snowshoeing hike and over night camp

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

snowshoeing hike and over night camp

Postby uneventeapot » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi All,

Ive just purchased my first set of snow shoes and I'm eager to test them out. Im after a small up to 5km hike and campsite in the snow. Im located on the border so not really fussed which way I go. Ive heard about Craigs hut and bluff hut but im not sure if I can access most of the way by car? I do not have a 4wd so im limited to off road locations. So if anyone has some advice for small trips id really appreciate it.

Thanks
uneventeapot
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: snowshoeing hike and over night camp

Postby slparker » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 9:04 pm

If you're on the border, Dinner plain is a great spot.
You can drive in, camp at JB hut which has some sheltered sites and there are some great tracks. Navigation is easy and you combine snowcamping with a walk to DP pub (if its open).
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 15 Jul, 2020 6:42 am

Mt. Wills is less than two hours drive for you. You can access in 2wd to the gate or close enough and the walk up is 3km but you can then walk out to Mt. Wills south trig on the AAWT. Next dump of snow should provide some good cover for snowshoes but it may be a bit bare on the lower slopes near the gate just now. Great views and lots of places to explore once up there. Navigation is not a problem and you can always follow your tracks back if you wander off the main track (which I would recommend). Maybe just leave NSW alone for the moment. Even with a permit to cross the border you probably would not want to be explaining why you are walking around in the snow at KNP.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby uneventeapot » Wed 15 Jul, 2020 5:41 pm

slparker wrote:If you're on the border, Dinner plain is a great spot.
You can drive in, camp at JB hut which has some sheltered sites and there are some great tracks. Navigation is easy and you combine snowcamping with a walk to DP pub (if its open).

Thank you we camped there a few weeks ago but there wasn't much snow hopefully after the last couple of weeks its built up.
uneventeapot
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby uneventeapot » Wed 15 Jul, 2020 5:52 pm

Xplora wrote:Mt. Wills is less than two hours drive for you. You can access in 2wd to the gate or close enough and the walk up is 3km but you can then walk out to Mt. Wills south trig on the AAWT. Next dump of snow should provide some good cover for snowshoes but it may be a bit bare on the lower slopes near the gate just now. Great views and lots of places to explore once up there. Navigation is not a problem and you can always follow your tracks back if you wander off the main track (which I would recommend). Maybe just leave NSW alone for the moment. Even with a permit to cross the border you probably would not want to be explaining why you are walking around in the snow at KNP.

Ive never heard of this place thank you I will look it up and hopefully I can go in the next couple of weeks. Good idea about the NSW thing I didn't even think about it. Better stay in Vic just to save any hassle
uneventeapot
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 15 Jul, 2020 8:03 pm

If you have never used snowshoes before I will just warn you that they can be very slow compared to normal walking, if snow is deep less than 1km per hour would not be unusual, much less if the pack is heavy. Best to plan accordingly.
Is snow is firm and consolidted say 2klicks per hour with packs.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion