Missing Campers

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Missing Campers

Postby Kickinghorse » Sat 11 Apr, 2020 7:31 am

A while ago now but Is anyone aware of an update to the article below?

Fate of senior campers remains a mystery as police call off search
Police have ended the search for two friends aged in their 70s who went missing during a camping trip in Victoria last month.

https://apple.news/AdnhUnhrRTtywwFGkBL2U6Q
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Missing Campers

Postby kymboy » Sat 11 Apr, 2020 1:46 pm

not so far according to the daily mail...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... woman.html
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby bobcrusader » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 3:48 pm

Criminal investigation now... Another Wonnangatta mystery.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Kickinghorse » Sat 18 Apr, 2020 10:58 pm

Re the original Wonnangatta Station mystery, I seem to remember some articles etc devoted to this in publications such as Wild.
Here’s a link to the original story below.

https://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2010 ... 914117.htm
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wazza1 » Mon 20 Apr, 2020 7:19 pm

Re:Wonnangatta murders
Wallace Mortimer has written three books on the valley and murders. It has been his passion for over 40 years.
They are essential reading for anyone who has walked in the valley, if you can find them.
They are: The History of Wonnangatta Station
Wonnangatta Station-Next 20 years
Who Killed Jim Barclay
He names the alleged murderer in the last book
There is also a Friends of Wonnangatta Station. I don’t know if it is still operating.
There is also “The Wonnangatta Mystery “ written by local historians Keith Leyden and Michel Ray

Warwick
Wazza1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Kickinghorse » Sat 23 May, 2020 11:16 pm

This article appeared in the Age today. Make of it what you will.
Phil

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 54v4p.html
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Sun 24 May, 2020 6:41 am

I don't like John Silvester's writing style and I am a little uncomfortable with the way he has put the "Button Man" in the crosshairs.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Petew » Sun 24 May, 2020 7:36 am

That article was weird. More like tales from the crypt than decent journalism.
Petew

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 24 May, 2020 10:28 am

matagi wrote: I am a little uncomfortable with the way he has put the "Button Man" in the crosshairs.

Agree. Story would be fine if it was telling about events that happened a century ago but putting a prejudicial microscope on a man currently living alone in a remote area (for the sake of a spooky article) is not good.

What happens if a group of louts decide to pay "the button man" a visit..
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Fri 29 May, 2020 8:25 pm

What happens if a group of louts decide to pay "the button man" a visit..
I would imagine they would never be seen again.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sat 30 May, 2020 3:31 pm

Nothing more than the usual fantasy land whipping up of something out of nothing for which journalists are (in)famous.

The only positive knowledge of the whereabouts of all these missing people is held by the wild dogs, and I don't think revelation will be forthcoming from them.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 30 May, 2020 4:31 pm

Maybe the first nations peoples were right and yowies and bunyips really do exist.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sat 30 May, 2020 5:24 pm

Maybe, but just like panthers, pumas, etc. there are no recorded or reported credible sightings, and no credible pictures.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 30 May, 2020 5:58 pm

rcaffin wrote:What happens if a group of louts decide to pay "the button man" a visit..
I would imagine they would never be seen again.

Well, a man has to eat.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Mark F » Sat 30 May, 2020 8:32 pm

nnw - are you suggesting his family name may actually be be Pearce?
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Sun 31 May, 2020 7:01 pm

Nah, he's not Tasmanian.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Kickinghorse » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 12:07 pm

An recent article from the ABC related to the above.
Phil
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-19/ ... 55124?nw=0
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Sun 07 Mar, 2021 1:53 pm

New article (link below), plus did anyone see the Under Investigation special with Liz Hayes?

I had an experience of encountering deer hunters doing illegal spotlighting when I walked the AAWT, they spotlighted right over the tents of myself and my walking partner. There were deer in the bush behind us too only a few minutes prior.

When I walked the AAWT I hadn't lived in NE VIC but a friend who lived here already insisted I have a high vis vest or similar to make me stand out to deer hunters - I ended up taking a fluoro orange pack cover instead which doubled up for this purpose. In hindsight I am very glad I did.

I have been thinking about this issue a bit lately, I now live in NE VIC and what I have encountered locally and the stories I have heard from other people (including local police) is making me fairly reluctant to be out on my own (which is my usual preference) in VIC high country unless it was up on the Bogong High Plains or similar where deer shooters are scarce.

It really is the wild west out here, not much Police presence and there is an obvious attitude that the law doesn't apply in some of these areas.

Detective says police considered possibility 'rogue shooters' could be responsible for disappearance of Russell Hill and Carol Clay in Victorian High Country
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-05/ ... y/13221140

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 6:33 am

jobell wrote:I have been thinking about this issue a bit lately, I now live in NE VIC and what I have encountered locally and the stories I have heard from other people (including local police) is making me fairly reluctant to be out on my own (which is my usual preference) in VIC high country unless it was up on the Bogong High Plains or similar where deer shooters are scarce.

It really is the wild west out here, not much Police presence and there is an obvious attitude that the law doesn't apply in some of these areas.

I have seen many illegally shot deer on the Bogong High Plains. Fortunately most have been close to the road but two were close to two public driven in camp sites. Get remote enough and you are safe and walking through the day is good there also. The wild west is a good analogy. There have been many deer shot illegally at night right next to houses and even the front lawn. Police are more than more than 2 hours away and the government does not seem to care much about this activity. Getting a rego number is hard because plates are removed or covered. Shoot a gun in Melbourne and the next thing there are new gun laws. The problem is getting so bad that locals are becoming almost vigilante in thinking. That sad thing is it will take a death to get the government to lift a finger. My theory is these cowboys would be gone if deer numbers were considerably lower. Too much effort for little reward. Unlike the real hunters such as our friend here Sambar356 who enjoy the walk, the stalk and sometimes even just watching and photographing wildlife.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Missing Campers

Postby jobell » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 1:29 pm

We have phenomenal numbers of deer up my way. They bring in commercial shooters and will take out more than 200 in a go from relatively small areas. If I have to drive at night or dusk I drop my speed by 20km/hr, not just with our wildlife in mind but deer - I see more deer on the road than native animals, especially since the fires we had last year. And hitting a big animal like a deer at night isn’t going to end well. The sambar are huge!

Xplora - well I’ve learnt something! I didn’t think deer frequented the higher elevations. I know they are pretty happy up to 1500-1800 metres but I thought they avoided the more exposed terrain higher up.

The police here are too few, under resourced, under equipped and under enthusiastic.... for the most part.

I have frequently heard shooting during the daytime in the bush - goodness knows what they are shooting, but I’m all for high vis as bushwalking gear in the VIC high country and would encourage other walkers to give that serious consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 1:38 pm

Last week there was an aerial cull of deer on BHP. The entire BHP is covered in deer all the way to Mt. Bogong. When it snows the deer move down the hill. Spring they hang around the new growth and then head back up. The area around the Fainters appears to be the single boys hangout. Driving these roads at night is dangerous at speed so you are doing well to keep it slow. Deer are responsible for the most vehicle right offs along the major roads out Orbost way. The commercial shooters are taking some good numbers but so far Victoria has resisted licencing it. These operators come from NSW and take the meat back for processing. Some are coming from the Sporting shooters Assoc. who have a program to help farmers control deer. We would need to drop numbers significantly to stop the poachers. Poachers are lazy.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 2:05 pm

I thought I saw a police station at Mt Beauty the other day, definitely saw a parked police vehicle.
Is that it for the BHP area?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 2:58 pm

Mt. Beauty has a small station with a few Police. Omeo now has 3 police with Mitta Mitta and Swifts Creek still one. Each of these remote stations are backed up by a head stations when not staffed but the head stations are reluctant to send staff out a couple of hours to a job unless it is necessary. Obviously shooting is not considered necessary but in fairness, those shooting will be long gone before they arrived. Mt. Bogong is actually in East Gippsland so technically it is managed by Omeo. Police districts are not necessarily governed by council boundaries but it is a guide.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 3:03 pm

Xplora wrote:Mt. Beauty has a small station with a few Police. Omeo now has 3 police with Mitta Mitta and Swifts Creek still one. Each of these remote stations are backed up by a head stations when not staffed but the head stations are reluctant to send staff out a couple of hours to a job unless it is necessary. Obviously shooting is not considered necessary but in fairness, those shooting will be long gone before they arrived. Mt. Bogong is actually in East Gippsland so technically it is managed by Omeo. Police districts are not necessarily governed by council boundaries but it is a guide.

OK, reminds me a bit of when I lived in small town Western Victoria. There were stations, with local plods, but after hours during the week, they were on call at home. If something happened they'd get summoned or a divvy van from Warrnambool would rock up.
Obviously, much worse up there if the nearest duty officer is 2 hours away.
I'm aware Mt Bogong is Gippsland (no snark intended), it would be great if you were there when you reached Wangarratta on the Hume, and didn't have another 90min south east drive. ;)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 09 Mar, 2021 4:42 am

No call outs now. That costs too much. East Gippsland council doesn't know it has Vic's highest mountain. Most people think it is in the Alpine shire.

In news of this thread, seems like a drone has been handed to Police. I am sure there will be more to come.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Overlandman » Wed 10 Mar, 2021 2:35 pm

Drone handed to police not connected to missing High Country pair

Victoria Police say a drone handed to detectives on the weekend is not the device that went missing with Russell Hill and Carol Clay, when they disappeared in the Victorian High Country last year.

Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Overlandman » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 10:31 am

Update from ABC

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-14/ ... /100067280

Police investigating the disappearance of two campers in the Victorian High Country are moving their search to Mount Hotham after uncovering new information in the investigation.
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Mon 08 Nov, 2021 11:54 am

One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides