 3 is the killer. Wake feeling slow & uncoordinated and struggle to break through it. Interestingly the easier the terrain the worse it is. Point me over a 2000m pass and I sweat & curse for a bit but the energy/metabolism/endorphins kick in and we're away and back on autopilot. But make me walk an easy flat valley without raising a sweat and I'm dragging my feet and feeling miserable all day.

re appitite - yes. days 1 and 2 I rarely feel like stopping for lunch or smoko and my fixed evening ration feels like too much. By about day 7 I'm counting minites to the next meal, dreaming night & day of food, and really struggling to stick within my daily rations - which are already 1.5 what I'd eat on a work day - and I do physical outdoor work. The craving for 2x rations lasts about 2 weeks after I finish tramping and the full cycle generally sees me put on several kg - which I slowly lose over the successive weeks.
madpom
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: routeguides.co.nz
Region: New Zealand

Postby Birdman » Sun 27 Sep, 2020 11:44 pm

Yes, Day 2 can sometimes be physically the toughest one because your body hasn't yet fully adjusted so you wake up a bit battered from the onslaught of the first day. However, the 'dip' I usually get when about halfway the entire walk, when I have already weeks/months behind me but still have weeks/months to go, while losing body weight etc.
My walking and travel reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/
Birdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Equivocator » Mon 28 Sep, 2020 9:05 am

Seems like I'm very much in the minority but I usually find day two the easiest to be honest. Sure my pack is full of a food and a little heavier, but that first nights sleep out in the bush really revives me.
I don't have to worry about parking the car, I can have an easy relaxed breakfast and pack up and because I was in bed before 8pm (most nights) I can still wake up early and have the full day to do what needs to get done; Enjoying nature.

The last day is usually hounded by logistics and cleaning gear.
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby crollsurf » Mon 28 Sep, 2020 9:15 am

Sometimes day 2 but normally day 3 for me. After about day 5, I'm well and truly in the groove and could keep going for I don't know how long. 11 days is my max so far and I could have happily doubled that.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion