Heysen Trail thru hike 2022.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Heysen Trail thru hike 2022.

Postby safari » Sun 28 Aug, 2022 1:22 pm

Heya,

Thought it worth throwing out there a few thoughts about my 40 day Southbound wander on the Heysen over June/ July this year.

*The Flinders Ranges are fantastic. This was the only stretch of the trail where I encountered crowds of a sort. Very pretty, loads of wildlife, easy walking.

*The trail towns were a surprise, in a positive way. Mostly 2 rough pubs, 1 dusty general store type set ups. People were friendly, food was simple. Resupply adequate in all towns.

*I met quite a few end to end hikers heading Northbound, seems the Heysen is gaining popularity. The landscapes won't be for everyone but the solitude (provided you avoid the huts) was a welcome surprise.

*I utilised the Far Out app mapping system via my phone instead of doing my normal paper map thing this time. The water source updates helped a little and the actual Heysen markers were prevalent.

*It was lambing season and I saw dozens of sheep giving birth and sadly many dead newborns scattered along the trail. It's a hard environment the South Australian Winter. Thanks to the landowners who allow us to pass through their working properties, I hope this access doesn't get withdrawn.

*I've hiked many long trails all over the planet, particularly the USA and I reckon the Heysen is one of the best. I met Richard Savage from Tennessee who was on his 4th thru hike of the Heysen, sadly he had to pull out due to injury. His son and daughter in law carried on and finished their first thru hike.

*Pics and logistics http://www.safarihiker.com/?m=1
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Heysen Trail thru hike 2022.

Postby eggs » Sun 28 Aug, 2022 4:55 pm

Nice report. Thanks.
Still working our way along it bit by bit over the years.
Attachments
2391ShadedSunViewPastMtHorrocks.jpg
Near Mt Horrocks
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 2:59 pm

Riding the Mawson Track is certainly one of the best bike tours I've ever done. Walking the Heyson might be even better, given the time you'd have to settle right into it. Maybe one day I'll get to it. Great write up
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregR » Mon 19 Sep, 2022 6:55 pm

Great write up.

Thanks for the tips. Like Eggs I'm doing bits and bobs when I can.

Keep up the good work...
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby wander » Mon 19 Sep, 2022 7:19 pm

Nice report. thanks for the thoughts. I've never considered doing it North South, sort of makes sense, it would be downhill all the way. ;)
wander

Postby Cloudstone » Fri 08 Sep, 2023 12:22 pm

A good report and write up in the Bushwalk.com magazine.
Regarding the navigation and maps - the paper maps available from the Friends of the Heysen Trail website are well worth the purchase and the funds go to supporting the FOHT. They are very detailed and designed for Heysen Trail walkers.
ALSO digital versions (GeoPDF format) of these FOHT maps are available from the SA Department for Environment and Water. I used these loaded into the Avenza app. You have to jump through a few bureaucratic hoops to get them - and they cost a bit - but I found this format really useful.
I also used the FarOut app during my Aug/Sep 2023 N to S through hike. FarOut is good for up to date info on water tank levels and re-routes but lacks sufficient topographical detail. The two systems - Avenza with FOHT maps and FarOut - complement each other.
I thought this might be useful additional info.
Cheers,
Ax
Cloudstone
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby vagrom » Sat 09 Sep, 2023 4:44 pm

13 years AC, after Christine the walker from Germany discovered the Heysen and Australia's great outdoors, becoming a legend in the process. Oh tempora o mores. How times have changed and resources make the famous trail a better trip. Her description of the storm reminds me of Shelf Camp.
https://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/?m=1
Attachments
Screenshot_2023-09-09-15-54-18.png
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails

Postby vagrom » Sat 09 Sep, 2023 4:51 pm

https://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot. ... d.html?m=1

These rains may have been the drought-breakers that ended the 8-10 year (?) drought while the de-sal plant was under construction.
Last edited by vagrom on Sat 09 Sep, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 Sep, 2023 5:01 pm

vagrom wrote:https://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/2010/09/heysen-trail-jinxed.html?m=1

Don't get me (re)started on Christine.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to SA, WA & NT Trip Reports & Track Notes