Determining how much sleeping bag is really needed

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Determining how much sleeping bag is really needed

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 12:28 pm

Also I learnt long ago not to store tents rolled up "Ready to rock" and now use only large and breathable storage boxes, which I have in the most part done.
I'm going to spend today trying to move stuff around in the mezzanine and rack timber and fabrics so I can move
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 12:17 pm

stry wrote:
Biggles wrote:
Umm - yes and, umm no. The poles are only rolled up in the tent if the owner rolled them up in the tent. I have succeeded in undertaking two overnighters carrying a tent, the poles for which I had left in the car. :lol:

Brings back memories of a trip last year where my son was boasting about how he fit everything in his smaller pack, he was so awesome at packing, look how little he needed to carry etc etc. We arrived in camp after dark and wonder-packer realised he didn't have his tent poles or pegs. He slept in the tent interior with the fly draped over him, getting harassed by an over-humanised hungry fox all night :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 9:49 am

Tent poles have been found, I probably need a better storage box then the old cardboard one with failing tape on the joins.
My departure date is now going to depend on our chippie, I will need to be here to work as a builders labourer on the new landing that might finally finish our renovations, we have been using a couple of old pallets for the last 6 years
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GregG » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 5:06 pm

Brings back memories of a trip last year where my son was boasting about how he fit everything in his smaller pack, he was so awesome at packing, look how little he needed to carry etc etc. We arrived in camp after dark and wonder-packer realised he didn't have his tent poles or pegs. He slept in the tent interior with the fly draped over him, getting harassed by an over-humanised hungry fox all night :lol:[/quote]

Haha, I sincerely hope this was a son other than your RAR boy.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby GregG » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 5:09 pm

My departure date is now going to depend on our chippie, I will need to be here to work as a builders labourer on the new landing that might finally finish our renovations, we have been using a couple of old pallets for the last 6 years[/quote]

Moondog: quick, hide those pallets, apply for the government $25K home reno grant, its not too late!
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 11 Jun, 2020 5:43 pm

It's been rather cold the last few days and I have been feeling it more lately.
Since the rejuvenation of my old bag it now has much more loft and if the WM site is anything to use as a guide now probably good for -18C comfort, but I can no longer wear clothing inside it comfortably.
Using clothing as the safety margin it makes sense to take a more comfortably sized bag but then a decision has to be made about the extra clothing.
Do I take the Patagonia DAS which is my standby static layer and weighs 850 grams or take my Everest parka which is so much warmer but weighs 1350 grams. I lose so much heat via my legs that I had already decided to take my DAS pants which I usually take on Alpine trips.
No real answers on such a short walk but it would be important if doing Falls Creek to Mt Hotham at this time of year
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 9:45 am

That sounds like some serious sleeping gear for Aus MD.

I am of no help, as all I carry for backup is spare thermals. IE - one set to wear during the day if needed, plus a second, sacrosanct set for night wear. Serious fall back, cold legs, sleeping gear is to wear both sets of bottoms, but I have never needed to do that. Top is easy - I just keep adding (light fleece, then down pullover) till it works, but again, that has rarely been necessary, even in recent years.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 10:50 am

I've always needed more sleeping insulation than most of my mates. The down parka is really too much extra for the Brisbane Rages but if I make it to Falls and don't take the warm down bag I know I'd need it. I guess if I am to keep bushwalking in winter I need a new sleeping bag and bivvy cover.
Add to this of course is that my health hasn't been the best over the past year or two and I am feeling older than my years lately.
Patagonia Cap 4 are my spare/emergency layers now and also what I wear on my legs in snow
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 13 Jun, 2020 12:16 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I've always needed more sleeping insulation than most of my mates. The down parka is really too much extra for the Brisbane Rages but if I make it to Falls and don't take the warm down bag I know I'd need it. I guess if I am to keep bushwalking in winter I need a new sleeping bag and bivvy cover.
Add to this of course is that my health hasn't been the best over the past year or two and I am feeling older than my years lately.
Patagonia Cap 4 are my spare/emergency layers now and also what I wear on my legs in snow

Hey MD I was over that way a while back and using my very accurate thermometer there was a 3-4 degree drop from up at the highest points down into the cold gullys especially the gully leading to the Anakie end carpark.-can't remember what it's called.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 15 Jun, 2020 2:08 am

GregG wrote:
Haha, I sincerely hope this was a son other than your RAR boy.

:lol: It was the very same son! I still laugh myself silly thinking of it.
Hope your boy is doing ok Greg. Mine got posted to S.A. a few weeks back, looking forward to seeing my grandbabies once the state borders are open.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 15 Jun, 2020 12:07 pm

Too much gear packed but Cecile has let me off the chain for a full week so I've added some bushcrafty gear in case I can light a fire and cook properly and a lot of fresh fruit and fresh food at the last minute.
27 kilos, mainly because I want to work up a decent sweat and really burn some killerjoules, but the weight includes the big camera and 5 litres of water. Also an extra few grams as The Boss wants me to carry the PLB.
Chatting with S2S on the phone I think what I have to sleep in should be good to freezing without the warm clothing and I have warm clothing packed
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 6:25 am

Feedback time on the sleeping warmth.
The combination was warm enough, somebody younger and fitter than I am could probably take a combination like this well below freezing with just a lite fleece layer.
I've sold the big overbag to a member in Tassie who might post their findings too.
While the big S2S blanket will work very well for the purpose I bought it for it isn't really light and warm enough for bushwalking and I would like to see an UL version using the same fill weights but with 900FP down.
Also I think I need to modify my UL overquilt and extend the base by 450mm / 600mm to more fully enclose my legs because the cheap overbag seemed warmer to me and I put this down to there being fewer draughts when I change sides as I sleep.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion