Why are our trig points dissapearing

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Why are our trig points dissapearing

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 17 Oct, 2009 8:00 pm

Yes it took longer to come down Lloyd than it did going up :P
Thats an amazing cairn!! Shame it's been removed. I reakon Sprent and his convicts would be turning in their grave!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby tastrekker » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:59 am

I think this discussion has missed an important point so here's a picture of me illustrating the correct use of a mountain top trig. They are for those who believe they have not had quite enough climbing when they reach the top.
18-10-2009 11;53;59 AM.JPG
18-10-2009 11;53;59 AM.JPG (64.19 KiB) Viewed 4234 times

P.S. This is on Cradle so it was a while ago.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrekker » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:05 am

...and now for a serious post...

The Tasmanian National Parks Association are one organisation who formally state their desire for the removal of trigs from NPs on page 10 of their manifesto: http://www.tnpa.asn.au/tnpa_manifesto.pdf They also state their approval for the retention of cairns with historic significance.

I personally would like to see as many of our wild areas kept as close to their natural state as possible and this includes mountain tops. However, I expect their are higher priorities for our diminishing parks management budget than to chopper out every trigonometric eyesore.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 6:23 pm

tastrekker wrote: However, I expect their are higher priorities for our diminishing parks management budget than to chopper out every trigonometric eyesore.

Would be ok if they were choppering them out, but if this is the case lots of them are just being thrown over the edge of the mountains!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kilgoretrout » Tue 27 Oct, 2009 9:29 pm

This is my first post in the group, sorry if I am convening etique. I read stepbystep's throw away line about installing solar powered webcams. Recently I developed some technology that allows a webcam with a small solar panel to deployed at a remote location with the images streamed to a webpage. The technology was actually developed for the aquaculture industry but could be readily adapted. How desirable would it be to install webcams in natural locations? It could also be programmed to take a picture when an animal moves in front of it, and even send an email when its movement detector is triggered. Would there be any interest in this and by who? Kind regards
kilgoretrout
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion