COVID-19 - General discussion

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: COVID-19 - General discussion

Postby slparker » Thu 23 Apr, 2020 3:28 pm

johnf wrote:I do note that the people here that have criticised my views have tended to go on the attack with name calling.

I put up a scientific argument in summery being that:
People living in the higher density areas of the city are inadvertently being in close contact with quite a high number people. This is particularly evident in the crowded parks that are the few places that allow exercise. If people were allowed to go bushwalking at further distant national parks, this would be an activity good for the physical and mental well being of the person at the same time reducing the number of close contacts and vastly reducing the number of networked contacts. This would reduce the likely number of people that could be/get infected as the overall reproduction number (R0) would be lower compared to what it would be if people rather than being remote in the bush had stayed in the crowded city.
I further say that if there were to be an infection in a regional area, the contact tracing would be simpler making any outbreak easier to suppress together with less network contacts likely.

It's true I am not an expert myself. But it doesn't mean my argument is not based on science and logic. It would be good to have less of the virtual signalling and more discussion about the flaws in my view that I put forward.
For those that aren't able to look at the substance of what I write and only want to listen to the experts, I refer you to the Professor in today Sydney Morning Herald

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/ope ... 54m8f.html

"I put up a scientific argument in summery (sic)"

No, you have presented fallacious arguments in contravention to expert advice that have been continually rebutted.

"I further say that if there were to be an infection in a regional area, the contact tracing would be simpler making any outbreak easier to suppress together with less network contacts likely. "

This is absurd. people should travel to rural areas because when they infect the local population it will be easier to trace? How about potentially infected people refrain from travelling - that way there will be no need to trace infections.

"If people were allowed to go bushwalking at further distant national parks, this would .....reduc(e) the number of close contacts and vastly reducing the number of networked contacts."

All people in the city have to do to minimise the risk of infection is to practice social distancing but travelling to a regional area amplifies the risk of infection in areas with less proportionate capacity to address infection. I have told you this 4 times now, this is also what the experts are saying. Clearly you don't believe it or you feel that your need to walk is greater than the risk you pose to others.

"It's true I am not an expert myself."

Enough said.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Thu 23 Apr, 2020 5:51 pm

Higher density is higher likelihood of interaction, whatever the subject.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Thu 23 Apr, 2020 6:11 pm

Neo wrote:Higher density is higher likelihood of interaction, whatever the subject.

That's a case of staggering or regulating interaction in areas if high population density aka social distancing, not an argument for populations of higher infection caseload to move to areas of low caseload and low health resources.

The social distancing policy has worked thus far but the NW tassy case is an example of infected travellers moving to an area of low incidence and finite health resources.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 12:07 am

Two major causes for Covid19 spread;
1. How dense the population is, and
2. How 'dense' the population is.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 7:03 am

Heremeahappy1 wrote:Two major causes for Covid19 spread;
1. How dense the population is, and
2. How 'dense' the population is.

I think we've seen this joke in this thread enough times now.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 8:59 am

Exactly. Enough of the same arguments.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 9:20 am

Heremeahappy1 wrote:Exactly. Enough of the same arguments.

Yes.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 2:15 pm

Don't worry everybody, Donald Trump has solved the problem, he thinks perhaps we just need to inject disinfectant. Now why didn't we all think of that earlier? Oh that's right, because doing so would KILL you dead. :roll: :?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 2:37 pm

Pepe La Chump steals Australian Celebrity Cretin's mantle as Biggest Nong.
Who would have thought it?

Now how will I offload the 50 litres of White King I just bought.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 2:56 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Don't worry everybody, Donald Trump has solved the problem, he thinks perhaps we just need to inject disinfectant. Now why didn't we all think of that earlier? Oh that's right, because doing so would KILL you dead. :roll: :?

Well, if people are dead from bleach poisoning, they didn't die from coronavirus! Makes the stats look better.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 3:02 pm

Lamont wrote:Pepe La Chump steals Australian Celebrity Cretin's mantle as Biggest Nong.
Who would have thought it?

Well, Crazy Orange Leader was also thinking along the lines of the celebrity chef nutbag and in that same briefing was musing that if UV light could kill the virus, shouldn't we be using it to treat the patients bodies. It appears Pete Evan's didn't patent his whackjob idea from other loonies.

Baeng72 wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:Don't worry everybody, Donald Trump has solved the problem, he thinks perhaps we just need to inject disinfectant. Now why didn't we all think of that earlier? Oh that's right, because doing so would KILL you dead. :roll: :?

Well, if people are dead from bleach poisoning, they didn't die from coronavirus! Makes the stats look better.

Mission accomplished then for He of the Oompa Loompa Colouring :wink:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 5:41 pm

10A5488E-9F03-40BD-A9CB-68E5C0578718.jpeg

Was going to try Donald’s concept today in between patients!
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby ribuck » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 5:54 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Trump has solved the problem, he thinks perhaps we just need to inject disinfectant.

Obviously disinfectant can't be injected, but please let's not make up fake news.

Trump was asking a question, not claiming to have solved the problem. Despite the saying: "There are no dumb questions", Trump's question was rather dumb - but let's not misrepresent it.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 6:34 pm

Off-topic briefly, but about the US president, hopefully amuses. This was posted in another forum.

As an English teacher I'm always on the lookout for unique ways English is used. So it is with great pleasure – in fact I think it's an absolute gas to "pass" this tidbit of information on to you It's really something worth "passing around" because it's a "gas" – literally.

Here it is:
It is clear from this site that the verb to trump has been used extensively across Britain to refer to the breaking of wind. It is especially the case in the North, in Wales and certainly in Norfolk.

Over the centuries, fart has not been without linguistic rivals. Since the early fifteenth century, for example, trump has served as a synonym for fart, or rather to denote an especially noisy fart.
(A Dictionary of Culinary Curiosities) by Mark Morton

Trump:
Verb. To break wind from the anus, to 'fart'. E.g."There's a disgusting smell in here. Has someone trumped?"
Noun. 1. An act of breaking wind. 2)The resulting smell of having broke wind from the anus, a 'fart'.

*** ends

Donald Fart has a nice ring to it. Look up
trump fart
and see the nice search results.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 6:35 pm

ribuck wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:Trump has solved the problem, he thinks perhaps we just need to inject disinfectant.

Obviously disinfectant can't be injected, but please let's not make up fake news.

Trump was asking a question, not claiming to have solved the problem. Despite the saying: "There are no dumb questions", Trump's question was rather dumb - but let's not misrepresent it.

"And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52407177

EDIT: posted too early. You're correct, Trump didn't say 'I've solved it, inject bleach' But that's how Trump does everything. He takes all positions, says all things, one way or another, then he and his followers can point to something he said as proof he's a genius!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 7:11 pm

Solid comedic gold AndrewA!!!!hahaha
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 7:15 pm

Getting political, but I found this highly entertaining. Warning: Trump supporters maybe offended.

https://youtu.be/MI-LAWTYlZk
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 7:18 pm

Instead of being blown along with the media wind, the imagination of those comments should have been obvious.

Disinfectants and UV kill viruses, could that be applied... No, not in the complex human body.

DT is known for thought bubbles on the fly. Why jump to decry and call names!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 7:36 pm

Oh dear, didn't intend to create tensions, was having a moment of jest. My sense of humour is probably a bit 'off' generally, shall be more mindful of it in future.
Apologies to anyone I may have offended. Not my intention at all.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 8:22 pm

Neo wrote:DT is known for thought bubbles on the fly. Why jump to decry and call names!

Because he has mismanaged this appallingly, is thus responsible for tens of thousands of deaths, and is dragging the country to the brink of civil war by egging on the anti-lockdown "protesters". There aren't names bad enough for him, frankly.

Ms_Mudd wrote:Oh dear, didn't intend to create tensions, was having a moment of jest. My sense of humour is probably a bit 'off' generally, shall be more mindful of it in future.
Apologies to anyone I may have offended. Not my intention at all.

Bugger 'em. Nothing wrong with your sense of humour. People who are upset over someone calling a spade a spade are the ones who need to get a grip.
Last edited by north-north-west on Sat 25 Apr, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 8:40 pm

Neo wrote:Instead of being blown along with the media wind, the imagination of those comments should have been obvious.

Disinfectants and UV kill viruses, could that be applied... No, not in the complex human body.

DT is known for thought bubbles on the fly. Why jump to decry and call names!

I try to be even handed, and in that spirit: DT is an execrable piece of *&%$#!.
He's a unlearned grifter who was worked out there's a sucker born every day.
He's turned the presidency into some chimaera of nepotism (hi Ivanka, Mr Ivanka, Jnr and *&%$#! wad!), patronage (ambassadors know to book expensive rooms at Trump international, etc), cronyism.
He is the worst of the American spirit that puts trusting your gut and overt masculinity above expertise.
He's basically a cult leader, the way people excuse whatever he does as being benign.
Apart from that, he's probably no more annoying than any other daft 70 something. ;)

EDIT: I forgot about the racism & sexism!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 9:19 pm

Um, they have 52 states and numerous departments. To think one person calls the shots or is to blame is unfortunate.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 9:33 pm

Baeng72 wrote: . . . he's probably no more annoying than any other daft 70 something. ;)

Ageism?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 10:01 pm

Neo wrote:Um, they have 52 states and numerous departments. To think one person calls the shots or is to blame is unfortunate.
The point is that he has a huge following and is very influential. His comments are irresponsible in the extreme.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 10:14 pm

peregrinator wrote:
Baeng72 wrote: . . . he's probably no more annoying than any other daft 70 something. ;)

Ageism?

You are correct. I will flagellate myself without mercy for a very long time. Or as DT might say, a 'huge' time. The best time. People keep telling me, I do the best time. Nobody flagellates like I do. I was talking to Scott Morrison, he's the President of Australia. A lot of people don't know that. Who knew? I didn't. But I was talking to Scott Morrison about flagellation and he said he whips himself like he likes it? Like he likes it. Can you believe it? But I don't know, perhaps I should whip somebody, but I won't say that, because the FAKE NEWS will say I said I whip somebody. But we love Australia, they're buying $100m in gasoline from us, which they're paying us to store. We got a great deal. Because gasoline cost more to store than its worth right now, but I know a deal, and Scott, he's a great guy, but we got him on this deal. He said 'Donald, he calls me Donald, you're just the greatest deal maker'......
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 10:23 pm

Neo wrote:Um, they have 52 states and numerous departments. To think one person calls the shots or is to blame is unfortunate.

you might want to talk to 'I have Absolute Authority' Trump. https://www.businessinsider.com.au/trum ... ?r=US&IR=T
I know he doesn't. The US is a federation of 50 autonomous states, but Trump and his cult wield a great power. You've got *&^%$#@! with AR-15s protesting social distancing, sigh.
But if you're going to defend him, you've already stopped caring.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 10:32 pm

In no way defending, just surprised by reactions.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 10:49 pm

Neo wrote:DT is known for thought bubbles on the fly.

Indeed. Donald Trump doesn't normally use a teleprompter; he just says whatever thoughts come into his head, which are often stupid.

But once one understands his behaviour, one can look behind the inane presentation to find the substance of whatever he's reporting on. And then one loses the anger.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 10:54 pm

Neo wrote:In no way defending, just surprised by reactions.

Why? There's nothing admirable about him. But each to their own.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 11:00 pm

ribuck wrote:
Neo wrote:DT is known for thought bubbles on the fly.

Indeed. Donald Trump doesn't normally use a teleprompter; he just says whatever thoughts come into his head, which are often stupid.

But once one understands his behaviour, one can look behind the inane presentation to find the substance of whatever he's reporting on. And then one loses the anger.

Seriously, there's no substance to him, he just says all things, and followers cherry pick.
Enjoy the cool-aid.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion